Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nez1880
    • By nez1880 9th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    nez1880
    Hoopers
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    Hoopers 9th Jan 18 at 8:30 PM
    My sister's and I have been contacted by hoopers, apparentley we are due money from our aunts estate, before we decide to use them instead of dealing with it ourselves is there at way of finding out how much the estate is worth, thanks in advance
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 3,462 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    My sister's and I have been contacted by hoopers, apparentley we are due money from our aunts estate, before we decide to use them instead of dealing with it ourselves is there at way of finding out how much the estate is worth, thanks in advance
    Originally posted by nez1880
    Almost impossible unless do do a lot of research like the firm have. You will find it very difficult indeed to DIY it.
    • nez1880
    • By nez1880 9th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nez1880
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:10 PM
    Are you saying it's easier just to let them do it for us, I'm quite happy to really as if they hadn't contacted ur we'd be no wiser it was just something somebody else said might be worth doing
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 9th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 2,847 Posts
    • 4,064 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    I'm guessing that your aunt died intestate (without leaving a will) and the the estate is of a high enough value to interest an heir hunters company.

She must have died without a spouse, children, parents or siblings for inheritance rights to fall to you (and any other blood nieces/nephews she may have had)>

If you know where your aunt lived, and if you know how to contact other family members, then there is no reason why you can't apply for probate yourselves and save the 30%+ fee that Hoopers would pocket.
    Last edited by Silvertabby; 09-01-2018 at 9:14 PM.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th Jan 18, 9:58 PM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 3,462 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:58 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:58 PM
    I'm guessing that your aunt died intestate (without leaving a will) and the the estate is of a high enough value to interest an heir hunters company.

She must have died without a spouse, children, parents or siblings for inheritance rights to fall to you (and any other blood nieces/nephews she may have had)>

If you know where your aunt lived, and if you know how to contact other family members, then there is no reason why you can't apply for probate yourselves and save the 30%+ fee that Hoopers would pocket.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Far far easier said than done. Starting from square one with no knowledge is very difficult. To suggest DIY shows that you know little of the reality of the job.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 3,462 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    Are you saying it's easier just to let them do it for us, I'm quite happy to really as if they hadn't contacted ur we'd be no wiser it was just something somebody else said might be worth doing
    Originally posted by nez1880
    I am saying that with out knowledge of how to do itr and a lot of resources you have littlee chance of DIY ing it. To do so you have o trace all the possib;e relatives and obtain birth, death and marriage certificates. Very difficult and costly. Thse who suggest DIY have never tried it! Don!!!8217;t forget you can always ask for the percentage to be reduced!
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 10-01-2018 at 6:50 AM.
    • nez1880
    • By nez1880 10th Jan 18, 6:12 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nez1880
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:12 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:12 AM
    Thanks everyone I think we'll leave it to hoopers
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,483Users online

Martin's Twitter