Money Moral Dilemma: Should I return a lost £65 jumper and keep the cash?

Comments

• If any person in the company I'm employed by found lost property and then decided to take said article from the building would quite rightly be instantly dismissed . It's not yours to keep or sell! Would you like to be forever known as a thief ?
  • sclare
    sclare Posts: 64 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You say the pub 'where you work'. So it's not your own pub. What is the pub's policy on lost and found? Have you asked your manager what you should do? Did the rest of the staff know about the jumper? If not, how do you know that no-one has come in and asked about it?

I left something in a pub, and went back the next day. I knew I'd left it, I knew exactly where I'd left it, and there would have been no doubt that a staff member would have found it (I left at closing time). But there was clearly no communication between staff, and so no-one knew anything and I never got it back. It was of no real value to anyone else so unlikely to have been kept deliberately. Just no-one could be bothered.
    I'm guessing that's what happened here, too.

Also I'm surprised that anyone paid cash for a £65 purchase.
  • I don't see this as a moral dilemma at all, unless your moral standard is so low I wonder why you're even asking !
    There are 3 VERY OBVIOUS options, any of which should have been done immediately:
    1. You tell your boss/owner of the pub, hand it over and they will have a lost-property policy.
    2. You take it back to John Lewis, if the store is convenient.
    3. If the store is distant, you phone John Lewis and explain.

What sort of person are you to be considering anything else ? All the identifying information is on the receipt, John Lewis would probably phone the customer and tell them it's been found.
  • crmism
    crmism Posts: 300 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    You might as well go about wearing a striped pullover, a black mask and a bag marked Swag over your shoulder if you have that kind of attitude to another's lost property.

Had it not occurred to you to report the find to the local police station where most people who've lost something of value go in case some honest citizen has handed it in? If it isn't claimed, you can then claim it as your own and do what you want with it - but, for heaven's sake, do give the owner a chance to retrieve it.

Put yourself in the unfortunate owner's position - you wouldn't want a total stranger to profit by your momentary forgetfulness, would you? You'd really like him or her to do the decent thing.:mad:
  • It is theft! Also, it is immoral, you shouldn’t even be thinking about it!
  • Is it just me that is struggling with the solutions suggested here? It is a jumper. Yes, an expensive one you could argue but still an item of knitwear. I do not think taking it to the police station would be an efficient use of their time or at all in line with the value or nature of the item itself. Plus what about the poster's time? Just because they happened upon this item within their place of work does not mean they should then turn into a detective and spend a considerable amount of their own time travelling around, trying to locate the exact store, time of purchase, CCTV, to try and reunite this person with their lost item. If I lost something, I would retrace my steps and ask at the venues I visited. This person hasn't done this obviously or they would have come across it. But it's not the finders responsibility to take such extreme measures to reunite a jumper with its long lost owner. I would suggest a little perspective is needed here.

I would leave it in lost property at the pub where it was found, in case the owner does come back in looking for it at some point. Don't return it to the store and profit from it. If the item hasn't been collected or claimed after 3 / 6 months (whatever the lost & found policy is) then perhaps give it to a charity shop along with the other lost property.
  • Why should you benefit from someones misfortune? Perhaps the person who lost it is an MSE member and would be able to collect it thereby solving your dilemma. Otherwise, with permission from your employer, I would return it to JL and pass on the cash to a charity.
  • its highly unlikely if you took it back anyone would know. I've worked in retail. When someone's lost their bag, they'll phone the shop asking if it's been handed in, we'll say no and take a number just incase. After a few days all staff have forgotten about it as items are rarely ever handed in then that will be the end of it. You returning the same item they bought won't trigger them to put the 2 together even if they were told all the receipt details. All I ever checked for cash refunds was that it was within the return period.
    If someone did what you plan to do, I'd never have known it wasn't their purchase in the first place.
  • The jumper is not yours, it should be returned to it's owner and you should, in your capacity as bar worker, facilitate that. What other items have been left in your pub and kept ?
  • bylromarha wrote: »
    Leave the tags on it and wear it whilst serving.

When a customer says "I lost one just like it", then you've found the owner.

��

Wear it whilst serving and it's one quick way to have the jumper completely ruined. If I were the customer concerned I'd have a good inkling of several possible places I had mislaid my jumper - and, if I spotted someone behind the bar of a pub wearing it they'd have to bin it. Reason being - I'd buy a glass of red wine and a cup of coffee and "accidentally" spill both of them over the person concerned. I'd still not have my jumper back - but they wouldnt have it either after I'd ruined it:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure