Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Gemsy81
    • By Gemsy81 9th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    • 105Posts
    • 292Thanks
    Gemsy81
    Such a positive day :)
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:47 PM
    Such a positive day :) 9th Jan 18 at 7:47 PM
    Have written everything down today and gone through our bank account with a fine toothed comb.....my god, we are wasting so much money! On the plus side, I have easily managed to shave a lot off very quickly and easily. Here’s what I started with:

1. Cancelled two(!) Experian memberships
    2. Cancelled gym membership (i need to walk the dog more anyway!)
    3. Addressed Sky phone bill, got put on the correct tariff, saving £70 per month
    4. Got a £250 refund from Wordpress for a defunct website that had accidentally been left active and auto renewed.
    5. Found all my premium bonds, and found out how to update everything as the details are 36 years old.....keeping my fingers crossed for a windfall!

My shoulders feel a thousand times lighter for making a plan and knowing where I am going
Page 1
    • January2015
    • By January2015 9th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 5,188 Thanks
    January2015
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    Have written everything down today and gone through our bank account with a fine toothed comb.....my god, we are wasting so much money! On the plus side, I have easily managed to shave a lot off very quickly and easily. Here’s what I started with:

1. Cancelled two(!) Experian memberships
    2. Cancelled gym membership (i need to walk the dog more anyway!)
    3. Addressed Sky phone bill, got put on the correct tariff, saving £70 per month
    4. Got a £250 refund from Wordpress for a defunct website that had accidentally been left active and auto renewed.
    5. Found all my premium bonds, and found out how to update everything as the details are 36 years old.....keeping my fingers crossed for a windfall!

My shoulders feel a thousand times lighter for making a plan and knowing where I am going
    Originally posted by Gemsy81
    Well done

It's the little things that make a big difference. Keep up the great work. Good luck with the premium bonds (mind you, I have had a small number of PMs for 38 years and nada, zilch, nothing ). Hope you have more success than I have had to date
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2]
    • tealady
    • By tealady 10th Jan 18, 5:55 AM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 3,365 Thanks
    tealady
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:55 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:55 AM
    Well done for sorting out those pesky dd's, were you watching Martins show by any chance?
    Don't know much about premium bonds but could you log onto their site to see if they havevlists of unclaimed bonds?
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 10th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 1,061 Posts
    • 1,302 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    https://www.nsandi.com/prize-checker

Premium bond checker.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • Gemsy81
    • By Gemsy81 10th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 105 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    Gemsy81
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    Yes - I've got in touch with them. I need to give them my new details in writing, signed by an independent witness - then they can tell me if I have any winnings (not holding out hope but what a nice surprise that would be!), and also if I have any more in my name....my grandparents did go a bit mad on Premium Bonds in the early eighties - my nan has about £25k worth!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

7,728Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin