Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spikeuk36
    • By spikeuk36 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    spikeuk36
    Advice! - moved house - No gas for 28+ days
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    Advice! - moved house - No gas for 28+ days 9th Jan 18 at 1:16 PM
    Hi We bought a house which was owned by a nursing home previously.

We didn't know but at the time the gas is supplied by commerical operator Gazprom, we have asked for this to be switched to a domestic supplier, its been over a month and we've had zero contact.

I am annoyed our solicitor didn't pick up on this when running the searches etc. The seller didn't fill in the supplier for gas field on the services form.

We chased this up a week ago with Gazprom and were told it can take upto 28 days + especially with Christmas holidays.

In the meantime we have no gas at all - and so in turn no central heating, no cooker.
    The house is freezing, we've been using electric heaters running up the bill.
    We are a small family.

What rights do we have? I thought switch over had to be almost instant? In the mean time I am out of pocket paying for high electricity bills.

What are the laws for switch over - I thought there were some laws in place to avoid being without services completely?

We've been in since 5th January.

- any advise would be most appreciated!
    brrrrr
Page 1
    • BJV
    • By BJV 9th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 2,255 Posts
    • 3,376 Thanks
    BJV
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    Ok well don't think you are going to like this but ????I remember when i moved similar ish scenario in so much as the owner did not fill in half of the information.

Our solicitor gave us a sheet ( sure it will have a fancy name but I don't remember ) we had to check and agree with and sign. Anything we where worried about we asked.

I hate to say it but I think that as you did not ask and then signed then the onus is on you. That said I honestly feel your pain we moved on the the 8th of Jan 2016 so it was cold. Very cold!

Ref switch over I think that the committed time is 28 days ???

Sorry.
    Happiness, Health and Wealth in that order please!
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 9th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 5,195 Posts
    • 7,002 Thanks
    spadoosh
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:35 PM
    Something sounds amiss.

I cant imagine theyve terminated your gas supply (if they have it will be via the stop !!!! just outside your house.). So it seems really strange that youve told them youre without gas and theyve not sent someone to turn it on, even if you are switching as the new provider will surely want the gas to be flowing.

Might be a stupid question but are you sure youve turned the gas on?
    Don't be angry!
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 9th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 1,383 Posts
    • 1,166 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    Just turn the gas control valve onto ON, if its capped (no gas when its switched on ) employ a gas safe man to take the cap out
    .Its too cold to be messing about with Gazprom.
    They have "horrendous " daily standing charges usually, which they will be charging you from day one of completion and not from the date you moved in.
    .The last person on here quoted I think 4 a day standing charges from Gazprom
    Business users of gas can haggle the price, dependent on usage to get decent rates.
    As a domestic user I hope the gas bill will drop a lot for you from a nursing home which is a tropical hothouse 24 hrs a day.
    You need to not only get a better tariff from Gazprom but set in motion the transfer from business to domestic use.This will mean getting proof from the local council rates offices to prove domestic status.
    This could be a long process both getting shut of the Russians of Gazprom and switching to domestic where you can get gas at 2.75p/kwh and 21p a day standing charges with eg Daligas
    Last edited by House Martin; 09-01-2018 at 2:20 PM.
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 9th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:59 PM
    So you've only been without gas for 5 days not +28?

When did you first contact Gazprom? As House Martain says, just get it turned back on, why was it turned off in the first place - was the place empty for a long time?
    Attempting to buy a house
    • trickytree1963
    • By trickytree1963 9th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 248 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    trickytree1963
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    I feel you misunderstood what Gazprom said? They would need to change you from Non Domestic to domestic on the National database so a domestic supplier was able to process a switch request. They shouldn't need to cut off the supply in the meantime though. When you moved in on 5th January you should take a meter reading and give it to Gazprom. Your supply might be switched off if the property was empty/being renovated before you moved in, or they could have capped it for safety. Worth having a Gas Safety check but the supply should be on anyway
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 9th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:47 PM
    I would think this is quite a large property - your consumption may be more than is normally expected for a domestic property and domestic tariff. I think its 60,000 kwh
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 9th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    Hi We bought a house which was owned by a nursing home previously.

We didn't know but at the time the gas is supplied by commerical operator Gazprom, we have asked for this to be switched to a domestic supplier, its been over a month and we've had zero contact.

I am annoyed our solicitor didn't pick up on this when running the searches etc. The seller didn't fill in the supplier for gas field on the services form.

We chased this up a week ago with Gazprom and were told it can take upto 28 days + especially with Christmas holidays.

In the meantime we have no gas at all - and so in turn no central heating, no cooker.
    The house is freezing, we've been using electric heaters running up the bill.
    We are a small family.

What rights do we have? I thought switch over had to be almost instant? In the mean time I am out of pocket paying for high electricity bills.

What are the laws for switch over - I thought there were some laws in place to avoid being without services completely?

We've been in since 5th January.

- any advise would be most appreciated!
    brrrrr
    Originally posted by spikeuk36
    Speak to your solicitor

What information did the vendor provide to the solicitor regarding services & their suppliers? (they left it blank)
    Was this info passed onto you by your solicitor?
    If not, why not?

Consider appointing another solicitor to investigate how your existing solicitor handled the conveyancing. If they didn't do this, makes you wonder what else they did or didn't do for their money.
    Last edited by footyguy; 09-01-2018 at 6:08 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    Speak to your solicitor

What information did the vendor provide to the solicitor regarding services & their suppliers? (they left it blank)
    Was this info passed onto you by your solicitor?
    If not, why not?

Consider appointing another solicitor to investigate how your existing solicitor handled the conveyancing. If they didn't do this, makes you wonder what else they did or didn't do for their money.
    Originally posted by footyguy
    I have purchased a number of properties over the years and I have never seen the details of the energy suppliers on any legal document. I always ask the vendor for the information. I am not sure paying a solicitor to investigate a relatively small issue is worth the cost - but that is just my opinion.
    • Kitchen Sink
    • By Kitchen Sink 9th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    Kitchen Sink
    I have purchased a number of properties over the years and I have never seen the details of the energy suppliers on any legal document. I always ask the vendor for the information. I am not sure paying a solicitor to investigate a relatively small issue is worth the cost - but that is just my opinion.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    The information should be included in Section 13 of form TA6

The OP presumably has paid a solicitor, or at least a licenced conveyancer, for the work already.
    If the instructed expert failed to spot this, makes you wonder what else they missed/didn't bother to check, as footyguy has already warned
    Last edited by Kitchen Sink; 09-01-2018 at 7:54 PM.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th Jan 18, 8:24 PM
    • 5,923 Posts
    • 3,647 Thanks
    Hengus
    The information should be included in Section 13 of form TA6

The OP presumably has paid a solicitor, or at least a licenced conveyancer, for the work already.
    If the instructed expert failed to spot this, makes you wonder what else they missed/didn't bother to check, as footyguy has already warned
    Originally posted by Kitchen Sink
    Wow - things have changed in the past few years. I have never ever been asked by a solicitor/conveyancer to fill in anything like the TA6. My last sale was 10 or so years ago.
    • spikeuk36
    • By spikeuk36 10th Jan 18, 9:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    spikeuk36
    Thanks for all your comments.

Ahh! Typo in my original post - ''Weve been in since 5th dec!!'' not 5th Jan!

The property has been empty for quite some time - I'm not sure how long I suspect a year plus.

I have tried turning the handle on the meter supply but no flow, I presume this has been disconnected previously? would there be another stop I need to turn on?

We did ask why it was blank at the time, the electric supplier was also marked as unknown, we didn't really think anything of it at the time. The person completing the form was quite old terrible writing and wrote some items as unknown when we had seen them present in the house etc - had quite a few unknowns I guess because it might be handled at head office, we had to go back several times to ask for more info.

...But yes I would have thought the gas would have been flowing regardless? - but then I don't know if its due to being a commercial supply?

I presume the care home must have asked for it to be switched off and are not going to ask for it to be switched back on so looks like were waiting.

We now have a date from Gazprom at least of the 17th Jan. I'm not sure what's going to happen on that day its about as clear as mud.

I'm surprised the solicitor didn't pick up that it has been used as a commercial property and could possibly have commercial service suppliers when its being sold by a care home.

..something for everyone else to watch out for!
    • macman
    • By macman 10th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 41,920 Posts
    • 17,396 Thanks
    macman
    Are you saying that you didn't know that it was previously used as a care home? If you did, then it should be obvious that the utilities (gas/electricity/water) will be on business tariffs.
    And what happened when you tried to register for council tax? It should have been flagged up at that point that the property was not residential.
    The gas and electricity supply is not normally disconnected at end of contract (that stopped happening nearly 30 years ago), however if the property was going to be unoccupied for some time, then the supplies may simply have been isolated for safety reasons. 'Isolated' is not the same as 'disconnected'.
    Residential switches are never 'almost instant': they can take up to 5 weeks. But there is no disconnection, it's merely a billing change.
    How come you do have a live electricity supply, and on what tariff are you receiving that?
    Last edited by macman; 10-01-2018 at 10:41 AM.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 10th Jan 18, 10:47 AM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    dogshome
    There have been previous posts from domestic householders who have bought what was previously a commercial property, but with this property they have inherited a 'Business' supplier who only supply on Commercial Contract terms

By the rules these suppliers are not allowed to supply domestic premises, but getting it changed over to domestic status has proven to be difficult, and I'm afraid that Gazprom are among the worst one's to deal with.

You need to prove to Gazprom that the building is now for domestic use only, by sending them a copy of your Council Tax Bill and any other proof you have
    Copy of mortgage paperwork ?.

In the letter containing these, point out that as a Business supplier, they are not allowed to supply domestic premises
    • spikeuk36
    • By spikeuk36 10th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    spikeuk36
    It's a small cottage it was used by the care home owners to house their staff. For some reason the water and electric were easy - both were already on and we switched over to another supplier of our choice without issue, it only seems only the gas was on a commercial supply.

We didn't get anything flagged with council tax, maybe the sellers had already informed the council etc it was switching to domestic use.

The care home is not that far away, I think their gas line is adjacent to ours so maybe its same contract as the main care home rather than specific to our property.

I'll have to take a second look around at the gas main, I think there is a concrete cover marked GAS in the street but is this something I am allowed to get an engineer to touch? presumably there is another isolator in here?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 10th Jan 18, 12:31 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    Robin9
    There should be levers immediately on both sides of the meter plus (possibly) a 3rd where the gas pipe comes out of the floor.
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 10th Jan 18, 2:37 PM
    • 3,032 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    dogshome
    The 'Contract' relates directly to the meter - You do have one of your own inside or outside close to the building ?

Local Authorities are very much on the ball with C/Tax bills when a property changes hands or use - If you have not yet had one, chase it up as it is the Proof Positive you need to convince Gazprom this is now a domestic dwelling
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 11th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 2,649 Posts
    • 1,726 Thanks
    Robin9
    As Gazprom dont do domestic - is it worth while as a first move to swop to someone who does say BG and then to swop within BG to domestic.

PS Did you manage to get your gas switched on.?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,365Posts Today

7,397Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin