Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 9th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 365Posts
    • 98Thanks
    tightasagnats
    Tax returns needed when no longer self employed?
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    Tax returns needed when no longer self employed? 9th Jan 18 at 5:36 PM
    I ceased being self employed in Oct 2016, just completed my self assessment for that period.

I notified HMRC at the time. Will I continue to complete online tax returns or will I be spared this now? I seem to recall someone mentioning that you may be asked to still do so.

FYI all of my income is now via PAYE.

Thank you.
Page 1
    • TheCyclingProgrammer
    • By TheCyclingProgrammer 9th Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    • 3,176 Posts
    • 1,853 Thanks
    TheCyclingProgrammer
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:51 PM
    They may continue to send you a notice to file a tax return. If you get one post April, give them a call and explain that you're no longer self employed and you'd like them to withdraw the notice to file a return. Don't ignore it if you get one, unless HMRC agree to withdraw it you're obliged to file a return unfortunately.
    • tightasagnats
    • By tightasagnats 9th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    tightasagnats
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:47 PM
    Many thanks, I shall look out for a notice, good thinking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,042Posts Today

5,818Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin