Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bender000
    • By Bender000 9th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 45Posts
    • 27Thanks
    Bender000
    PPI Refused!
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    PPI Refused! 9th Jan 18 at 10:08 AM
    Hi,

Back in cira 2000 I had something called payment protection insurance (or something like that) via Scottish Provident. This was for a mortgage I had with the Woolwich.

I have put in a clain to Scottish Provident but they have replied saying 'our policies do not have PPI. we do not have credit agreements. our benefits are chosen at outset and underwritten to ensure a claimable event'.

Any advice as to the next step appreciated.

Thanks!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 9th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 17,281 Posts
    • 18,391 Thanks
    zx81
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    If you didn't have PPI, you can't complain about it.
    • Bender000
    • By Bender000 9th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Bender000
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    From Wikipedia:

"Payment protection insurance (PPI), also known as credit insurance, credit protection insurance, or loan repayment insurance, is an insurance product that enables consumers to ensure repayment of credit if the borrower dies, becomes ill or disabled, loses a job, or faces other circumstances that may prevent them from earning income to service the debt. "

This is exactly what I had, something to ensure repayment in case of job loss...
    • brettcta
    • By brettcta 9th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 3,528 Posts
    • 3,313 Thanks
    brettcta
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    I've never had an accident at work - who do i complain to?
    helpful tips
    it's spelt d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y
    there - 'in or at that place'
    their - 'owned by them'
    they're - 'they are'
    it's bought not brought (i just bought my chicken a suit from that new shop for 6.34)
    • Bender000
    • By Bender000 9th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    Bender000
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:41 AM
    I did have it.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 93,034 Posts
    • 60,425 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    Scottish Provident is a life assurance company. The offer life assurance, critical illness and income protection. Not PPI. PPI is issued by general insurance companies.

Any advice as to the next step appreciated.
    Dont assume every insurance is PPI. Life assurance is not PPI. Car insurance is not PPI. Home insurance is not PPI. Only PPi is PPI
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 20,466 Posts
    • 11,345 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    I did have it.
    Originally posted by Bender000
    Then you'll obviously need to prove this with comprehensive documentary evidence from your own archive. Without such evidence, I fear your "complaint" is over before it's started.

Since Scottish Provident provide only Life Assurance, Critical Illness and Income Protection, is it possible you've made a mistake over who actually sold you this alleged "PPI"?

The only other possibility is you are confusing Income Protection with Payment Protection..
    • antrobus
    • By antrobus 9th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 22,332 Thanks
    antrobus
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    Hi,

Back in cira 2000 I had something called payment protection insurance (or something like that) via Scottish Provident. This was for a mortgage I had with the Woolwich....
    Originally posted by Bender000
    I see; "something like that". Perhaps you had a life insurance product from Scottish Provident with waiver of premium?

But that's not PPI.

You can, of course, complain about the sale of any financial product. What exactly is your complaint?
    • Deewm76
    • By Deewm76 10th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Deewm76
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:59 AM
    I see; "something like that". Perhaps you had a life insurance product from Scottish Provident with waiver of premium.

I completely agree with your statement.

Waiver of premium benefit and/or Income protection policies are often confused with PPI. I have a very good understanding of the Life insurance market (having worked in this industry for years) and these products (to my knowledge) are very good/worthwhile as they are usually sold via an IFA.
    • Deewm76
    • By Deewm76 10th Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Deewm76
    This is exactly what I had, something to ensure repayment in case of job loss.

Repayment of what exactly????If your referring to your mortgage repayments then this sounds like an income protection or a family protection plan. I think you should call the product provider to clarify what policy you have but I think you are confusing PPI with Life/Mortgage products (usually taken out alongside a new mortgage).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,909Posts Today

6,740Users online

Martin's Twitter