Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • WolfSong2000
    • By WolfSong2000 9th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    • 1,663Posts
    • 1,997Thanks
    WolfSong2000
    Returning Item purchased on Ebay
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:29 PM
    Returning Item purchased on Ebay 9th Jan 18 at 12:29 PM
    Hi guys - hoping you can help.

I purchased a bag on ebay. Sending back as not as described (condition is worse than buyer suggested).

Buyer has agreed to the return and also said that they will refund postage which is good of them but they've said a few things that have made me a little wary and I want to double check that it's all legit.

1. They want me to return to a different address to the one they originally used. They're saying that they sent the item from their work address and want it returned to their home address.

2. They're saying that as they're not a business seller that they can't print off their own return labels?

I don't use ebay a lot and also not au fait with returning items but something about this just seems "off" to me. Seller says they will pay upon receipt of items but as they seem to be wanting me to return outside of Ebay I'm a little nervous...also how can they reimburse more than I originally paid (taking into account return postage?).

I may just be being paranoid but is this legit or is there another way I should be going about this?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jan 18, 12:44 PM
    • 12,215 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:44 PM
    Have you opened a case? If not, you need to.

The case will give you the returns address - do not use any other address. The case will also ensure you get a prepaid label/postage for the return and a full refund.
    • Head The Ball
    • By Head The Ball 9th Jan 18, 12:44 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 8,604 Thanks
    Head The Ball
    Don't do what they ask as it is very likely that they won't refund you anything. I think they are probably attempting to cheat you. Even if they are honest there is no reason for you to take any risks.

Raise a SNAD case with eBay and precisely follow the correct process.

If you return to a different address eBay won't help you.
    Last edited by Head The Ball; 09-01-2018 at 12:47 PM.
    Every Village has its Idiot.

If you don't know who your Village Idiot is

it is probably you.
    • WolfSong2000
    • By WolfSong2000 9th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    WolfSong2000
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I have started a return via Ebay...it's this that the seller has responded to.

I will respond and advise that I will follow the procedure as directed by Ebay rather than circumventing as the supplier seems to be asking me to do!
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 12,215 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:11 PM
    Yes, it's the correct thing to do. If the seller has input the wrong address, that is their problem.

You get 8 days to reach a resolution with the seller by which time you can escalate to eBay if you haven't received a prepaid label to return. Do not close the case and don't fall for any stories the seller may give about not being able to refund without the case being closed.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 9th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 33,198 Posts
    • 39,145 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    I can email a return label direct to you from myhermes , not sure about others

Sounds like rubbish
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 9th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 12,215 Posts
    • 8,253 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:37 PM
    I can email a return label direct to you from myhermes , not sure about others

Sounds like rubbish
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Yes, it does sound like rubbish.

We can all buy a label addressed to ourselves, upload or email it to the buyer.
    • WolfSong2000
    • By WolfSong2000 13th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    WolfSong2000
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    • 13th Jan 18, 5:40 PM
    Well, finally got label issue resolved and sent item back to seller using the label provided. Seller accepted return and i had an email from Ebay saying i had been refunded, but checking my paypal account no refund has appeared. I will give it until Monday and then chase.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,081Posts Today

7,007Users online

Martin's Twitter