Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 9th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    • 273Posts
    • 151Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Credit and debit card charges banned from Saturday - what you need to know
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:19 PM
    MSE News: Credit and debit card charges banned from Saturday - what you need to know 9th Jan 18 at 8:19 PM
    From Saturday you should no longer be charged a fee for opting to pay via credit or debit card - but companies will still be able to add booking or admin fees as long as they also apply to other forms of payment...
    Read the full story:
    'Credit and debit card charges banned from Saturday - what you need to know'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 6
    • AllieKat
    • By AllieKat 6th Feb 18, 10:28 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    AllieKat
    As a consumer, I feel I've lost out.
    Originally posted by chattychappy
    Really? Because I feel like I've won. Even one shop I was sure would be non-compliant (Typo - it's a big Australian chain, where card surcharges are common and when I emailed them about it when they first opened basically told me to get lost, so I still won't be shopping there) took down their surcharges sign (they only surcharged Amex and Diner's Club, but still).

Oh, and when I booked my easyJet flight I'm taking in the morning? No surcharges there either, using my Amex.

For a site called Money *SAVING* Expert, there sure are a lot of people on here willing to defend rip-off fees.
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 6th Feb 18, 10:32 PM
    • 6,725 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    chattychappy
    Oh, and when I booked my easyJet flight I'm taking in the morning? No surcharges there either, using my Amex.

For a site called Money *SAVING* Expert, there sure are a lot of people on here willing to defend rip-off fees.
    Originally posted by AllieKat
    That's why it's called "Money Saving EXPERT". Experts can see the bigger picture.
    • sicily
    • By sicily 6th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sicily
    How does this relate instead to starting being charged as "cash advances" from sites I wasn't before.

I have been buying cryptocurrencies via Coinbase Ė using my credit cards. Recently some companies stopped allowing customers to pay by credit cards, that's fine, mine didnít. However starting from the 25th of January both my John Lewis Partnership card and my Barclays card started charging a fee shifting my purchases to cash advances. ( No charges for transactions before the 25th of Jan).
    There was no prior warning or information given by either card company - neither a change in terms and conditions.
    Are they allowed to do that without informing the customer? Some companies banned purchases as considered to risky- understandable.. but go to the step to consider it cash advance ? unresoanable
    Do I have ground to complain?
    • chattychappy
    • By chattychappy 7th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 6,725 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    chattychappy
    How does this relate instead to starting being charged as "cash advances" from sites I wasn't before.

I have been buying cryptocurrencies via Coinbase Ė using my credit cards. Recently some companies stopped allowing customers to pay by credit cards, that's fine, mine didnít. However starting from the 25th of January both my John Lewis Partnership card and my Barclays card started charging a fee shifting my purchases to cash advances. ( No charges for transactions before the 25th of Jan).
    There was no prior warning or information given by either card company - neither a change in terms and conditions.
    Are they allowed to do that without informing the customer? Some companies banned purchases as considered to risky- understandable.. but go to the step to consider it cash advance ? unresoanable
    Do I have ground to complain?
    Originally posted by sicily
    The legislation says that merchants can't charge extra for payment by CC. In this case, it's the CC treating it as a cash advance, so nothing to do with the rule change.

Generally the purchase of a currency is treated as a cash advance. This is in the T+Cs of the CC. It might be that in the past you weren't charged because of the way coinbase processed the transaction (which you've got no control over).

So I don't think you have any ongoing grounds to complain if they are treating your cryptocurrency purchases as cash advances. But previously treating it one way and now treating it differently without any prior warning seems unfair. So perhaps you can dispute the fees the first time it happens. But "now you know", you can't insist that they revert to the way they used to do it.
    • CunningPlan
    • By CunningPlan 7th Feb 18, 1:02 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CunningPlan
    Annual Membership
    Company says that if you set up a direct debit for annual membership it costs 10. But if you pay by card or cash for a one-off annual membership itís 12 because this involves extra admin. Is this allowed? I suspect it might be as they are saying itís a different Ďproductí and we only accept cash for it.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Feb 18, 1:22 PM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Company says that if you set up a direct debit for annual membership it costs 10. But if you pay by card or cash for a one-off annual membership itís 12 because this involves extra admin. Is this allowed? I suspect it might be as they are saying itís a different Ďproductí and we only accept cash for it.
    Originally posted by CunningPlan
    Yes, it's allowed to give a discount for setting up a direct debit, which is effectively an entirely different way of settling an account with a company rather than a specific payment method per bill, in the context of the new regulations. Many major energy and phone companies have done this for a long time, and it doesn't fall foul of the new rules about card payments....
    • CunningPlan
    • By CunningPlan 7th Feb 18, 6:01 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CunningPlan
    Yes, it's allowed to give a discount for setting up a direct debit, which is effectively an entirely different way of settling an account with a company rather than a specific payment method per bill, in the context of the new regulations. Many major energy and phone companies have done this for a long time, and it doesn't fall foul of the new rules about card payments....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    But this is what the guidance notes state:
    Regulation 4 does not refer to any particular method of payment, such as credit or debit cards. Therefore, the provision applies to any means of payment that a trader decides to accept in any particular case. This would include cash, cheques, credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards, charge cards, mobile payments, credit transfers and direct debits.
    • Trevelyan
    • By Trevelyan 8th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Trevelyan
    Here's a question; I just booked a flight with Norwegian and they charged me £2.50 for use of my card.

The card is a Visa debit, which should incur no surcharge according to their dropdown list; but they didn't accept it and I had, instead, to select Corporate card. I'm baffled - since it is considered to be a Visa debit elsewhere.

However, as Norway is not in the EU, are they exempt from this card-charging crap?
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 8th Feb 18, 5:55 PM
    • 24,655 Posts
    • 11,887 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    Here's a question; I just booked a flight with Norwegian and they charged me £2.50 for use of my card.

The card is a Visa debit, which should incur no surcharge according to their dropdown list; but they didn't accept it and I had, instead, to select Corporate card. I'm baffled - since it is considered to be a Visa debit elsewhere.

However, as Norway is not in the EU, are they exempt from this card-charging crap?
    Originally posted by Trevelyan
    Yes probably - but were you charged in sterling in UK or in currency abroad?
    If they have a UK subsidiary then unless they charge everybody £2.50 you can ask them to refund.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 8th Feb 18, 6:47 PM
    • 4,042 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    Retailers can still surcharge corporate/business cards - they are excluded from the recent regulations. So the fact you chose a 'Corporate card' from their drop down list could have triggered the charge..

EDIT: Having said the above, Norwegian have been incorrectly charging some 'normal cards' after the changes came in
    Last edited by gt94sss2; 08-02-2018 at 11:59 PM.
    • Trevelyan
    • By Trevelyan 8th Feb 18, 6:51 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Trevelyan
    It appears they charge everyone who uses a corporate card 3% - and yes, its in GBP

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/booking/booking-information/payment-options/

However, I don't see what the difference should be; the issuer is Visa and it should surely be treated the same.

I'm happy to call and argue the point, so long as you are fairly sure that consumers includes individuals who are using a card linked to a business account rather than a personal account.

gt94sss2 - have you got a link to a statement that business cards are excluded?
    Last edited by Trevelyan; 08-02-2018 at 6:53 PM.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 8th Feb 18, 7:44 PM
    • 6,846 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    eskbanker
    have you got a link to a statement that business cards are excluded?
    See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73690998#post73690998 for various links that explain this in more detail, including the legislation itself if you're really motivated enough to wade through that!
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 8th Feb 18, 11:58 PM
    • 4,042 Posts
    • 1,872 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    gt94sss2 - have you got a link to a statement that business cards are excluded?
    Paragraph 5.2 here
    • Netty43
    • By Netty43 9th Feb 18, 5:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Netty43
    Can anyone help - I went to pay the balance on a holiday booked before January 2018, they told me that because I booked it last year they would still charge 2.5% for payment by credit card. Are they allowed to do this?
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 9th Feb 18, 6:04 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    dj1471
    Can anyone help - I went to pay the balance on a holiday booked before January 2018, they told me that because I booked it last year they would still charge 2.5% for payment by credit card. Are they allowed to do this?
    Originally posted by Netty43
    Yes they are, the new legislation is not retrospective.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Feb 18, 11:47 PM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 5,181 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Originally posted by Netty43
    Depends when you booked it.

See posts 37 and 38 of this thread.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Feb 18, 11:48 PM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 5,181 Thanks
    Nick_C
    Yes they are, the new legislation is not retrospective.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    Not necessarily true. Depends when the holiday was booked.
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 10th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 1,147 Posts
    • 791 Thanks
    dj1471
    Not necessarily true. Depends when the holiday was booked.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    They already said they booked it before January... so before the legislation came in.
    • etienneg
    • By etienneg 10th Feb 18, 6:57 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    etienneg
    If the government has banned all Credit Card Surcharges from 13th January 21018, why are the DVLA still charging £2:50 to pay for my Tax renewal???
    Originally posted by hamstring

I've just done mine and there is no surcharge.

Read the direction carefully:
    "There is no fee for paying with any debit card, pre-paid card or a personal credit card. An additional fee of £2.50 is applicable to all other types of cards."

So, unless you are trying to pay with a business credit card or similar (when they are allowed to charge), there is no fee.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 10th Feb 18, 11:26 PM
    • 3,771 Posts
    • 5,181 Thanks
    Nick_C
    They already said they booked it before January... so before the legislation came in.
    Originally posted by dj1471
    THAT IS IRRELEVANT!!!

Depends when you booked it.

See posts 37 and 38 of this thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,368Posts Today

8,256Users online

Martin's Twitter