Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 9th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    • 6,693Posts
    • 19,570Thanks
    Doc N
    Switching from shares to something 'safer' within an ISA?
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:49 AM
    Switching from shares to something 'safer' within an ISA? 9th Jan 18 at 9:49 AM
    I have a Hargreaves Lansdown ISA, currently fully invested in an investment trust (Alliance Trust PLC).

The stock market does look a little overblown at the moment (just one viewpoint, of course) and I'm considering moving some of it into something - for want of a better word - 'safer'.

Any suggestions as to how best to do this within the HL ISA wrapper - keeping the fees down too?
Page 1
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 9th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 2,591 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    Alexland
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:09 AM
    Obviously bonds, property, gold, equity hedging, etc.

No fees with HL for holding cash as a proportion of your portfolio while fundamentals look streched. Cash would give benefit if markets drop and you rebalance (possibly reducing your cash proportion at the same time). On my workplace pension I even get a modest return after fees on a cash fund. Overall my pensions and savings/ISAs are about 10% cash at the moment similar to the L&G MI funds.

I see the benefits of holding a fixed and almost totally invested allocation (similar to the VLS or HSBC GS funds) but prefer the approach of managing risk across the economic cycle as it has the potential to reduce volatility and the lack of long term return by holding cash will hopefully be offset by the accelerated benefits from rebalancing.

Alex.
    Last edited by Alexland; 09-01-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,901Posts Today

6,709Users online

Martin's Twitter