Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 9th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    • 10,657Posts
    • 19,999Thanks
    Pennywise
    Are private hearing aids better than NHS?
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:47 AM
    Are private hearing aids better than NHS? 9th Jan 18 at 9:47 AM
    I've had NHS hearing aids now for a year. I've been back to audiology dept several times as they're just not right. In a social setting, i.e. meeting, party, etc., they're completely useless as all they do is amplify the background noise meaning I still can't hear people talking. In fact, over Christmas, I found I could hear better without them. They're fine on, say, a country walk, as they amplify bird tweets etc.

Just wondering whether it's because the NHS ones are poor quality, and whether I'd have a better outcome if I got some privately - they're expensive, starting at 495. I don't want to fork out that kind of money if they're going to be similar to the NHS ones.

Anyone got any guidance or experience in moving from NHS to private?
Page 2
    • missile
    • By missile 11th Oct 18, 12:38 PM
    • 9,752 Posts
    • 4,897 Thanks
    missile
    I suspect the service provided may depend on where you live? NHS post code lottery.

My wife feels her private aids are much better and more comfortable to wear that those provided to her by NHS.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 11th Oct 18, 12:56 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 7,396 Thanks
    Ilona
    I have been wearing an NHS hearing aid for years, been changed a couple of times for a newer one. I have recently had a hearing test, a mould made of my ear, and a brand spanking new one issued to me. It's fantastic. When out walking I can hear noises a long way off. They are being improved all the time, the latest ones are brilliant. Can't fault it. Free batteries from the health centre across the road, make an appointment at audiology at the hospital if I need to see someone. No need to pay privately.

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 11th Oct 18, 4:51 PM
    • 1,219 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Archergirl
    The batteries may be free to you, but they are not free, the NHS has to pay for them....just saying.
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 11th Oct 18, 6:54 PM
    • 3,220 Posts
    • 3,342 Thanks
    LadyDee
    The batteries may be free to you, but they are not free, the NHS has to pay for them....just saying.
    Originally posted by Archergirl
    Well, fancy that! And where do you think the money to run the NHS comes from? That's right - me, from over 50 years of paying NI contributions and everybody else who has paid all their working lives.

Just saying.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 12th Oct 18, 8:22 AM
    • 24,955 Posts
    • 65,230 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I have been wearing an NHS hearing aid for years, been changed a couple of times for a newer one. I have recently had a hearing test, a mould made of my ear, and a brand spanking new one issued to me. It's fantastic. When out walking I can hear noises a long way off. They are being improved all the time, the latest ones are brilliant. Can't fault it. Free batteries from the health centre across the road, make an appointment at audiology at the hospital if I need to see someone. No need to pay privately.

ilona
    Originally posted by Ilona

That's the problem with mine. I can hear things and people down the road, but not the person walking with me.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 13th Oct 18, 1:20 PM
    • 2,157 Posts
    • 7,396 Thanks
    Ilona
    Originally posted by Archergirl
    Cheeky beggar. What do you think I have been paying into for 45 years of my working life. Hardly ever used the NHS, one major, 2 minor operations, no long term health issues, fit and healthy at 69 because I eat the right foods and do plenty of exercise, and no medications don't need any. I think I am entitled to a hearing aid and batteries.

Just saying

ilona
    I love skip diving.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 13th Oct 18, 2:28 PM
    • 39,059 Posts
    • 35,953 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    That's the problem with mine. I can hear things and people down the road, but not the person walking with me.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I think that should be solvable - or at least improvable - with adjustment!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,321Posts Today

10,108Users online

Martin's Twitter