Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 9th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 310Posts
    • 156Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Revealed: 800,000 could have saved with a prescription 'season ticket'...
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    MSE News: Revealed: 800,000 could have saved with a prescription 'season ticket'... 9th Jan 18 at 8:26 PM
    Hundreds of thousands of patients in England are paying more than they need to for NHS prescriptions and could save an average of almost 50 a year by getting a 'prescription prepayment certificate', data obtained by MoneySavingExpert.com reveals...
    Read the full story:
    'Revealed: 800,000 could have saved with a prescription 'season ticket' last year'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 10-01-2018 at 3:23 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 9th Jan 18, 10:53 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:53 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:53 PM
    I've got mine.

I really should get better organised and start buying the 3-monthly ones. They cost slightly more per month than the 12-month ones, but with a bit of care you can save more money.

Just as your card is about to run out, order one of everything from your doctor. That should keep you going for while, and you can leave off ordering the new card for at least a month.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • GabrielOli76
    • By GabrielOli76 10th Jan 18, 1:03 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GabrielOli76
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:03 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:03 AM
    Interesting new.

It's always good to know how much money we can save when we are smart but remembering all these saving tips in real-time when we are buying it's not easy at all (e.g. setup a list before going to supermarket, compare prices online before shopping...)
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Jan 18, 3:38 AM
    • 1,715 Posts
    • 2,317 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:38 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:38 AM
    So you have a choice, you can decide you are going to be sick multiple times in the next year, so buy a prepayment cert. Or do you decide that I was sick a couple of times last year but this year I am not going to be sick at all or I am going to be sick an awful lot? Unless you have any knowledge that you are going to be needing a prescripton (many of which ongong ailments have entitlements to free prescriptions) then how do you know in advance that you need a cert?

Obviously, if you have an ailment not covered by free prescriptions then maybe you do need a cert. But I suspect that if you have an ailment which gets free prescriptions then you will have to apply for them monthly (13 per year). But if your illness is not one of those which entitles you to free presciptions then you will be prescribed them every 2 months which would only be 6/7 times per year which is not sensible for a prepayment cert.

I look forward to someone telling me I am wrong. But I am not holding my breath. Before I was entiltled to over 60 free prescriptions, I got them anyway due to (well who really cares besides me!) & can only get them monthly, my son's prescriptions (not available free) for which he needs to pay every 56 days (6.5 times per year) whoops not enough to get a cert.

So with this many failures - some pharmasists are letting their customers down major style or the figures are just plain wrong. Unless we are able to see into the future how do we know after being healthy that we are suddenly going to need so much extra medication?
    Last edited by badmemory; 10-01-2018 at 3:59 AM.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 10th Jan 18, 5:50 AM
    • 2,670 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:50 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:50 AM
    Why will you be prescribed them every two months? It is quite common that doctors will only prescribe a month at a time.

Also what has the fact that you have an ailment that attracts free prescriptions have to do with it. You won't need a certificate in that case.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 10th Jan 18, 11:55 AM
    • 7,387 Posts
    • 10,661 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:55 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:55 AM
    When I first got a PPC I was happy too even though I didn't know if I'd need enough items to make it pay for itself (I already had some repeats)

Budgeting wise it was better for me to pay 10.40 over 10 months than have to find the prescription fee an unknown number of times possibly at short notice. Which would have been much harder for me than managing a series of planned payments.

Sometimes money saving isn't about the black & white figures but being happy that paying for convenience is the best option overall.
    Last edited by KxMx; 10-01-2018 at 12:05 PM.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 10th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 3,152 Posts
    • 2,032 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:09 PM
    I always get at least a 2-month prescription from the doctor. One of them is 3 months, presumably because I started getting it before the NHS told doctors not to hand out long prescriptions any more.

There's a lot of people out there taking pills every day who don't have one of the obscure conditions from a list drawn up decades ago. For example, anyone taking statins every day for high cholesterol.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 2,670 Posts
    • 3,422 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    I've got the double whammy of statins and HBP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,565Posts Today

6,320Users online

Martin's Twitter