Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • techra02
    • By techra02 9th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 8Thanks
    techra02
    Grants for Study whilst Unemployed
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    Grants for Study whilst Unemployed 9th Jan 18 at 9:35 PM
    Hi all

I am currently unemployed and seeking work, but I am finding a combination of age (56) and the fact I have been out of work for over a year is making it really difficult. After the break at Christmas I am thinking that one of the best ways to get back into work is to do some further study - however funds are very tight. Are there any grants or funded study that anyone knows of that could help. I have a MA but that was over 20 years ago - I have tried voluntary work but they all want references and I don't have any.

Thanks in advance.
Page 1
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 9th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    Hi all

I am currently unemployed and seeking work, but I am finding a combination of age (56) and the fact I have been out of work for over a year is making it really difficult. After the break at Christmas I am thinking that one of the best ways to get back into work is to do some further study - however funds are very tight. Are there any grants or funded study that anyone knows of that could help. I have a MA but that was over 20 years ago - I have tried voluntary work but they all want references and I don't have any.

Thanks in advance.
    Originally posted by techra02
    I don't see how further study would necessarily make it easier to get a job.

There are lots of places that require volunteers that don't require references but is there a reason why you are concerned about them as surely you have them after working up until a year ago.

Do you have any idea what you want to do??
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 9th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    Here are some links which may be useful to you -

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/work-experience-and-internships/volunteering

https://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/volunteering/Pages/Howtovolunteer.aspx

https://www.ncvo.org.uk/ncvo-volunteering/i-want-to-volunteer
    • techra02
    • By techra02 10th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    techra02
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    Seeking work
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    Thanks for the reply, a course I feel would demonstrate that I was doing something productive with my year and at 56 was not too old for new study. As for volunteering without references, I have yet to find one from charity shop/animal shelter/CAB/stewarding/Guide Dogs so if you are aware of others do let me know.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 10th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    Thanks for the reply, a course I feel would demonstrate that I was doing something productive with my year and at 56 was not too old for new study. As for volunteering without references, I have yet to find one from charity shop/animal shelter/CAB/stewarding/Guide Dogs so if you are aware of others do let me know.
    Sorry if this sounds direct but do you honestly not have anyone that would give you a reference??
    • mycleverbunnies
    • By mycleverbunnies 11th Jan 18, 2:42 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    mycleverbunnies
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:42 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:42 AM
    I think you can study part time and still receive JSA.You could look at local colleges for part time courses.Theres ILA's( individual learning account) to help with most of the cost.I am in Scotland & courses I saw were Food Hygiene, British Sign Language plus others.Then there's open university. I guess what you do depends on what kind of job you want to return to.If it's part time evening or a single day course you could still apply for jobs while studying.Hope you find something.There should be careers officers to help people with this I think.
    • mycleverbunnies
    • By mycleverbunnies 11th Jan 18, 2:44 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    mycleverbunnies
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:44 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:44 AM
    Should have added.Start with thinking what type of job you want,what skills you could improve or learn to help you get the job then search for courses.
    • techra02
    • By techra02 11th Jan 18, 7:14 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    techra02
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:14 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:14 AM
    I know it sounds strange but my previous workplace reference has left, and I haven working as a carer for my elderly mother so got a bit out of circulation. I also made a bit of a bad? judgement call as I have used friends for voluntary work - however lot's of volunteer places sign you up and then don't want volunteers that are looking for work 'its not worth them putting the time into train' is what I am told. Rock and a hard place comes to mind. But I do want to work.
    • techra02
    • By techra02 11th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    techra02
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    I was looking at Project Management type courses, but BSL would help as I want to work directly with people.
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 11th Jan 18, 8:00 AM
    • 1,799 Posts
    • 2,429 Thanks
    NeilCr
    I know it sounds strange but my previous workplace reference has left, and I haven working as a carer for my elderly mother so got a bit out of circulation. I also made a bit of a bad? judgement call as I have used friends for voluntary work - however lot's of volunteer places sign you up and then don't want volunteers that are looking for work 'its not worth them putting the time into train' is what I am told. Rock and a hard place comes to mind. But I do want to work.
    I did volunteer recruitment for my CAB for a while. We definitely were happy with personal as opposed to work references (some volunteers don’t have a work history or it’s old). We also understood that people could be looking for work - indeed, quite a few of our volunteers were when I was there. CAB looked good on their CV and we were happy to have them for as much time as possible. Some came back to us too.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,200Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter