Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 2,749Posts
    • 1,634Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    Another W7 update tale of woe
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    Another W7 update tale of woe 9th Jan 18 at 10:25 AM
    Today was the monthly roll-up (whatever that is) for Windows 7. As usual, I just allowed it to happen and then went for a restart. Normal process, shut-down, configuring 30%, shut-down/restart, log-in, configuration then wait, wait, wait, finally a box "updating personalized (why can't they use English!!!) desktop settings"

Taking a long time so had cup of tea, still waiting so forced shut-down and restart, same dialogue box, so did a cold boot, same dialogue box, so just left it and eventually 20 minutes later, normal desktop appears. It doesn't appear to have been updated or changed. Any ideas anyone? [Apart from; Change to W10, ditch windows and install Linux]
Page 1
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 9th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 1,341 Posts
    • 788 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    [QUOTE=Le_Kirk;73687731]"updating personalized (why can't they use English!!!) desktop settings"/QUOTE]
    Personalized is a perfectly valid English spelling. Just because in the UK we tend to use s instead of the z doesn't mean it is wrong. The OED prefers the z spelling BTW.
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 9th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:54 AM
    I'm guessing you may just have applied the fix for KB4056894 (check Windows Update History to see). This is a VERY LARGE patch, to address some of the issues around the Meltdown problem for Intel CPUs.

It updates very many modules of the Windows 7 OS - so a long time to install, and some unusual install behaviour may be expected.

Personally, I'm waiting a couple of weeks before applying it, because of its huge impact and because there will probably be issues that early patch adopters will find. As far as I understand it, there are no "exploits" - that is, malware, that uses Meltdown.......... Yet.
    Last edited by Spelunthus; 09-01-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:08 PM
    "updating personalized (why can't they use English!!!) desktop settings"
    Originally posted by Le_Kirk
    Personalized is a perfectly valid English spelling. Just because in the UK we tend to use s instead of the z doesn't mean it is wrong. The OED prefers the z spelling BTW.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    Noted. I am old zchool and prefer the uze of "s" Inzert Icon of tongue in cheek!
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 1,634 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:18 PM
    I'm guessing you may just have applied the fix for KB4056894 ........
    Originally posted by Spelunthus
    Indeed it was. I did think it might have something to do with the recent revelation about Intel/AMD but the update was actually quite small and installed quite quickly. It was afterwards when the excrement hit the extractor. I would have thought something as important as this (at least it is reported as important) would not just have been contained within the Monthly Quality Roll-up but would have had an update all to itself. Further research (now that I have the KB ID shows BSOD's reported all over the place, so not just me then. TBF I didn't have a BSOD, it was black with a non-functioning dialogue box.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,574Users online

Martin's Twitter