Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • zja02
    • By zja02 9th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Meter Reading Unbelievably High!
    • #1
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    Meter Reading Unbelievably High! 9th Jan 18 at 4:57 PM

    I moved in to my apartment on April 26, 2017. When conducting the check-in process, I was not provided with a meter reading for the heating and cooling system

    In early July, I was billed 565GBP for the three month period. When I called SW Energy regarding this, they admitted that the figure was exceptionally high. They also noted the following:

    "The meter reading system was unavailable from 01/04/2017 to 02/07/2017, therefore, we do not hold any meter readings between this period. For this reason you start reading was not recorded and therefore your start read on 26.04.2017 is an estimated read." and

    "Unfortunately we cannot simply bill you on estimated readings for this period as the meter is showing that energy has travelled through it and therefore been used"

    I would like to know who is held accountable for this - is it myself, the building's management or the real estate agent? My tenancy agreement stipulates the following:

    2.9 Utilities Obligations:
    a. Within one month of the commencement of your tenancy, you must confirm that your details are registered with the suppliers of Gas, Electricity, Water and with the local Council Tax Dept for these services and it must remain registered in your name for the whole duration of your tenancy and you must make arrangements for the payment of the relevant bills/charges. Any telephone, broadband, satellite or cable services that you arrange to be installed or connected to the Property must only be registered in your own name.
    a(i). To pay all associated charges where there is a separate heating and cooling unit within the Property the usage of which is separately metered by the managers of the building and consumption is not included in any of the utilities mentioned in paragraph 2.9(a) above. All charges for the amount of heating and air conditioning used will be supplied to you by Urban Spaces as and when they are received by the managers of the building.

    Thank you
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • 5,909 Posts
    • 3,643 Thanks
    • #2
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    • #2
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:04 PM
    Hi - welcome to the forum. I suggest that the answer that you are seeking is in the first line of 2.9a; YOU unless para 2(a)i applies.

    Whenever you moved into an existing property, you are on a Deemed Contract with the existing supplier. Irrespective of what it says in any tenancy agreement, I would always check in with the existing supplier and give them actual meter readings.
    Last edited by Hengus; 09-01-2018 at 5:34 PM. Reason: Typo
    • matelodave
    • By matelodave 9th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 3,583 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    • #3
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • #3
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    It is your responsibilty to register with the existing utility suppliers on the day that you take over the tenancy (which may be earlier than the day you actually move in) and to furnish them with meter readings.

    If you dont do that then you can and probably will end up paying for the previous tenant's energy or water if they didn't bother to send in their final readings which is what seems to have happened. Had you given the readings then you wouldn't be in this situation.

    Likewise you must give meter readings to the suppliers when you give up the tenancy otherwise you could end up paying for the next one.

    The advice is always to read the meters YOURSELF (do not rely on others to do it) and to send in the readings to your suppliers every month and to check your bills or statements to ensure that the bills.statements actually reflect those readings and to get them corrected if they don't.

    It's also a good idea to save copies of bills/statements, either as PDF files or on paper.

    You could ask your landlord, letting agency or whatever if they've got records of the meter readings but don't rely on them having read the meters when the old tenant moved out or whn you moved in
    Love makes the world go round - beer make it go round even faster
    Look after our planet - it's the only one with beer
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

55Posts Today

2,535Users online

Martin's Twitter