Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 9th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 389Posts
    • 262Thanks
    bartelbe
    Praise for ebay
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    Praise for ebay 9th Jan 18 at 9:09 AM
    After kicking them in many posts, I thought I would be nice to them.

Needed an item, very small, could easily fit in a letter. Went to sellers own site, expecting it to to be cheaper direct. No ebay fees for them to pay.

The sellers postage on their own site was twice the items value, it was enough to send a medium sized parcel, let alone something about the size of a 2p coin.

I then found the same seller on ebay, postage costs half what they were on the sellers own site, but item cost the same.

That is why ebay put fees on postage and restricted postage costs. To stop non-sense ripoffs like this. It annoys me as a seller, but as a buyer it has made ebay postage more reasonable.

The daft thing is, I guarantee this seller has lost more sales from their own site, with people disgusted with their ripoff charges, then they have made from ripping off customers.
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 9th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 15,784 Posts
    • 21,682 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:31 AM
    To the contrary, I purchased a widget yesterday.

I initially searched for it on eBay, then looked at the sellers own website and others just as a comparison on price. It was 20% cheaper on their own website.

I have done this a few times now, and find I am using eBay to search for something then purchasing through the seller's own site.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 9th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    Pressure on prices due to competition is more likely to be the reason for lower prices on eBay. As has been said ad nausium, it makes no odds whether the costs are on the postage or the item, the company still has over heads and running costs.
    The company is more likely to face issues such as cost of promoting their web site (as goo gle is no longer a search engine as such but sends traffic to the highest bidder) as opposed to eBay costs.
    The idea that eBay setting cost limits on postage and therefore a company operates at a lower profit margin because of that is a bit ridiculous.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • bartelbe
    • By bartelbe 9th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 389 Posts
    • 262 Thanks
    bartelbe
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:14 PM
    Pressure on prices due to competition is more likely to be the reason for lower prices on eBay. As has been said ad nausium, it makes no odds whether the costs are on the postage or the item, the company still has over heads and running costs.
    The company is more likely to face issues such as cost of promoting their web site (as goo gle is no longer a search engine as such but sends traffic to the highest bidder) as opposed to eBay costs.
    The idea that eBay setting cost limits on postage and therefore a company operates at a lower profit margin because of that is a bit ridiculous.
    The problem with your argument is, in my experience, sellers try to hide the postage cost till you get to checkout on their own site. If the postage plus price was clearly shown, no problem.

However when the postage is a hidden charge, behind a couple of links and it turns out to be ridiculously high. Far more than sending the item should cost, it feels like a scam. Low price to trick you into buying.

If you can only sell at a higher price, then list the high price, don't try to hide it.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 27,218 Posts
    • 10,964 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    That is why ebay put fees on postage and restricted postage costs.
    Ebay put fees on postage because they were losing money on all those 99p sales with 99.99 postage. So they slap their charges on the full price inc p&p.

Restricted postage costs? Are you sure? Just done a test listing and to sell and post something smaller than a 2p coin was 4.99 for the item and 47.99 p&p. Ebay had no issues with that.

Possible if you buy from the website you get something that you do not with ebay?

Some sections of ebay are just flooded and its hard to compete.

Turned to Amazon and other sites several times because a category was awash with thousands of identical listings from a couple of sellers, sometimes the same company with different usernames.

That bugs me.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 10th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:13 AM
    While the identical listings are annoying, unless you are really willing to have loads of accounts, each time your listing appears on a screen in front of someone, that's one "offering" (can't thing of the official word), and you only get so many of these. So sellers adding huge numbers of product lines that don't sell are just removing exposure from their core items.

This is why that if you offer products across several different categories or typical searches, when one of them becomes swamped with either genuine competitors or these duplicate listings, your other items in different categories will take off as you get given more exposures on those.
    Last edited by ballisticbrian; 10-01-2018 at 8:16 AM.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 10th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:37 AM
    I don't really quite get what you are praising Ebay for? Sellers have always price differently per outlet.

It's a bit like praising the Moon because the tide has just gone out.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 11th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    • 831 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    vacheron
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:06 AM
    I tend to find the total price from the same seller is usually cheaper on eBay, and also Amazon.

I ordered some replacement filament Christmas tree bulbs last week.

They were available on their company website for 3.95 per pack with 5 P&P.
    Total: 20.80

Meanwhile the same seller on Amazon was selling a bundle of 4 packs for 7.99 with 2.95 postage.
    Total: 10.94
    The rich buy assets.
    The poor only have expenses.
    The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 11th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:40 AM
    I had a quick look but can't see it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com_controversies

however I do recall something about Amazon having to retract after demanding sellers don't offer the same marketplace products cheaper on their own sites. Does anyone recall this?
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 27,218 Posts
    • 10,964 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    Here is one seller, 199 identical Hankook Type 063 car batteries.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?epid=2020045526&_ssn=batterymegauk&hash=ite m3f6c4827fa%3Ag%3AWIkAAOSwttVaSLmU&item=2723996078 02&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=063&_sop=15

466 listings for Type 063 batteries, with possibly 8 or 9 unique items.

This seller has 42,000+ listings, how many are unique items?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • RFW
    • By RFW 11th Jan 18, 10:11 PM
    • 8,714 Posts
    • 5,075 Thanks
    RFW

however I do recall something about Amazon having to retract after demanding sellers don't offer the same marketplace products cheaper on their own sites. Does anyone recall this?
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    They dropped it just over 3 years ago I think. Not certain but I think the EU stopped it, it may still be in effect in the US.

As far as pricing goes it's always worth checking both Amazon and Ebay. Amazon prices tend to fluctuate more.

I have a lot of items on Ebay sold by third parties who are essentially dropshipping items I sell on Amazon. Those will be around two thirds higher than the price on Amazon.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 12th Jan 18, 8:24 AM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    bxboards
    I had a quick look but can't see it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon.com_controversies

Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Yes - their terms and conditions were illegal and considered 'price fixing'.

Quite amazed they thought they would get away with that! They called the rule 'price parity' and said marketplace sellers were not allowed to sell cheaper on alternative venues.
    • Gary123456790
    • By Gary123456790 12th Jan 18, 10:20 AM
    • 514 Posts
    • 335 Thanks
    Gary123456790
    Here is one seller, 199 identical Hankook Type 063 car batteries.
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    This is what makes it really difficult to find what you actually want on ebay. Car parts is probably the worst, for example universal roof bars, with separate listings for every possible make and model of vehicle.

It should be a multi-variation listing really, but then again they are abused with one 99p item and the rest full value so you cant find what you want with those either!

Gary.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 3,398 Posts
    • 1,936 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    It should be a multi-variation listing really, but then again they are abused with one 99p item and the rest full value so you cant find what you want with those either!

eBay are really hot on removing items reported where the cheap item bears hardly an y relation to the products in the multivariation. They get removed daily - make sure you use the correct header in the report, something like "Search manipulation".
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 12th Jan 18, 8:40 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 1,131 Thanks
    bxboards
    This is what makes it really difficult to find what you actually want on ebay.

Gary.
    Originally posted by Gary123456790
    This happens a lot of Amazon too - sellers seem to be able to create new catalogue entries for generic items with impunity.

For example, a while ago I was looking for a MicroSD card - Amazon was flooded with 1000s of listings with the same Sandisk item, but listed as 'for iPhone' or 'for Samsung s5', literally 1000s of entries for the same item, just changing the 'for' to another phone.

Needless to say, I lost patience and bought somewhere else!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,047Posts Today

8,021Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin