Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 9th Jan 18, 3:42 PM
    • 2,294Posts
    • 4,275Thanks
    SamsReturn
    What's wrong with the Daily Mail ?
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:42 PM
    What's wrong with the Daily Mail ? 9th Jan 18 at 3:42 PM
    After Hillsborough there was a big campaign in this part of the world to get the Sun removed from the news stands, and left in toilets were it belongs. Even after all these years, thousands wouldn't have a copy in the house.
    Now Richard Branson is doing the same. He doesn't want the Daily Mail on his trains.
    Virgin Trains has announced that it is going to stop selling the Daily Mail newspaper on its West Coast trains.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42621425
    Was it something they said ?
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 33,189 Posts
    • 39,103 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:45 PM
    Was it the DM that ran the corbn story about him having to sit on the floor of a virgin Train ?
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 4,272 Posts
    • 9,621 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    What's right with the Daily Mail? Apart from its political stance.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • By Eric_the_half_a_bee 9th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,893 Thanks
    Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    It's a biased newspaper which panders to the unpleasant prejudices of its readership base.
    Just like all newspapers do.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 9th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    5th paragraph - "The Virgin spokesperson added that when it stocked the paper, it only sold one copy for every four trains."

Makes sense to no longer stock a product for which there is negligible demand amongst their customer base.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 9th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    What's wrong with the Daily Mail? If you want one of the quicker comprehensive answers, I would recommend watching this video: -

http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/james-obrien-rips-apart-the-daily-mail-editor/
    • fewgroats
    • By fewgroats 9th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 445 Posts
    • 275 Thanks
    fewgroats
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:17 PM
    It supported the Nazi party during the Second World War. Since then it has continued to lean to the right.
    ASK & ANSWER CHALLENGE. ASKS:3. ANSWER: 2.
    • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • By Eric_the_half_a_bee 9th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 1,143 Posts
    • 5,893 Thanks
    Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:21 PM
    It supported the Nazi party during the Second World War.
    Originally posted by fewgroats
    And the Guardian supported both Stalin and Mao Tse-Tung. But somehow that's fine.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 14,128 Posts
    • 18,706 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    It supported the Nazi party during the Second World War.
    No it didn't.

I just happen to have a copy of the October 18, 1941 Daily Mail on my desk and there isn't a hint of support for the Nazi Party in it. Quite the opposite, in fact.
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 09-01-2018 at 4:56 PM.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 9th Jan 18, 5:10 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Diamandis
    Do you mean besides from all the hate and fear they spread?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Jan 18, 5:13 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 5,273 Thanks
    Nick_C
    It supported the Nazi party during the Second World War. Since then it has continued to lean to the right.
    Typical left wing lies made up when the facts don't suit your political agenda.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 5,273 Thanks
    Nick_C
    BA have also stopped giving away the Mail and the Telegraph, but for purely Commercial reasons.

Virgin are of course free to decide what they do and do not sell on their trains, but to base this on their political views is obnoxious.

Virgin would be in real trouble if all Daily Mail readers decide to boycott the company. Sadly, in the case of the trains, there is usually no alternative.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 9th Jan 18, 5:24 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 281 Thanks
    newatc
    I don't like the Daily Mail but the statement of it's support during the Second World War is plainly incorrect. It is true that for a while in the thirties it supported Mosely's fascists but this quite different from supporting a party aligned to a country at a time when the country in question was at war with Britain.
    • wearside
    • By wearside 9th Jan 18, 5:27 PM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    wearside
    I read the Telegraph and they don't sell that on the trains!
    To Dare is To Do
    • DeputyDawgg
    • By DeputyDawgg 9th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    DeputyDawgg
    Was it the DM that ran the corbn story about him having to sit on the floor of a virgin Train ?
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    The did dod a story about some trains connect to Virgin getting govenment bail out, heard it on the radio earlier, think it was South West trains?

Think I got that wrong, maybe something to do with this
    East Coast rail 'bailout' could cost taxpayers hundreds of millions
    Unions and Labour criticise government as Virgin Trains East Coast’s contract is terminated three years early
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/29/east-coast-rail-franchise-terminated-three-years-early-virgin-trains

Anyhow I do not like a lot of stuff the Daily Mail prints but it is one of the best papers for free speech and if they write nasty stuff I can usually reply in the comments, try disagreeing with the Guardian and see how long you last!
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 3,837 Posts
    • 5,273 Thanks
    Nick_C
    I expect we can look forward to a lot more stories about tax exile Branson and Virgin Group in future
    • DeputyDawgg
    • By DeputyDawgg 9th Jan 18, 6:15 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    DeputyDawgg
    Yes stuff like this
    Richard Branson defends government bailout of Virgin's East Coast rail

Intervention necessary with losses overwhelming track and train upgrade and investment commitments, says entrepreneur
    So a private company receiving billions from the government.

THAT IS NOT RIGHT.

They should not have been bailed out they too the risk they MUST take the loss because you can be dammed sure they will be taking the PROFITS.
    • SamsReturn
    • By SamsReturn 9th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 4,275 Thanks
    SamsReturn
    5th paragraph - "The Virgin spokesperson added that when it stocked the paper, it only sold one copy for every four trains."

Makes sense to no longer stock a product for which there is negligible demand amongst their customer base.
    Originally posted by NaughtiusMaximus
    It also says this ......
    "There's been considerable concern raised by colleagues about the Mail's editorial position on issues such as immigration, LGBT rights and unemployment.
    "We've decided that this paper is not compatible with the VT brand and our beliefs.
    • tho
    • By tho 9th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    tho
    It's a paper which one day quite happily blames Facebook for promoting violence against mps and the very next day puts up a rogue's gallery of "traitors", who haven't gone along with their political ideas and don't see the hypocrisy. Vile paper.
    • DeputyDawgg
    • By DeputyDawgg 9th Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 250 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    DeputyDawgg
    The government should claw the bail out back.

See Branson can get a bail out for one of his companies on a government contract whilst his other companies are making profits.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

957Posts Today

8,149Users online

Martin's Twitter