Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • barafear799
    • By barafear799 9th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 29Thanks
    barafear799
    Euro Car Park (ECP) PCN Matalan POPLA Appeal
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    Euro Car Park (ECP) PCN Matalan POPLA Appeal 9th Jan 18 at 2:08 PM
    Hi,

Yes I have read the newbies thread. Thank you for the advice in there.
    I understand my first step is to appeal online using the template letter for BPA members - however, I did have a query.

The gist of that letter states the reason for the appeal is the "large lettering and prominence" of the signs.

Do I use this argument even if this is not necessarily the case - because this is simply step 1 and every appeal will be rejected at this stage anyway. I can then "personalise" my appeal at the POPLA stage?

In terms of appealing to Matalan - the keeper doesn't have any receipts - the keeper didn't even shop in there - the driver dropped off a relative and waited in the car park for her - believing she wouldn't be "too long" - the PCN letter shows the unpaid stay of the driver as being 35 mins.
    the relative doesn't have any proof of shopping - no receipts/paid by cash - not even sure if they used her Matalan card -

in terms of an appeal to Matalan would this simply be to the manager of the store?

Many thanks
    B
    Last edited by barafear799; 01-03-2018 at 3:17 PM. Reason: changing title to match movement in scenario
Page 3
    • barafear799
    • By barafear799 5th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    barafear799
    How long do Popla appeals take?
    As per title?

Is there a "standard" time to hear back from Popla?

Mine has been 22 days (total days, not working - and I guess with Easter that means only around 14 working days) since I responded to ECP's evidence.

Thank you.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 5th Apr 18, 2:46 PM
    • 2,270 Posts
    • 2,702 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    No standard, just keep an eye on the website.
    • barafear799
    • By barafear799 9th Apr 18, 12:13 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    barafear799
    Must have heard me "talking" - the result of the appeal has come through and I have been unsuccessful.
    So, what now?
    Do I just sit it out and hope ECP don't take me to court if I don't pay?
    Shame you can't appeal against the POPLA decision - it almost seems that was a bit of a copy/paste from a template - they declined it for a number of reasons that I didn't argue - such as the signs were not visible in the dark - despite the fact the "offence" took place at 10am - so was not dark. Hey ho.

Anyway - further advice much appreciated.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 35,134 Posts
    • 19,234 Thanks
    Quentin
    What to do after popla rejection is covered in the Newbies FAQ thread #4 (debt collectors stage)
    • barafear799
    • By barafear799 9th Apr 18, 1:08 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    barafear799
    Hope I don't get to debt collector's stage!!
    Thanks - will have a look.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 9th Apr 18, 1:11 PM
    • 35,134 Posts
    • 19,234 Thanks
    Quentin
    You in that stage now

Nothing to be afraid of!
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Apr 18, 9:09 PM
    • 56,189 Posts
    • 69,850 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    You do realise debt collectors stage is merely some threatograms we have laughed at for a decade?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3829727

My first ever private PCN was from Euro Car Parks, before POPLA existed as an option, and how we laughed at the chain of desperate letters they wasted their time on for a few months!

PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• barafear799
    • By barafear799 10th Apr 18, 12:29 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    barafear799
    Thanks CM.
    I have read the threads about the general feeling that ECP do not go to court.
    However, I have other (non parking related) cases which have ended up in court when I was led to believe that the possibility was as rare as hen's teeth!
    In fact, whilst I was at court last month, there was another case being heard which was for a parking company (albeit not ECP) - and that was found in favour of the parking company (I overheard their solicitor on the phone phoning back to head office - presumably - to relay the news of the case).

Thanks anyway.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 10th Apr 18, 1:18 PM
    • 6,647 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    KeithP
    See here:

Nearly a million tickets issued over the last three years, but only three court hearings.
    No-one knows whether those three hearings were anything to do with parking.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

435Posts Today

5,030Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Follow Martin