Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outsider_83
    • By Outsider_83 9th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Outsider_83
    Best Platform for Cryptocurrencies?
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    Best Platform for Cryptocurrencies? 9th Jan 18 at 4:44 PM
    Hi All,
    It's very difficult to find the best currency exchange for crpytocurrencies, what do people on here recommend as a good application that is safe and easy/quick to sign up to and use?

I have tried BitStamp but having my status pending for a month is too long.
Page 2
    • ivormonee
    • By ivormonee 10th Jan 18, 4:06 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    ivormonee
    Coinbase reddit
    Originally posted by Bonnie151
    What's a coinbase reddit? (I'm really behind on all this modern jargon!)
    • Bonnie151
    • By Bonnie151 10th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 16,014 Thanks
    Bonnie151
    I am behind too! It possibly should be reddit/Coinbase?

Reddit is a discussion forum so Google reddit and once in reddit search for Coinbase and the forum will come up. You don!!!8217;t need to subscribe to view the threads.

It!!!8217;s a bit of a weird set up and takes some getting used to, I find.
    Hmmmm, need new siggie
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 10th Jan 18, 4:31 PM
    • 11,763 Posts
    • 23,487 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    What's a coinbase reddit? (I'm really behind on all this modern jargon!)
    Originally posted by ivormonee
    IMHO, it's yet another sheeple retail investor site that I'd avoid like the plague. Do your own research, and, OK, this site may be worth looking at to get an idea where the stupid money is going, to maybe go in the opposite direction, but, personally I won't be taking any advice from there myself!
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 10-01-2018 at 4:47 PM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • Bonnie151
    • By Bonnie151 10th Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 16,014 Thanks
    Bonnie151
    IMHO, it's yet another sheeple retail investor site that I'd avoid like the plague. Do your own research, and, OK, this site may be worth looking at to get an idea where the stupid money is going, to maybe go in the opposite direction, but, personally I won't be taking any advice from there myself!
    Originally posted by worldtraveller
    Thatís not what I was saying at all. Iím not recommending reddit as a place to decide which cryptos to buy. Iím saying to look at the Coinbase reddit because quite a lot of Coinbase users are having very bad problems withdrawing their funds and I thought it might be useful for the OP to see the level/types of complaints in case they were thinking of using Coinbase. (Iíve used Coinbase without any problems but am aware that some others have had problems)
    Hmmmm, need new siggie
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 10th Jan 18, 5:29 PM
    • 11,763 Posts
    • 23,487 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    That!!!8217;s not what I was saying at all. I!!!8217;m not recommending reddit as a place to decide which cryptos to buy. I!!!8217;m saying to look at the Coinbase reddit because quite a lot of Coinbase users are having very bad problems withdrawing their funds and I thought it might be useful for the OP to see the level/types of complaints in case they were thinking of using Coinbase. (I!!!8217;ve used Coinbase without any problems but am aware that some others have had problems)
    That's not what I was saying, you were saying at all, either.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    • Bonnie151
    • By Bonnie151 10th Jan 18, 6:13 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 16,014 Thanks
    Bonnie151
    That's not what I was saying, you were saying at all, either.

Actually, if anyone wants to get away from the madness of crypto, I would recommend the Dogecoin reddit. Absolutely not trying to flog Doge! However, reading the doge community threads cheers me up. Such Happy shibes! Much wow!
    Hmmmm, need new siggie
    • ivormonee
    • By ivormonee 10th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    ivormonee

Actually, if anyone wants to get away from the madness of crypto, I would recommend the Dogecoin reddit. Absolutely not trying to flog Doge! However, reading the doge community threads cheers me up. Such Happy shibes! Much wow!
    Wow. Much post. Very love.
    • ivormonee
    • By ivormonee 10th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    ivormonee
    You can actually get some free dogecoins I discovered earlier but not sure if I'm allowed to post a referral link so you'll have to search online yourselves if interested.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 11th Jan 18, 10:40 AM
    • 11,763 Posts
    • 23,487 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    The one I always remember from my economics courses was the South Sea Bubble (1720).

As I posted recently on one of the investment forums, we've seen the phase where it's been pumped up by the big investors and their media mates, and we've seen the foolish, gullible, retail investors, who have subsequently got into the "get rich quick", latest, "fools gold" at, or near, the peak.

The problem is when the last person holding the baby loses their shirt, along with the other fools who got in at, or near the peak! It's very much like "pass the parcel" and who is left with the last wrapping, but, in this case, it's who is first to lose their !!!!.

Would I get involved? Yes, maybe, but, as a contrarian investor, for decades now, it would probably be when the price totally tanks, and most previous investors are left squirming over their losses!
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 11th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 11,763 Posts
    • 23,487 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    A chart of Bitcoin price in USD over the past 1 year.

Hmmm....Interesting.

http://markets.businessinsider.com/currencies/BTC-USD
    Last edited by worldtraveller; 11-01-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 11th Jan 18, 11:57 AM
    • 4,276 Posts
    • 9,641 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Maybe I'm getting old but the cryptocurrency boom reminds me of The Tulip Bubble, it burst and lots of people lost everything. Be careful.
    Originally posted by peter_the_piper
    I don't think anyone has ever mentioned tulips on a cryptocurrency thread before
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • bowlhead99
    • By bowlhead99 11th Jan 18, 3:07 PM
    • 7,975 Posts
    • 14,510 Thanks
    bowlhead99

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Originally posted by branflakes89
    I wouldn't have space for them here. Of course, there's plenty of space to warn other forum readers not to be stupid and accept unsolicited approaches from unregulated 'traders' who "feel they could return good profits" on their clients' money.

But if someone signs up with you despite that warning not to be greedy and to avoid engaging with potential scammers, maybe they deserve to lose all their life savings; we could call it an idiot tax.
    • branflakes89
    • By branflakes89 11th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    branflakes89
    But if someone signs up with you despite that warning not to be greedy and to avoid engaging with potential scammers, maybe they deserve to lose all their life savings; we could call it an idiot tax.
    Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Haha, I wouldn't accept all life savings anyway, but I appreciate your skepticism. I would advise risking at most 25% on cryptocurrency. I personally risk 10%.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 11th Jan 18, 3:49 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    TBC15
    I wouldn't have space for them here. Of course, there's plenty of space to warn other forum readers not to be stupid and accept unsolicited approaches from unregulated 'traders' who "feel they could return good profits" on their clients' money.

Originally posted by bowlhead99
    Financial Darwinism in action, hope the fall out doesnít have any effect on the real world.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 11th Jan 18, 3:58 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    TBC15
    Look I!!!8217;m all for care in the community. But who ever gave them access to a computer and a line of credit should be prosecuted.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 11th Jan 18, 4:57 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    Malthusian
    For those who may have missed the connection between Worldtraveller's "stages of a bubble" graph and the link to the Bitcoin graph, here's a picture of the former superimposed on the latter:

Even though the "first-sell off" curve is slightly in the wrong place, it's still uncanny.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 11th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    Malthusian
    It should be pointed out that Bitcoin has already followed the Jean-Paul Rodrigue graph once before, in 2013. And it duly crashed in 2014, although not as quickly as the Rodrigue graph illustrates.

There is no rule that the same commodity can't go through the hype cycle twice.
    • TBC15
    • By TBC15 11th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 250 Thanks
    TBC15
    It should be pointed out that Bitcoin has already followed the Jean-Paul Rodrigue graph once before, in 2013. And it duly crashed in 2014, although not as quickly as the Rodrigue graph illustrates.

There is no rule that the same commodity can't go through the hype cycle twice.
    Originally posted by Malthusian
    I donít think itís a rule, probably an axiom Ď Thereís one born every minuteí
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 11th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 4,242 Posts
    • 6,681 Thanks
    Malthusian
    I was thinking more of the fact that the Bitbots have a ready-made excuse which is "ok, so it's going to crash, big deal, it already went from $1,200 to $200 in 2013 and now it's at $15,000, so I'll just cash out when the cycle starts again and it goes up to $150,000".

Among many problems with this idea is: just as there's no rule that the same commodity can't go through the Rodrigue cycle twice, there's no rule that having gone through twice it will go through it thrice.
    South Sea shares never came back in vogue.
    • worldtraveller
    • By worldtraveller 2nd Feb 18, 12:47 PM
    • 11,763 Posts
    • 23,487 Thanks
    worldtraveller
    BTC-USD market down around 15% currently today with the price at below USD8,000. There's a lot of volatility though, as you'd expect.

If it continues this way, then we're maybe now into the "fear" stage, and soon the "capitulation" phase of the "Stages in a Bubble".

Last edited by worldtraveller; 02-02-2018 at 1:07 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

2,323Users online

Martin's Twitter