Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • j3nnavieve
    • By j3nnavieve 9th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 3Thanks
    j3nnavieve
    Solicitors advice
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:52 PM
    Solicitors advice 9th Jan 18 at 7:52 PM
    Hi all

I reserved a new build last week and as I am on my own buying a house and a FTB this is all new to me. The sales person already had a recommended solicitor for me when I signed the reservation papers but I do have to go with this solicitors?

Just for using their service they have sent me a bill of 350 and their conveyancing chargers are higher than some solicitors that I have researched.

Am I allowed to have a different solicitor or do I have to have the one that has been given to me by the sales person?
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 9th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 8,197 Posts
    • 9,088 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    You can use any solicitor you like and you would be well advised to use one of your choosing, not theirs.

As you presumably haven't actually used their service you can return their bill to them.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • VintageHistorian
    • By VintageHistorian 9th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 2,227 Thanks
    VintageHistorian
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:54 PM
    The bill will probably be pre-paying the necessary fees for searches and the like.

You don't have to go with their solicitor. Find one that you want to go with, preferably one near you so you can pop by to drop off papers easily and can have face-to-face conversations with people, and then politely inform the other solicitors that you decided to go with someone else.
    "You won't bloom until you're planted" - Graffiti spotted in Newcastle.

Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind - Doctor Who

Overpayments in 2018 - 219.36 | Lose 1 stone - 0/14lbs |
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 9th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 25,307 Posts
    • 93,057 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    Always choose your own solicitor. One recommended by the builder won't necessarily rock the boat if something crops up which isn't in your best interests.
    If you are finding huge gaps between your paragraphs and use Firefox, MSE know about the problem. However, they aren't necessarily doing anything about it yet....
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5844460
    • G_M
    • By G_M 9th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 44,433 Posts
    • 52,741 Thanks
    G_M
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:07 PM
    Not ony are you allowed to use your own solicitor, you are strongly advised to find and use your own.

Thank the seller/builder politely and tell him your solicitor will be Mr Jones, 1 The High Street, YourTown.

(after meeting Mr Jones of course)
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 9th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 58,937 Posts
    • 52,259 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:27 PM
    Just for using their service they have sent me a bill of 350 and their conveyancing chargers are higher than some solicitors that I have researched.
    Originally posted by j3nnavieve
    Make sure you compare like for like.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 9th Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 5,241 Posts
    • 24,218 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:23 PM
    Don't forget to ensure that your solicitor is on the panel of the mortgage lender you plan to use.
    • j3nnavieve
    • By j3nnavieve 13th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    j3nnavieve
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:34 PM
    Can you explain this please?
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 13th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 58,937 Posts
    • 52,259 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    Conveyancers (normally solicitors) represent lenders as well as yourself for the purchase transaction. To act on a lenders behalf conveyancers ideally need to be preapproved, i.e. on the lenders panel.

If they are not. The lender can still request the use of their solicitor.For which you'll incur additional fees.

Conveyancers can apply. However this will delay proceedings.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • hjd
    • By hjd 14th Jan 18, 7:38 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,065 Thanks
    hjd
    My son was interested in buying a new build flat. He did use the solicitor recommended by the developer.
    A few weeks down the line, she advised him not to proceed with the purchase as there were questions over the method of construction (converted office block) and thus mortgages were very hard to obtain.
    The developers sacked her as their recommended solicitor and appointed another one.
    Nearly 2 years on and there are still things waiting to be finished off on that block. Looks like about 4 of the 16 flats are currently occupied.
    My son bought a flat in a large purpose built block which had been up for 8 years. Slightly more money but a lot bigger and better layout. He's very happy. He used the same solicitor and she was very good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

249Posts Today

3,408Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin