Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joey31
    • By Joey31 9th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joey31
    Please help
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    Please help 9th Jan 18 at 8:54 PM
    Hello I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right forum. But I'm looking for some advice.

Basically my mum passed away 2 years ago and I had a letter from her pension scheme asking the whereabouts of my dad.

I explained they were separated for over 20 years and I haven't even spoken to him in that time, he walked out and we never heard from him again. I don't even know if he's alive. I explained all this to them, and the decision was made that they won't pay out what's left of her pension to me as I'm not the spouse. I just wondered if this is correct or if so, what happens to it? I'm an only child as well so was just wondering if anyone can help or give some advice please would be appreciated. I'll ask any questions if anyone can help. Thankyou
Page 1
    • quotememiserable
    • By quotememiserable 9th Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    • 416 Posts
    • 271 Thanks
    quotememiserable
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    Unless you're under 18 or in full time education, then you won't be entitled to any pension. It's up to them to make every reasonable effort to contact your father if he and your mother were still married.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 9th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 18,800 Posts
    • 12,967 Thanks
    molerat
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    The pension scheme can and will pay out at the trustees discretion and according to the scheme rules usually guided by an expression of wish, I assume there was not one done. Normally a legally married spouse is the one who gets any payout unless there is some pressing factor. As, I assume, you are an adult and were not financially dependant on your mother then there is no reason to pay to you without that expression of wish. I expect they will put a tracing company onto finding your father.
    Last edited by molerat; 09-01-2018 at 11:09 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Joey31
    • By Joey31 9th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joey31
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    Hey thankyou for your replies , I understand that I was just wondering what happens to it if they don't find him?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 58,936 Posts
    • 52,260 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:31 PM
    The pension will cease.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Kynthia
    • By Kynthia 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 5,149 Posts
    • 7,168 Thanks
    Kynthia
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:18 PM
    Some defined benefit schemes only pay out to a spouse (or maybe an unmarried partner but not always) and will never pay anything to an adult child. If there's no spouse or partner then that's it, as there is no inheritance pot of money. Some may be very surprised to find out there's no money for their unmarried partner or that the person who left themdecades ago and they're legally separated from (but not decree absolute) will inherit on their death.

Defined contribution schemes tend to have more flexibility where the trustees can make a decision based on information provided and any 'expression of wishes form'. Someone will usually inherit the pot though. However this all changes if the pot was used to buy an annuity already.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
    • atush
    • By atush 10th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    • 16,811 Posts
    • 10,490 Thanks
    atush
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    What kind of pension was it?

DB (ie final salry type such as public sector workers) or DC/money purchace pension?
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,861 Posts
    • 4,089 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    Further to atush's question, exactly which pension scheme are we talking about, and was your mum in receipt of her pension when she died? I'm guessing not, due to the 2 year time lapse.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 11-01-2018 at 7:30 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,501Posts Today

7,111Users online

Martin's Twitter