Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmhr52
    • By nmhr52 9th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    nmhr52
    Mortgage for flat with grenfell cladding?
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:42 PM
    Mortgage for flat with grenfell cladding? 9th Jan 18 at 9:42 PM
    Hi all

New here so excuse my limited knowledge.

I'm looking to put in an offer on a new build 5th floor flat (the block is 10 floors). Only issue is they've recently discovered the building has the same cladding as the one used in grenfell - and the developers are in a legal battle to recover the costs. So it probably wont be replaced for quite a while - 1+ years and leaseholders may be partially liable for costs. Thinking long-term, if i wanted to rent out how would prospects be?

I've called my bank to ask how whether they will lend and they said it would be up to the surveyor.

What is the likelihood of being able to obtain a mortgage on this?
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 9th Jan 18, 9:55 PM
    • 7,815 Posts
    • 7,987 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:55 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:55 PM
    First things first - you have already checked that the bank is happy in principle with lending on high-rise blocks?
    • Lunchbox
    • By Lunchbox 9th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 189 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    Lunchbox
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    We’re in a 10 storey block (in London, and private, not ex-council), which has cladding but confirmed as not the same as Grenfell and not considered a risk. We’ve found our pool of lenders extremely restricted at remortgage, to the point where we had a choice of 2 without extortionate rates. I would be extremely surprised if any lender agreed a mortgage on a high rise with the composite cladding without a firm agreement to it being removed.

I’d also check the buildings insurance - this will be required by lenders, and again I can’t picture an insurer agreeing to insure such a building without a huge premium (which should form part of your service charge. Check that they have an actual quote and that it isn’t an estimate).

I would also expect contents insurance premiums to be pretty high - try getting a few quotes to check?
    • thelem
    • By thelem 9th Jan 18, 10:54 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    thelem
    Assuming you're buying from the developer (as you say it's new build), surely it's up to them to sort this sort of thing before your purchase? I'd be very wary of buying a flat with a known problem like this. Will you be able to rent it if it isn't fire safe?

If it's just an investment anyway, then why not find another flat without those issues? Is there a big discount on the purchase price?
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,846Posts Today

8,079Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin