Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Jan 18, 5:09 AM
    • 1,446Posts
    • 15,416Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Tuesday 9th January 2018
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 9th January 2018 9th Jan 18 at 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 8th January 2018

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 2
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Morning campers ( in my best Hi Di Hi voice )
    Well I made it back safely from the Cupboard of Doom, got Mr Fix It to reach the top shelves but had to dismiss his services as he wanted to put everything back....... Nooooo . Managed 3 bags for cs and 2 for the rubbish man. Kept thinking that after we go, I don't want DD to be lumbered with lots of stuff to dispose of, so decided it was time to let most of my childhood books go too, twas with a heavy heart though . ( Did keep a few back for the DGC )
    We aren't car hunting today as it's raining, for a change and it's 4 degrees, so will hopefully go tomorrow when supposedly the sun will be shining. Did however go to Al*i for a top up shop and was there and back in just over half an hour, as the shop was almost empty.
    So my plans today include a freezer inventory and a food cupboard one too. I didn't get round to the ironing yesterday so that's also penned in for today.
    NMLC I believe that sleep plays an important part in helping the brain and the body to heal, so perhaps that's what is happening to your Mum.
    TA I think that moving around the dust may make your cough worse
    Dumpling I agree with others about making a complaint, you shouldn't have to manage things by yourselves when help was promised.
    MaddieM sorry to hear about your neighbour. Although she had a long life it is still very sad.
    Specky spoke to Mr Fix It about your old car. He wonders if there is somewhere off the road ( someones drive perhaps ) where you can park it and then register it as S.O.R.N with the DVLA ?
    Nelski good luck with Mum today
    Holly thanks for the start but please try not to push your body too much, too soon.
    Karcher how are you doing today ? Glad to have given you a giggle.
    The hug bucket has been refilled this morn, so please help yourselves should you need or want some.
    Healing vibes to all the poorlies too.
    Last edited by nannywindow; 09-01-2018 at 12:23 PM.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Jan 18, 1:55 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    HollyHarvey,
    Thanks for starting the thread and thanks to everyone who has made the effort to post.

I woke up 7:45 a.m. coughing fit to bust & feeling like someone was using a grater on my throat!
    Dressing gown on & a blackcurrant Bee...ms within ten minutes. Hope it helps!

Mind you the potential illness has been a spur to get a move on. One kitchen cupboard emptied & to be sorted. Wheelie case, hold-all & carrier bag filled ready for first visit of the year to cs (on the bus oh joy of joys) Just about to get ready to go out to cs & then straight home for baking, soup & scone making & sorting of contents of emptied cupboard.

Positive & wellness vibes to all,

Mrs SD
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Success - cs delivery made - 1hr 20m round trip! Just sitting down with a coffee before getting on with the rest of my list.

Mrs SD
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Jan 18, 3:32 PM
    • 4,574 Posts
    • 41,247 Thanks
    Floss
    Judi could you paint it so it is less obtrusive?
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 9th Jan 18, 4:13 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 30,499 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Well done!

Any ideas as to what i can do to this clock to make it more 'bedroomy?'

Grump bought me this clock the weekend but refuses to get rid of the old one.

He wont stick it in the shed with the rest of the junk, ive retrieved it off the wardrobe where he slung it. Ive tried persuading him to have it put up on his side of the home office (i hate the thing) but he wants to put it up in the bedroom but not only does it not belong in a bedroom, it means that when i eventually replace the bedroom furniture it looks like i'll have to match it to the damned clock and i dont like old things.
    Originally posted by Judi
    Take a screwdriver to it's insides and tell him that he must have broken it putting it up on the wardrobe? Is there space in the hall for it? It looks more like a hall clock to me.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Jan 18, 4:30 PM
    • 16,244 Posts
    • 71,128 Thanks
    Judi
    Take a screwdriver to it's insides and tell him that he must have broken it putting it up on the wardrobe? Is there space in the hall for it? It looks more like a hall clock to me.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    it is a hall clock but our hall isnt suitable for it so its been stuck in the living room for 20+ years. At one time it did blend in with the colour scheme we had but now it sticks out like a sore thumb hence persuading him to buy the new clock but he wont let go of the old one. If i sabotage it he will still put it up. The more i argue the more he will dig his heels in. I wonder if he will let me paint it white.

He hates change unless he's instigated it himself.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Jan 18, 4:59 PM
    • 1,947 Posts
    • 15,721 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Nelski - I wish I could blame that!
    nannywindow - Thanks for checking, and something which I hadn't considered. The problem is, the finance company have to physically drive the car away and so, it would have to have an MOT. It seems one of those things which I need to suck up and do.
    Judi - Aside from painting, I'm at a loss.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 41,258 Thanks
    Gers
    Speky - can the finance company not bring a low loader for the old car so you can SORN it?

First day back and there was loads to deal with, challenging students being ultra challenging, miserable students being ultra uncommunicative, tons of emails and some lovely colleagues being very supportive. A right mixed bag!

I've had another portion of my over-salted chicken, only one more left for tomorrow.

Sorry Judi - I haven't got any suggestions for the clock that Grumpy would like and only a couple that you would.

It's not been as cold today, perhaps spring is creeping slowly up on us.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 12,453 Posts
    • 40,138 Thanks
    Nelski
    Judi could you paint it so it is less obtrusive?
    Originally posted by Floss
    That was my thought too Floss....you could paint it white Judi then crackle spray it .....very shabby chic or just bin it and put up his moans for a while
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 9th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    • 2,833 Posts
    • 30,499 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    it is a hall clock but our hall isnt suitable for it so its been stuck in the living room for 20+ years. At one time it did blend in with the colour scheme we had but now it sticks out like a sore thumb hence persuading him to buy the new clock but he wont let go of the old one. If i sabotage it he will still put it up. The more i argue the more he will dig his heels in. I wonder if he will let me paint it white.

He hates change unless he's instigated it himself.
    It's such a pity you don't mind Livewire so much any more. I'm sure it would be finished with if Livewire played with it by accident
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 3,877 Posts
    • 46,764 Thanks
    camelot1001
    That clock definitely needs to have an accident Judi!

Specky, can you take the car to the dealership before the MOT is due and they can collect it from there?

This afternoon has been a struggle, I'm so tired! Must find something to occupy myself with this evening so I can keep going until about 9.

Sounds like a mixed bag of a day for you Gers, sounds like a cosy wine and log burner evening would help.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Jan 18, 6:01 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 8,562 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    Well done!

Any ideas as to what i can do to this clock to make it more 'bedroomy?'

Grump bought me this clock the weekend but refuses to get rid of the old one.

He wont stick it in the shed with the rest of the junk, ive retrieved it off the wardrobe where he slung it. Ive tried persuading him to have it put up on his side of the home office (i hate the thing) but he wants to put it up in the bedroom but not only does it not belong in a bedroom, it means that when i eventually replace the bedroom furniture it looks like i'll have to match it to the damned clock and i dont like old things.
    Judi, have you or Grump got any friends who actually like the clock? Maybe it could be a gift?
    Otherwise I am at a loss.

Mrs SD
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 9th Jan 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,020 Posts
    • 20,741 Thanks
    snoozer
    I may be wrong but I thought SORN was to do with the road tax not MOT.
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 9th Jan 18, 6:37 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 10,334 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Snoozer your'e correct but if it's SORN it doesn't need an MOT because it's registered "off road".
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 16,244 Posts
    • 71,128 Thanks
    Judi
    Judi, have you or Grump got any friends who actually like the clock? Maybe it could be a gift?
    Otherwise I am at a loss.
    Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Other than faking woodworm im going to have to live with it.

Youngest is late home tonight.

Have a good night all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,955Posts Today

9,229Users online

Martin's Twitter