Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • emmadragon
    • By emmadragon 9th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    • 96Posts
    • 221Thanks
    emmadragon
    TV License for 2 Months
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:32 PM
    TV License for 2 Months 9th Jan 18 at 12:32 PM
    Dear All,

Wondering if someone can help before I call TV Licensing... Hubbie and I decided a while ago to stop watching live TV and anything BBC related so do not need to pay for a TV license. We have a Netflix account and watch catch up (not iPlayer). Last year we were able to watch the 6 Nations at the Pub but this year I'll be 9 months pregnant (due 25th Feb) and so wanted to watch it at home.

We don't want to buy a TV license for the year - before you say 'oh but its not that expensive', we have a baby on the way and don't need any extra expense considering we've not missed it for over a year! Does any one know if its OK to have a license for a couple of months and then cancel it again?

Many thanks in advnace,
    Emma
    2009 Wins so far: 6 month supply of special K, Super Glue, Pushing Dasies Season 2 DVD, Sonisphere Tickets, Gold iPod, Fourth Plinth Winner 8th Oct 6-7pm, £100 Tesco Vouchers, Star-Ship Troopers on Blu-Ray (no player yet!), another iPod Touch
    First win Friday 13th - who said it was unlucky?
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 9th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 4,367 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:35 PM
    Yes just set it up on DD and cancel the DD, when you get the letter just clearly state you have no Live TV
    • glentoran99
    • By glentoran99 9th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 5,336 Posts
    • 4,521 Thanks
    glentoran99
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:38 PM
    I wouldn't bother
    • emmadragon
    • By emmadragon 9th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 96 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    emmadragon
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    Yes just set it up on DD and cancel the DD, when you get the letter just clearly state you have no Live TV
    Originally posted by bengalknights
    That was an idea, I was thinking if I did PayPoint then I could just put 2 months worth of money on it and then just register as no longer watching live TV on their website
    2009 Wins so far: 6 month supply of special K, Super Glue, Pushing Dasies Season 2 DVD, Sonisphere Tickets, Gold iPod, Fourth Plinth Winner 8th Oct 6-7pm, £100 Tesco Vouchers, Star-Ship Troopers on Blu-Ray (no player yet!), another iPod Touch
    First win Friday 13th - who said it was unlucky?
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 9th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    Viewing their prices here:
    https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/pay-for-your-tv-licence/ways-to-pay/direct-debit

I know it's direct debit, but easier to show how much paying per month if first licence.

Making a one off payment is £147.00 is for the year.

TV Licence refund and cancellation
    http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/cancellations-and-refunds-top7

May work out cheaper paying in full rather than monthly (first licence).
    • Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • By Blackbeard of Perranporth 10th Jan 18, 12:21 PM
    • 5,108 Posts
    • 30,659 Thanks
    Blackbeard of Perranporth
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:21 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:21 PM
    In the time the TV Tax Collectors react, the six nations will be over!

SCRAP THE REGRESSIVE TV TAX
    Commemorate Celebrate Inspire
    #RAF100 A century of service!
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 12th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 10,109 Posts
    • 10,037 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 11:16 PM
    The Licence can be cancelled in full months now (used to be quarters) so there is no need for subterfuge.

Just take out a Licence, and cancel it when you no longer need it. I would definitely recommend telling them that you want to cancel, rather than stopping the DD, as (a) you'll want a refund of any over-payment, and (b) they have a slightly bad habit of assigning debt collectors. It shouldn't make any difference whether you pay in full or by monthly DD.

If you're only having it for a short time, then be aware that it will always start from the 1st of the month in which you sign up for it, and it'll always end on the last day of the month in which you cancel. i.e. if the dates are unfavourable you can lose up to 2 months.

I suspect that MSE would prefer it if FMs did not suggest breaking the law by evading the Licence.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 12-01-2018 at 11:23 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 13th Jan 18, 3:22 AM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 1,523 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:22 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 3:22 AM
    If you pay by monthly DD you pay double rate for the 1st 6 mths so not straight forward.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jan 18, 8:19 AM
    • 10,109 Posts
    • 10,037 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:19 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 8:19 AM
    If you pay by monthly DD you pay double rate for the 1st 6 mths so not straight forward.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    Yes and no. You pay double, but the underlying Licence still costs the same.

So, it's a good reason not to take out a Monthly DD and just cancel it, but as long as you do formally cancel it, it shouldn't make any difference.
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 16th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 825 Posts
    • 1,654 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    I suspect that MSE would prefer it if FMs did not suggest breaking the law by evading the Licence.
    Originally posted by Cornucopia
    I know that everyone would prefer that TV licensing didnít bully, scare and threaten people into buying a TV license even when they donít need one.

#JustSayiní
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 17th Jan 18, 10:04 AM
    • 10,109 Posts
    • 10,037 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    I know that everyone would prefer that TV licensing didnít bully, scare and threaten people into buying a TV license even when they donít need one.

#JustSayiní
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Yes... I have and will continue to criticise BBC-TV Licensing for their scandalously poor approach to enforcement, of which the bullying and scare tactics you mention are the tip of a massive iceberg of malfeasance.

However, and it's quite an important consideration for me, there is (as yet) no equivalence to be had between the misdemeanours of TV Licensing and breaches of the law by citizens in the form of Licence evasion. The whole point is that innocent citizens are suffering harassment and false accusations from TV Licensing - and they only hold the moral high ground whilst they themselves continue to be innocent.

• 6022tivo
    • By 6022tivo 21st Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 548 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    6022tivo
    Hijacking the thread.

I'm in the same boat and my license expires at the end of this month.

I don't want the hassle of the letters and upon speaking to them last year I can just inform them I'm not watching BBC iplayer, or any live broadcast and they will flag my account and not bother me for two years.

I know people will say, just ignore them, don't let them in, don't give them details. But I can't be bothered living in fear for every door knock with my camera phone out.

So... Just call them, or is there an online form that will make it easier?
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 21st Jan 18, 7:01 PM
    • 10,109 Posts
    • 10,037 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Hijacking the thread.

I'm in the same boat and my license expires at the end of this month.

I don't want the hassle of the letters and upon speaking to them last year I can just inform them I'm not watching BBC iplayer, or any live broadcast and they will flag my account and not bother me for two years.
    Originally posted by 6022tivo
    This seems to be something of a "meme" at the moment. To be clear:

- the "declaration" is not a legal document of any kind, just a figment of TVL's imagination. Complete it or not, it makes little difference.

- there are a lot of reports that completing the "declaration" doesn't result in 2 years free of threatening letters.

- TVL themselves say that "they may still call to check" if you complete the "declaration".

- TVL say that if, having completed the "declaration", you are subsequently found to be evading (including false or spurious allegations) they will treat you more harshly than someone who did not make the "declaration".

I know people will say, just ignore them, don't let them in, don't give them details. But I can't be bothered living in fear for every door knock with my camera phone out.
    You understand that they may still call? It is your (anyone's) legal right to decline to be interviewed under caution, therefore simply saying: "It's not convenient right now, could you call back some other time?", and shutting the door is perfectly legal, perfectly polite and perfectly appropriate given the legally dubious TVL regime.

So... Just call them, or is there an online form that will make it easier?
    If you do not presently pay by DD, then you can use the online form. Otherwise you need to call them.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 21-01-2018 at 7:05 PM.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin