Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Luke
    • By MSE Luke 9th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 269Posts
    • 76Thanks
    MSE Luke
    0 WOW
    12 ways to STOP wasting food and drink
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    0 WOW
    12 ways to STOP wasting food and drink 9th Jan 18 at 9:18 PM
    'Are you always throwing out food that's gone off? Back in November, it was claimed new food labelling guidance could save shoppers £1 billion a year by prolonging the lifespan of food and stopping edible items being thrown out. That's likely to be introduced later this year - but in the meantime we've 12 tips to help you stop throwing food (and money) in the bin...'

Read MSE Sarah M's full blog: '12 ways to STOP wasting food and drink'

Page 1
    • robin58
    • By robin58 11th Jan 18, 3:13 AM
    • 2,418 Posts
    • 2,759 Thanks
    robin58
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:13 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:13 AM
    Yet again I see the 'you must store eggs in a fridge' fallacy.

You don't have to store them in a fridge in the UK because unlike the USA where they wash them and because of that they MUST be kept in a fridge.

In the UK they are not washed and because of that are sold from the normal shelf in supermarkets.

Just store them in cool non smelly area. Luckily I have a pantry/larder.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 11th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 6,691 Posts
    • 19,570 Thanks
    Doc N
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    Eggs (from the British Egg Information Service):

Store eggs at a constant temperature below 20°C - this maintains freshness and quality. The fridge is the best place to keep them in domestic kitchens

Fridge door best avoided because of fluctuating temperatures due to the door being opened regularly.

https://www.egginfo.co.uk/egg-safety/storage-and-handling

Tomatoes (New Scientist):

Some foods just aren’t meant to go in the fridge – like tomatoes. As some consumers have long known, refrigerating them permanently impairs their flavour, but the reasons were elusive. New insights into why this happens may some day help us develop varieties that retain their flavour during cold storage.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2109336-heres-why-putting-tomatoes-in-the-fridge-makes-them-tasteless/
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 11th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    • 6,394 Posts
    • 4,084 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    Thanks Luke. Another trick is to stock up your freezer on Offer days. Filled up mine at Christmas with 19p bargains.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 11th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 54,576 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:06 PM
    Thanks Luke. Another trick is to stock up your freezer on Offer days. Filled up mine at Christmas with 19p bargains.
    Originally posted by Ken68
    Join us on the OS board, there's a thriving "YS active" thread
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 12th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    For more tips & inspiration, see the Love Food, Hate Waste thread - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5610017&_ga=2.39192739.1428174236 .1515407147-2100251118.1509475124
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 12th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 27,319 Thanks
    thriftylass
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    Tip 13, Use common sense! Don't throw it out because the clock struck midnight on the best before date or even use by date (depends what it is, just trust your senses for most food).
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 12th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 3,334 Posts
    • 27,319 Thanks
    thriftylass
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:23 PM
    Originally posted by MSE Sarah
    This link seems to be invalid?
    • MysteryMe
    • By MysteryMe 12th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 2,216 Thanks
    MysteryMe
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:16 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:16 PM

Tomatoes (New Scientist):

Some foods just aren’t meant to go in the fridge – like tomatoes. As some consumers have long known, refrigerating them permanently impairs their flavour, but the reasons were elusive. New insights into why this happens may some day help us develop varieties that retain their flavour during cold storage.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2109336-heres-why-putting-tomatoes-in-the-fridge-makes-them-tasteless/
    Originally posted by Doc N

I had no idea, have always put toms in the fridge. I'll have to experiment with storing them elsewhere.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jan 18, 9:21 AM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,174 Thanks
    Pollycat
    This link seems to be invalid?
    Originally posted by thriftylass
    Yes, the "Love food, hate waste" thread has disappeared.

Some chat about it on this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774332

Unfortunately, our experience is that once it's gone, it can't be brought back.

MSE Sarah's blog needs amending.

And I'm not even going to mention the advice about keeping potatoes 'in their original bag'.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 15th Jan 18, 2:41 PM
    • 15,972 Posts
    • 135,556 Thanks
    JackieO
    Yes, the "Love food, hate waste" thread has disappeared.

Some chat about it on this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5774332

Unfortunately, our experience is that once it's gone, it can't be brought back.

MSE Sarah's blog needs amending.

And I'm not even going to mention the advice about keeping potatoes 'in their original bag'.
    Originally posted by Pollycat

I resuscitated it the other day with a new one as it was deleted by some idiot continually pressing the spam button But fear not like the phoenix we have risen again
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 20,187 Posts
    • 54,174 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I resuscitated it the other day with a new one as it was deleted by some idiot continually pressing the spam button But fear not like the phoenix we have risen again
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Yes, I know, Jackie, and thanks for that.

But Sarah M's blog still needs amending as it has a link to an invalid thread i.e. the old one.
    It needs the link to the new one.

TBF, if you're on your phone & scrolling up/down it's easy to catch the spam button by accident.
    I've done it myself - but always gone back and marked the post as 'not spam'.
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 16th Jan 18, 9:00 AM
    • 3,948 Posts
    • 14,616 Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    In 48 years of looking after myself since I left my parents, I can't recall ever throwing away food because it had gone off.
    How have I managed this? simple, I only buy what I need for a certain given period and I either eat it or freeze it for later.

No tricks, just plain common sense.
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Keep Moving in 2018 Challenge - Target 3333 miles
    This week - 80.6
    Total so far - 1833.8
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,439Users online

Martin's Twitter