Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chequeout
    • By chequeout 9th Jan 18, 2:12 PM
    • 171Posts
    • 105Thanks
    chequeout
    Please help: laptop mega-slow
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:12 PM
    Please help: laptop mega-slow 9th Jan 18 at 2:12 PM
    Hi all,

I have a Lenovo laptop, it's about 3 years old, and up until December it was working perfectly. I mean, totally perfectly, to the point that I kept thinking what a good laptop it was.

However, it was switched off for 3 weeks while I was at my parents place over Christmas, it was not used whatsoever. Prior to thism, it was used daily. I switched it on for the first time again yesterday after the three-week break and it is going so slowly. All of the windows components are going so slowly it is ridiculous, it takes about 2 mins to open a PDF, it won't connect to the printer, etc. The Internet is hit or miss, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it isn't and it freezes. I've re-booted loads of times, still the problem persists today.

No idea why it has done this - it doesn't contain a lot of files, it has plenty of storage space left. I have full virus and malware protection on constantly and have run a scan and nothing has been found.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know as I will be so grateful. I cannot afford a new one, I rely on this laptop so much to connect with the outside world (I rarely leave the house and suffer from low confidence) and I cannot cope with this if it is broken.

Thanks so much everyone in advance.
    Pounds, shillings and pence; I caught a dirty wench, I gave a cough, her leg fell off, pounds shillings and pence

MSE EXPERT - THE CARLSBERG OF THE MONEY WORLD
Page 1
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 9th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 7,025 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:14 PM
    Have you tried doing a system restore to 3 weeks ago?
    Don't be angry!
    • chequeout
    • By chequeout 9th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    chequeout
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    No idea what that is / how to do it. Thanks though.
    Pounds, shillings and pence; I caught a dirty wench, I gave a cough, her leg fell off, pounds shillings and pence

• J B
    • By J B 9th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    J B
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:22 PM
    I wonder if it's trying to do it's dreaded windoze updates??

I normally find that restarting several times gives it a sufficient kick although the latest 'update' (fall edition? - not sure what has fallen but hey-ho) seems to be a biggie.
    • chequeout
    • By chequeout 9th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    chequeout
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    No idea, it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Just so confused, it has gone from being a great laptop to being simply useless.

• spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 9th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 7,025 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    Start (windows button)

All programs > Accessories > System tools > System restore

Pick the latest point the computer was running well and restore from their.
    Don't be angry!
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 9th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    I wonder if it's trying to do it's dreaded windoze updates??
    Originally posted by J B
    This. Before doing a restore, type "windows update" in Cortana/search; click "Windows update setting" and tell us what it says...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Exemplar
    • By Exemplar 9th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 460 Thanks
    Exemplar
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:12 PM
    This. Before doing a restore, type "windows update" in Cortana/search; click "Windows update setting" and tell us what it says...
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    This.

Some of the recent updates are HUGE and will definitely slow your PC down to a crawl...
    'Just because its on the internet don't believe it 100%'. Abraham Lincoln.
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 9th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 2,264 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:22 PM
    3 weeks is a long time in a win10 world. before doing anything else i would make sure all updates have been installed. and then do a system clean up
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 10th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 3,657 Posts
    • 2,876 Thanks
    AndyPix
    I have full virus and malware protection on constantly.
    Originally posted by chequeout

I would be looking in this direction.

What software are you using for this ?
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 10th Jan 18, 11:13 AM
    • 5,426 Posts
    • 7,601 Thanks
    deannatrois
    The last window update caused a lot of problems with my desktop. Lots of software just wouldn't work anymore, even Chrome was affected and the pc became quite slow (its not a slow pc).

I restored the pc to before the update and it ran fine. Been avoiding all windows updates ever since lol.

If you don't know how to run restore, google it with your version of windows i.e how to do Windows 10 system restore
    • ptrichardson
    • By ptrichardson 18th Jan 18, 9:39 PM
    • 213 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    ptrichardson
    Open task manager, and enable "all process" if needed. Arrange by CPU use.
    What's taking up CPU time?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

2,255Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin