Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mark610610
    • By Mark610610 9th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Mark610610
    Would the OR consider course costs to train in a new career as a reasonable expense?
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:03 PM
    Would the OR consider course costs to train in a new career as a reasonable expense? 9th Jan 18 at 4:03 PM
    I was declared bankrupt in December 2017, so I should be discharged by the end of the year. During the period of bankruptcy, it is my intention to re-train/requalify for a new career in IT, whilst working in a temporary job(s) to support myself financially.

I am currently unemployed so currently have no IPA in place, however, I expect t secure some form of employment within the next few weeks. Of course, I'll need to make the Official Reciever aware of my change in circumstances when this happens.

I've conducted a large amount of research regarding the best route into the IT profession and that is to complete a course, which upon successful completion guarantees an interview with a partner of the training provider. It is promoted that 95% of the people which take this route are offered a position. Reviews on Trustpilot seem to back up this claim.

The cost of the course is 594 and can be paid in monthly instalments (up to 12) and a credit check isn't required, so if I pay a deposit of 100, I am borrowing less than 500 which is in the parameters permitted for borrowing. There are some exams I would need to sit, however, I can pay as I go with these. I envisage the total cost of the course, learning materials and exams would be in the region of 1440.

Would the Official Reciever consider a monthly cost of 120 towards this training/education to be reasonable? I'm spreading the cost over 12 months as it must be completed within 1 year of enrolling.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark
Page 1
  • National Debtline
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    Hi Mark and welcome to MSE,

I am afraid this will be at the discretion of the OR. Although the OR cannot stop you doing a training course, he may query how this would be funded. If you are on a benefit only income, the OR is unlikely to be concerned with this as he cannot implement an Income Payment Arrangement (IPA) anyway. Or if a family member/ third party was to fund this course then, again, the OR wouldn't be able to object to you going on the course.

However, if you do secure employment and this is the main source of the funds for the course, the OR will consider the situation more carefully. If you have 120 spare per month, this would mean you would likely qualify for an IPA so whether or not the OR will want this money will be up to them. If the course may lead to more income and ultimately a higher IPA in the future, then it may be in their interest to let you go.

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to say for certain one way or the other and you need to talk to your OR. You would need to outline your proposal and discuss it with them directly. Best of luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • patman99
    • By patman99 10th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 8,206 Posts
    • 9,671 Thanks
    patman99
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    Believe me, a huge number of IT jobs are being outsourced abroad. You would be better off training for a trade.
    Never Knowingly Understood.

Member #1 of 1,000 challenge - 1000/ 1000 (that's 100%)

3-6 month EF 631.65/3600 (that's 10 days worth)

Do you/your spouse earn less than 197 p/w ?. Fill-in Form R85 and get your Bank interest Tax free.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,138Posts Today

8,135Users online

Martin's Twitter