Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • littlerock
    • By littlerock 9th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,335Posts
    • 194Thanks
    littlerock
    how can I find out details of fatal road traffic involving friend?
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    how can I find out details of fatal road traffic involving friend? 9th Jan 18 at 6:34 PM
    Someone I know quite well was recently involved in a local road traffic accident, as a pedestrian and received injuries from which she has since died when a car mounted the pavement..That is all I know. I don't know how the car came to do this or why. Maybe speeding, maybe a chase. The site is near me and the damage horrendous.

I don't want to start quizzing her family at such a difficult time but do feel I would like to know how such a tragic accident happened. The thing is the police released no information on the day, despite closing the road for several hours and only minimal information the next day although they did say no one had been charged and her family were aware.The accident is not listed on their online record of major road accidents locally although more recent ones are.

Several local people are wondering online whether there is some sort of incident blackout on the incident. why might this be? and are road traffic accidents on the public highway in the public domain? could i ask the police for information in what happened. it was in the early evening and such a busy road there must have been witnesses.
Page 2
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    As soon as there is a criminal investigation then the police will not share anything that they believe may hinder their investigation. They may appeal for witnesses, but they will not release a description of the event and aside from vague details of arrest. They certainly will not suggest blame.

The press are very much party to this, they should not share anything but the most basic of information when they know there is a criminal investigation. I'm not sure what legal restrictions there are, but there is presumably is obstruction of justice.

As a concerned citizen - well, you have no rights to know what went on. You will have to be very patient, it could be a year or more before anything happens. Someone I knew was killed on a bicycle and the trial was 18 months, that is not unusual, and before that time there simply was not any public information.

Your role is tea and sympathy, not to be a PI.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer

Given the description they donít need to.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 10th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Given the description they donít need to.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    There was a case in Solihull a couple of years ago where a taxi driver killed a young cyclist. The cyclist was carried on the bonnet and the taxi driver accelerated in panic, unsighted and hit a tree.

The conviction was for careless driving for the driving from the point of collision through to hitting the tree. There was no charge for the element of the accident for colliding with the cyclist. There was no evidence that the driver had done anything inappropriate to hit the cyclist.

...yet you probably would have said the same based on the original description of that accident.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Jan 18, 5:26 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    There was a case in Solihull a couple of years ago where a taxi driver killed a young cyclist. The cyclist was carried on the bonnet and the taxi driver accelerated in panic, unsighted and hit a tree.

The conviction was for careless driving for the driving from the point of collision through to hitting the tree. There was no charge for the element of the accident for colliding with the cyclist. There was no evidence that the driver had done anything inappropriate to hit the cyclist.

...yet you probably would have said the same based on the original description of that accident.
    No, given there was a cyclist involved. Some forces class cyclist as a vehicle for recording purposes. I know West Midlands donít.

However in the case of the OPís description of a single vehicle demolishing a bus stop, Iíll let you argue why blame isnít obvious.
    • eamon
    • By eamon 10th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    eamon
    In my neck of the woods there have been many instances of RTA's and other incidents followed by a media black out. Many months later the story may make it to the media if the editors are interested. Not what the OP wanted to hear.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 10th Jan 18, 10:21 PM
    • 12,439 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    unholyangel
    No, given there was a cyclist involved. Some forces class cyclist as a vehicle for recording purposes. I know West Midlands donít.

However in the case of the OPís description of a single vehicle demolishing a bus stop, Iíll let you argue why blame isnít obvious.
    Theres no presumption who is to blame regardless of whether the other party is classed as a pedestrian or bicycle. At least not on this side of the border.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Theres no presumption who is to blame regardless of whether the other party is classed as a pedestrian or bicycle. At least not on this side of the border.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Do pedestrians crash many cars where you are?
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 10th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer

The point is that just because there is a car mounting the pavement, we cannot know the circumstances that led to that event, which may or may not be deemed to be a criminal act.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 10th Jan 18, 11:27 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    The point is that just because there is a car mounting the pavement, we cannot know the circumstances that led to that event, which may or may not be deemed to be a criminal act.
    I agree, but in the case of a single vehicle accident the vehicle will be classed as vehicle 1. Meaning the vehicle deemed to be most at fault given the circumstances known at the time.

Given itís demolished a bus stop and killed a pedestrian I canít see how itís the pedestrians fault.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 10th Jan 18, 11:53 PM
    • 12,439 Posts
    • 9,743 Thanks
    unholyangel
    Do pedestrians crash many cars where you are?
    Well if I wanted to a pedant then I'd say all car drivers are usually also pedestrians so yes.

But as for a serious answer, you're talking about blame - in other words who's fault it is that the accident occurred. They'll apportion blame based on the facts of each individual case - its not simply a case of saying "well one was a car driver, the other was a pedestrian therefore its the car drivers fault".
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 11th Jan 18, 7:27 AM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    Well if I wanted to a pedant then I'd say all car drivers are usually also pedestrians so yes.

But as for a serious answer, you're talking about blame - in other words who's fault it is that the accident occurred. They'll apportion blame based on the facts of each individual case - its not simply a case of saying "well one was a car driver, the other was a pedestrian therefore its the car drivers fault".
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Well itís unlikely to be the pedestrians fault.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Jan 18, 8:11 AM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Well itís unlikely to be the pedestrians fault.
    You are being very binary about this. I was quite clear. We do not know the circumstances that led the car to mount the pavement. There are a number of reasons why a car may have mounted the pavement, all nothing to do with the pedestrian. A medical episode, a mechanical fault, avoiding some other incident, e.g. child running into the road, driving like a lunatic, wrong pedal, tagged by another car, trying to run someone over, and so on.

It is clear that the police will be interviewing the driver. They will not be in a position to apportion blame without an understanding of what led to the incident which could include a 3rd party not yet identified.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,247Posts Today

6,613Users online

Martin's Twitter