Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • treecol
    • By treecol 9th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 266Posts
    • 31Thanks
    treecol
    Washing machine
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    Washing machine 9th Jan 18 at 2:19 PM
    This is a little petty, I know, but you may know a solution. I have a Bosch washing machine that is around 10 years old. I've always used powder in it & it still washes well. I have run through soda crystals over the years to keep it clean. I've cleaned inside behind the rubber seal etc.
    But my washing smells of nothing when it comes out of the machine. I usually use non-bio plus fabric softener. So I switched to a bio powder that smalls fab in the box, still the washing smells of absolutely nothing! It doesn't smell dirty still but then neither does it smell clean. I've lost count of how many friends washing I've smelt wafting around the house or garden as it drys - a really lovely smell.
    Any ideas?
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 9th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 1,989 Posts
    • 2,622 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    I suspect you've become accustomed to the smell. It's like the smell of your own house - you don't really detect it but everyone else's house has a distinctive smell.

The alternative might be that you're not using enough powder. Are you in a hard water area? Most powders suggest 30-50% more dosage in hard water areas.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 33,191 Posts
    • 39,111 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    Try a hot wash with a cheap biological powder
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 9th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 2,680 Posts
    • 4,368 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    I prefer my washing to just smell clean. It doesn't need to be perfumed. Nothing worse than sitting next to someone who smells of Lenor.

If you want it to smell awesome, line dry on a frosty day. Can't be beaten.
    • treecol
    • By treecol 9th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    treecol
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:55 PM
    I suspect you've become accustomed to the smell. It's like the smell of your own house - you don't really detect it but everyone else's house has a distinctive smell.

The alternative might be that you're not using enough powder. Are you in a hard water area? Most powders suggest 30-50% more dosage in hard water areas.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    Yes, I realise that could be with the old powder but this is new that I'm using. We are in a hard water area though, so maybe I'll use a bit more. Thank you all anyway!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,157Posts Today

5,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin