Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smeags
    • By Smeags 9th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Smeags
    Speeds: SSE & Plusnet vs BT and Sky?
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    Speeds: SSE & Plusnet vs BT and Sky? 9th Jan 18 at 1:59 PM
    Hi,

I feel like I'm asking a stupid question, but also, i don't know the answer... I need to get fibre broadband and am currently with BT but the contract has recently expired. I'm currently paying 47 a month. I certainly won't be staying with them and negotiating a better deal as I've had trouble with their customer services during the contract.....

(I need fibre because I live in a semi-rural area. If I went for standard, I'd get a pathetic speed. About 3 Mbps).

The question is, in the past, I've always been with either BT or Sky for broadband. I'm now considering going to one of the 'smaller' companies like SSE or Plusnet who have the best prrices at the moment.

If I go to this, can I expect the broadband to be slower because of the lower price? Or would the price be the same? As whoever I go with, I'm going to be using the very same fibre optic cables right?

I'm quite a heavy user. I do a lot of online gaming, and netflix streaming. I'm simply worried about getting a lot of lag during the gaming, or buffering whilst streaming?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 9th Jan 18, 3:27 PM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:27 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:27 PM
    As it will be using the same Openreach line you can expect your speeds to be around what you are currently getting.
    • Smeags
    • By Smeags 9th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Smeags
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:38 PM
    That puts my mind at ease. Thanks!
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 9th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 351 Thanks
    Mister G
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    However, as a heavy user, you may wish to look to see if any of the alternatives do traffic management/shaping, as this could well affect your speeds.

See here

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/reviews/sse-broadband

and here

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/key-fact-indicators-for-broadband-traffic-prioritisation/
    Last edited by Mister G; 09-01-2018 at 3:49 PM.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 9th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 2,907 Posts
    • 817 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    avoid SSE though, as there are a lot of complaints about speed/performance
    • Smeags
    • By Smeags 9th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Smeags
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:57 PM
    Thanks again. I've just signed up with Plusnet and am not worried one bit now.

Chose them because of SSE's traffic management policy, as you said Mister G. Although I did like the fact they had a rolling contract and can leave at any time.

Also went via Topcashback. That's 80 cashback if it tracks properly!
    • downshifted
    • By downshifted 13th Jan 18, 8:58 AM
    • 914 Posts
    • 1,944 Thanks
    downshifted
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:58 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:58 AM
    I!!!8217;ve just moved to plusnet fibre and my speeds are much lower than they were with BT. It!!!8217;s noticeable even with just 2 of us in the house. We often have young family to stay and it will drive them mad.
    Downshifted

September GC 251.21/250 October 248.82/250 January 159.53/200
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 13th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    Are you measuring speed the correct way ??
    Ethernet cable and router fed from master socket .
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 13th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 1,600 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 10:28 AM
    However, as a heavy user, you may wish to look to see if any of the alternatives do traffic management/shaping, as this could well affect your speeds.

See here

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/reviews/sse-broadband

and here

https://www.plus.net/help/legal/key-fact-indicators-for-broadband-traffic-prioritisation/
    Originally posted by Mister G
    I!!!8217;ve just moved to plusnet fibre and my speeds are much lower than they were with BT. It!!!8217;s noticeable even with just 2 of us in the house. We often have young family to stay and it will drive them mad.
    Originally posted by downshifted
    If you were using BT Infinity 2 or had BT Infinity 1 but had been given the free speed increase to Infinity 2 levels, it's possible that if the Plusnet package you have bought is the upto 38Mb, it could conceivably be around half the speed of the BT Infinity product you had previously
    Last edited by iniltous; 13-01-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

307Posts Today

3,762Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin