Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Mark321123
    • By Mark321123 9th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Hmrc debt
    • #1
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    Hmrc debt 9th Jan 18 at 7:16 PM
    I owe approximately £22.000 with Hmrc, had the debt now for 11 years and havenít paid a penny , this morning I received a statement from hmrc and said my balance is zero, and the word saying , not currently being pursued

    Whatís going to happen next

Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • #2
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • #2
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    Hi Mark,

    Firstly, there is a piece of legislation called the limitations act that does state, if there has been a 6 year block of time since the debt fell due, with no written acknowledgement or payment to the debt and no county court action started, then the debt may no longer be enforceable through the county court and becomes known as Statute Barred.

    However, this does not apply to tax or 'any other duties due to the crown'. So it will depend exactly what this HMRC debt consists of. National Insurance Contributions and any penalties or charges can be covered by the limitations act, so it is possible some of this debt is too old to be enforced, but perhaps not all of it.

    In this situation I would suggest that you keep that letter safe, and if the HMRC do try and pursue you at a later date you could try and argue that nothing is owed, according to that letter. However, in reality, you can only deal with that if/when it happens.

    If you are still registered as self employed then it is important to de-registered or you will still be expected to file a tax return each year.

    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

625Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter