Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 1,448Posts
    • 15,442Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Problem after Windows 10 Update
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    Problem after Windows 10 Update 9th Jan 18 at 9:28 AM
    Hi Everyone

Earlier this morning my computer updated Windows 10. The update took over an hour.

Following this the computer won't start up.

It gets as far as a screen asking me to "Choose your keyboard layout". I then select 'United Kingdom'.

This then takes me to another blue screen with the following options:
    CONTINUE - Exit and continue to Windows Rollback.
    or
    Turn off your PC (I tried that and I just end up back here)
    or
    USE ANOTHER OPERATING SYSTEM - Continue with another installed version of Windows. (I tried this and the computer starts up again, and just takes me back to the "Choose your Keyboard Layout" screen again and I just end up back here.
    or
    TROUBLSHOOT - Reset your PC or see advanced options.
    (If I click on this I get 6 choices:-
    1. System Restore - I tried this and it takes me to Windows Rollback or Windows 10 on Volume 5 or Windows 10 on Volume 5. /I have tried all of these and Windows Rollback takes me back to the "Select Keyboard Layout" the two Windows 10 options just bring me back to the beginning.
    or
    System Image Recovery -this just takes me to the three options of Windows Roolback, Windows 10 Volume 5 or Windows 10 Valume 5
    or
    Start Up Repair - this just comes up as "Diagnosing your PC" and then says "startup Repair couldn't repair your PC".
    or
    Command Prompt - I clicked on this, and it looked beyond me, so I haven't touched it.
    or
    UEFI Firmware - Change settings in your PC's UEFI Firmware settings - change settings in your PC's UEFI firmware. As I don't understand this I haven't touched that either.
    or
    GO BACK TO PREVIOS VERSION -that brings me back to the three options of Windows Rollback, Windows 10 Volume 5 or Windows 10 Volume 5.

I am really stuck, this is beyond me, and help would be appreciated.
    Thank you
    HH
Page 1
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 9th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    DO you know if it's an AMD Athlon CPU?

Windows 10 WARNING: Some users unable to boot PCs after emergency Meltdown-Spectre patch

To remove the update on a system that’s getting the BSOD, you need to enter the “Repair Your Computer” screen on startup (either by pressing F8 or the corresponding key depending on device manufacturer), open a command prompt window and enter the following two commands one by one (credits for this workaround go to reddit user zip369):

Code:
    dir d:
    dism /image:d:\ /remove-package /packagename:Package_for_RollupFix~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~7601.24002.1.4 /norestart
    Last edited by Debbie Savard; 09-01-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    • Le_Kirk
    • By Le_Kirk 9th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 2,749 Posts
    • 1,633 Thanks
    Le_Kirk
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    Saw this thread and thought it would be same as mine but completely different and worse. I, at least, have a working PC again.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 15,442 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:38 AM
    No, it's a Pentium quad core. The pc is 5 years old though. I think I will replace it with a new laptop but need to try and access some windows/excel documents.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 9th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    No, it's a Pentium quad core. The pc is 5 years old though. I think I will replace it with a new laptop but need to try and access some windows/excel documents.
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Can retrieve this way; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Hard-Drive-Power-Supply-Adapter-USB-2-0-to-SATA-IDE-Cable-Converters-Transfer-/172917775052

and then perhaps run a clean install.

What make and model the PC?
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 9th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 3,570 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:36 PM
    Originally posted by Hollyharvey
    Rollback then - your first option - Exit and continue to Windows Rollback. Then when working, make a copy of the files you need (no backup?); To try the upgrade again, do it from media (ask again here if you make it that far).
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 15,442 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:01 PM
    Rollback then - your first option - Exit and continue to Windows Rollback. Then when working, make a copy of the files you need (no backup?); To try the upgrade again, do it from media (ask again here if you make it that far).
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Every time I tried to Rollback it just went to the "select keyboard" option, it wouldn't go any further.

I do have a backup on an external hard drive, but I have to be honest and admit that I hadn't backed up since the beginning of December. No excuse other than 'didn't get around to it'. I up until then I always backed up every Saturday and Wednesday. I shall make certain that I always do it without fail from now on, I have certainly learnt the hard way what can happen if you are lax with backing up.

However, I gave up and phoned someone who sorts out computers for a living. He was recommended by a neighbour and by someone else I know. He came around but couldn't get it to start. He said that he has seen/sorted a number of computers that wouldn't start after this update but not one quite like this.

He copied all of my files over to my laptop for me so I haven't lost anything important. He thinks it may end up needing a clean install of Windows 10.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 1,448 Posts
    • 15,442 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    Can retrieve this way; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Hard-Drive-Power-Supply-Adapter-USB-2-0-to-SATA-IDE-Cable-Converters-Transfer-/172917775052

and then perhaps run a clean install.

What make and model the PC?
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Thank you for responding and your help. I have had someone who sorts computer problems out to look at it and he has copied all of my files over to this laptop and has taken the pc away to sort out.
    • ravidadhich1
    • By ravidadhich1 27th May 18, 9:57 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ravidadhich1
    • 27th May 18, 9:57 AM
    Fix
    • 27th May 18, 9:57 AM
    hi,

did your PC get fixed ? could you share how ?
    I am facing same issue.
    • ravidadhich1
    • By ravidadhich1 27th May 18, 10:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ravidadhich1
    Fix
    Can you tell me the fix ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

884Posts Today

6,496Users online

Martin's Twitter