Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wmjpower
    • By wmjpower 9th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 0Thanks
    wmjpower
    Can I return my online purchase of clothing?
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    Can I return my online purchase of clothing? 9th Jan 18 at 9:10 PM
    I have recently purchased a suit online from Ted Baker. I have worn the suit once to a function but my partner does not think it looks good on me! I believe that I can return the item within 14 days and get a full refund, but can I still do this even if I have removed the labels and worn the item????
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 9th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 15,783 Posts
    • 21,678 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    I have recently purchased a suit online from Ted Baker. I have worn the suit once to a function but my partner does not think it looks good on me! I believe that I can return the item within 14 days and get a full refund, but can I still do this even if I have removed the labels and worn the item????
    Originally posted by wmjpower
    No.

You have absolutely no right to a refund once you have worn it. Only if it were within fourteen days, unworn with tags in tact.

You could either sell it on eBay, or perhaps change your partner for one that does like your dress sense?
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 9th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 3,633 Posts
    • 9,939 Thanks
    LilElvis
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:30 PM
    Simple answer - no. You didn't just try it on, you wore it. It will be obvious it has been worn so don't even try a return.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 9th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 16,522 Posts
    • 41,704 Thanks
    elsien
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:35 PM
    From their returns policy:
    The goods must be returned unwashed, unworn with all labels and tags left attached.

Let's be honest, would you want to buy an item that some random stranger had worn and returned?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 9,178 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    And this ladies & gentlemen is the current state of morals these days & why clothes retailers now put labels in a visible place.

Of course it could all be a wind up.......
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 9th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:00 PM
    Actually since this is a distance purchase the OP does have the right to cancel within 14 days. Despite what many retailers will tell you wearing / using an item doesn't mean you can't cancel.

However since the items have been used the retailer is entitled to reduce the refund to account for the reduction in value, the reduction can be up to 100% of the purchase price (ref CCRs part 3 regulation 34).
    Last edited by dj1471; 09-01-2018 at 10:02 PM.
    • wmjpower
    • By wmjpower 9th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wmjpower
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    Thank you pinkshoes. I have been with my partner for years and she is worth more to me than a suit - so here I come ebay!
    • wmjpower
    • By wmjpower 9th Jan 18, 10:06 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wmjpower
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:06 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:06 PM
    Thank you LilElvis. I asked the question as friends have told me that I can but appreciate there are more knowledgeable people on this forum
    • wmjpower
    • By wmjpower 9th Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wmjpower
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    Thank you elsien. Just goes to show that you should always read the t&c's. I understand your comment about other people possibly wearing the item, but I beleive my hygiene is better than most and I have dry cleaned the garment.
    • wmjpower
    • By wmjpower 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wmjpower
    Thank you gettingtheresometime's. Please don't think that I am an immoral person. People I have spoken to have told me that I can, but I was unsure and that is why I have asked the experts on this forum. The item is still as good as new (only worn once for 3 hours) and I have dry cleaned the suit, but I still thought that I should check among this community as I did not think it would be possible.
    • wmjpower
    • By wmjpower 9th Jan 18, 10:31 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wmjpower
    Thank you dj1471. Does sound like there may be confusion here with my rights, but as elsien has pointed out on the site t&cs, the item must be returned unwashed, unworn and with all tags attached (none of which I can satisfy).
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 9th Jan 18, 10:40 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    dj1471
    Thank you dj1471. Does sound like there may be confusion here with my rights, but as elsien has pointed out on the site t&cs, the item must be returned unwashed, unworn and with all tags attached (none of which I can satisfy).
    The site's T&Cs cannot limit your statutory rights.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Jan 18, 11:08 PM
    • 5,888 Posts
    • 12,482 Thanks
    marliepanda
    The site's T&Cs cannot limit your statutory rights.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    None of which protect a consumer who was worn and washed an item, nor are they intended to.

Your statutory rights aim to give you roughly the same shopping experience as instore, so can you try it on, of course. Can you remove the tags, no.
    Can you leave the shop to wear it to a function? No.

Can you dry clean the item in the shop. No.

It’s all well and good posting ‘the law’ but you don’t give any indication as the the actual implications of the law.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 9th Jan 18, 11:31 PM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    dj1471
    . It’s all well and good posting ‘the law’ but you don’t give any indication as the the actual implications of the law.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    I believe I did. Excessive handling beyond what would be allowed in a shop allows the retailer to reduce the amount refunded, potentially to nothing. It does not allow them to refuse a cancellation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

2,902Users online

Martin's Twitter