Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 9th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 4,584Posts
    • 5,907Thanks
    jack_pott
    Desktop Shortcuts
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    Desktop Shortcuts 9th Jan 18 at 11:08 AM
    Windows 7:

A couple of days ago I booted up and found that about half a dozen Excel shortcuts had disappeared from the desktop at random. I set about replacing them, but when I was about half way through it got more bizarre still.

I right clicked the next file and then "Create Shortcut", but no shortcut appeared in the folder. Several repeats were all the same. I then typed "shortcut" in the search window and there they were, but when I right clicked "Open file location" they disappeared again. When I clicked on the search window a second time, instead of "shortcut" being at the top of the list, the most recent search keyword was listed as "Fred Lewsey" (if you know who he is, that's more than I do). I managed to finish off by doing another search then dragging them across onto the desktop from there.

It all seems to work fine again this morning, so unless it becomes a regular occurrence it's not a problem, but I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
Page 1
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 9th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 5,201 Posts
    • 2,982 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:01 PM
    It might be worth deleting your Icon Cache and letting Windows recreate it. One method is found here.

(Microsoft has historically not been very good with desktop icons - perhaps that's why tiles have been inflicted on us?!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

2,190Users online

Martin's Twitter