Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tried&Tested
    • By Tried&Tested 9th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Tried&Tested
    0 WOW
    Cruises on ship guided tour - anyone done one?
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    0 WOW
    Cruises on ship guided tour - anyone done one? 9th Jan 18 at 11:17 AM
    Saving towards a holiday but not sure what to do yet. Was starting to look at cruises as an option because I have never done one before. Seen that P&O do a guided cruise ship tour which you pay to spend a day at shore touring a ship (about 25 including a meal), getting to see what it's like on board. I tried ringing the number but it's constantly on hold saying they are busy then eventually goes to voicemail.

Has anyone ever done one of these on ship tours? Is it worth doing?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 9th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    tbh I wouldn't bother with one of these.

All our friends raved over cruises so we went on a long weekend one to see if we liked it ....and got hooked lol!

The guided tour won't give you an idea of what's it like on a sea day which I guess is the time that people find hardest.

P&O do a couple of these type of breaks.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Toucan_toucan
    • By Toucan_toucan 9th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Toucan_toucan
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    I've been on a few cruises, and would agree that what you're describing won't give you a sense of what it's like. As above, I'd suggest a one or two nighter to see whether you enjoy that.

Iglu Cruise are advertising a 2 nights with P&O in June for 187 per person on Ventura for example, departing from Southampton.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 9th Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    • 4,444 Posts
    • 38,865 Thanks
    Katiehound
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    Sometimes you can find one or two nights from UK when the ship is repositioning, then you catch a coach back to the port where you embarked.
    However I think you would be better to try a 3 (or more) night cruise and go somewhere such Amsterdam , France or Dublin
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • Carer
    • By Carer 9th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    Carer
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    I would suggest you go on a taster cruise. Staying in dock won't help you to know if you can stand the motion of the ship, or the feeling of being helplessly surrounded by water, or the constantly crowded cafeteria and swimming pools and being surrounded by people all the time.

We did one earlier this year, just 4 nights. We had fun but it was long enough to be certain that it's not for me. So glad I didn't book for a week or more.
    • Alikay
    • By Alikay 11th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 4,771 Posts
    • 12,876 Thanks
    Alikay
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:41 AM
    We did a tour of a big P&O cruiser as my only experience on a ship was a ferry crossing. It was around 25 per person and the meal was lovely. I got a good idea of the size and layout, but not the ambience as the ship was being blitzed by cleaning teams and prepared for 4000 passengers arriving on-board in next few hours! We decided to go to Southampton anyway to visit friends, so made the tour part of a mini-break. We enjoyed it and booked a cruise a few days later ( and they deducted cost of the visit from our cruise price).
    • BarryBlue
    • By BarryBlue 14th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 10,761 Thanks
    BarryBlue
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    A friend of mine did a ship's tour a couple of years ago on a P&O ship, may have been Azura. I was shocked at the cost, around 75. He said it was excellent though, and you get all sorts of souvenirs of the event. Not something I would do at that sort of price.

Just about to fly out later today for 3 weeks in the Far East, including 2 weeks on a Celebrity ship. Never done Celebrity before so will approach it with interest.
    We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night
    • Raymondo111
    • By Raymondo111 14th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Raymondo111
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    Having cruised on P & O, Princess and Celebrity I have to say that Celebrity is the best so far, they all have different feels and costs of drinks etc are far more expensive on the American Lines unless of course you have a drinks package.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 14th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 438 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 14th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    • 14th Jan 18, 4:50 PM
    A friend of mine did a ship's tour a couple of years ago on a P&O ship, may have been Azura. I was shocked at the cost, around 75.
    Were they cruising onboard Azura at the time ?

I don't think that's the type of tour that T&T is talking about - I'm thinking it's more like "taste it and see if you like it" look around a ship in dock, with explanation of a typical day at sea etc. ?

The best way forward really is to book a short cruise and experience what's it like onboard.

For several years 'er indoors was keen to go cruising and I was less enthusiastic - however after our first experience in 2009 I was good to go again as soon as possible - our next one will be number 15, roll on the summer !!!
    • travellerboy
    • By travellerboy 15th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    travellerboy
    Having cruised on P & O, Princess and Celebrity I have to say that Celebrity is the best so far, they all have different feels and costs of drinks etc are far more expensive on the American Lines unless of course you have a drinks package.
    Originally posted by Raymondo111
    Total agree, Celebrity is far and away better than P&O. Most of Celebrity deals include the drinks package so its really ALL INCLUSIVE and Tips are not compulsory. P&O is too much like Butlins at sea - avoid like the plague.
    • mickey234
    • By mickey234 15th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    mickey234
    If you want a taster, for a few days then P&O will give you that opportunity. Then when you do the real holiday choose Celebrity you will then see why most people say Celebrity is the best Mass market cruiseline. P&O never win "Best of Anything", they are a second class cruise line. If you are tempted by P&O prices wait until the last minute as prices are always slashed to fill the seats.
    • Tried&Tested
    • By Tried&Tested 16th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Tried&Tested
    Thanks for all your comments. Will start to have a look at booking a short break instead of paying for a day on board at shore.
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 16th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 3,694 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Thanks for all your comments. Will start to have a look at booking a short break instead of paying for a day on board at shore.
    Originally posted by Tried&Tested

If you do decide to go on one come back for any hints and tips to do the ports in an mse way.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • BarryBlue
    • By BarryBlue 11th Feb 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 10,761 Thanks
    BarryBlue
    Originally posted by Raymondo111
    Well, having just spent two weeks on a Celebrity ship in the Far East, our conclusion is that Celebrity are nowhere near as good a product as either P&O or Princess. Celebrity fall short in many areas in our experience, although they certainly lead the way in what they charge for drinks, excursions etc.

The ship was not well maintained and many fellow passengers were of the same opinion. We also had a number of problems with the service, including the couldn't-care-less cabin steward and quite a few restaurant staff. I believe the staff thought that they get their gratuities anyway, so do just enough. This was the first time in more than 25 cruises that we have felt unable to tip the staff, but in truth their efforts just didn't warrant it.
    We're gonna be alright, dancin' on a Saturday night
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

794Posts Today

7,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Today's twitter poll: Should cannabis be legalised, for medical (via prescription) use, and/or adult's recreational use?

• Follow Martin