Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Jan 18, 5:09 AM
    • 1,454Posts
    • 15,512Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Tuesday 9th January 2018
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 9th January 2018 9th Jan 18 at 5:09 AM
    O/S Daily Monday 8th January 2018

This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 9th Jan 18, 5:16 AM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 15,512 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:16 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:16 AM
    Morning everyone

Sorry that you havenít been very well dumpling, good that you are on the mend now. Things sound more positive with Becky I hope that she continues to improve.

AOD take it easy, the cuts and graze from a fall can be really painful.

I hope the finger is a bit better today Judi.

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend in Berlin specky. A nice deserved treat after being unwell over Christmas and New Year.

Cranky hopefully your leg will continue to improve now.

TA sorry to hear that you are still feeling so unwell. If you find a nice convalescent home, preferably somewhere warm, I would like to come as well!

My cold has turned into the cough that a lot of you on here have been suffering from. Every time I fell asleep I woke up coughing during the night so have given up and got up. On the plus side the headache has gone for the first time in four days, so I must be getting a bit better.

I am going to venture out today, just up to the town for a couple of things from the supermarket. A neighbour would get a few things for me but Iím starting to get a bit fed up with being stuck in now and think that a short trip out will do me good.

Other than that I donít have any plans. I thought I would see how I feel when I get back.

Hugs to all of you that are unwell, and have problems/difficulties and those who feel sad/down at the moment. I hope that everyone feels better soon.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 9th Jan 18, 6:18 AM
    • 16,265 Posts
    • 71,243 Thanks
    Judi
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:18 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:18 AM
    Morning Hollyharvey and all,

i hope the finger is a bit better today Judi
    Much better thanks unless I knock it and I can cope with the finger ache.

Shouldnt have been worried about not sleeping as I was gone as soon as my head hit the pillow.

Nothing planned for my day other than the sty that needs cleaning out. Ive given up on Youngests room. If he cant be bothered, neither can I.

Onwards and forwards

Have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 9th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 3,090 Posts
    • 42,601 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:36 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Cold here but no frost.

DH and DS1 now up and getting ready for work, I will wake DS2 shortly.

Dinner last night was a bit disjointed, boys and myself had sausages, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, DH had a chicken and mushroom slice, chips and beans whilst I'd gone to the hospital. Not sure what we're having tonight but will find something I'm sure, I'll be going to the hospital again.

Mum wasn't so good last night, she slept the whole time we were there and didn't wake at all. She had been awake whilst she'd had visitors and had eaten a some lunch, although then had wanted to go back to bed and missed her dinner, so I'll see how she is tonight. Feel quite low that we couldn't get anything out of her, just her eyes flickered open once for a split second when my sister spoke to her, dad said they had done all the normal obs etc and hadn't said anything had changed.

Yesterday work was very busy, so that kept me occupied all day, hoping today will be the same.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 9th Jan 18, 6:40 AM
    • 1,644 Posts
    • 19,687 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:40 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:40 AM
    Morning all and thank you for the thread Hollyharvey.

I'm up, got a cup of tea and washing going round. Need some toast as was too tired to eat last night. My bruises are fine, not too bad other than one toe.

I'll be off to work once I've had some breakfast and a shower, but a short day today after yesterday. Paperwork this morning and a meeting in the early afternoon. It isn't exactly warm bit not the biting cold we had last night and hopefully not icy - it is too dark to tell so far but doesn't feel icy.

Hope everyone has a good day and that those who are unwell or worried have a better day today.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 9th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    • 3,882 Posts
    • 46,844 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:54 AM
    Morning All

Slept much better last night, think I'm adjusting!

Hope those with cuts, bumps and bruises heal quickly, there seem to have been a few accidents on here.

Cold and frosty again this morning but not as cold as yesterday, took me ages to get the car defrosted. Talking of cars, mine passed its MOT yesterday, so pleased with that.

Work was ok and passed pretty quickly, I think the children were pleased to be back (the parents definitely would have been!).

Last of the washing on the pulley, I'm not ironing any summer clothes, they can be put away in case we have some warm weather here this year.

Have a good day, take care. XX
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 9th Jan 18, 7:06 AM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 28,014 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:06 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:06 AM
    Morning all and thanks HOLLY for the early start. Get well soon. NMLC sorry your mum didn't seem so well last night.

No severe frost this morning but it looks a bit foggy as far as I can make out. Bah. Are we ever going to get a warm sunny day.

I think I can safely say I am at last feeling a little better day by day. Still a way to go but I feel I am on the home straight at last. An injection of energy wouldn't go amiss!

My soup stocks in the freezer are really depleted as it's what has kept me going through illness. This morning I am going to make a big batch of Pea & Ham and start a re-stock. Just got some cooking bacon out to defrost and there's some bendy celery and carrots in the fridge to use up. That will serve as lunch with a wrap and there's still some braising steak and mash left from yesterday which will be dinner tonight.

Not a lot else planned but I could do with throwing some washing in. I am getting quite good at turning a blind eye to the dust and other neglected jobs. They can wait till I feel better,

Have a good day folks if you can and ((HUGS)) for the many poorlies, injured, sad or worried who want them. Take care all xxx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • redruby
    • By redruby 9th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    • 6,695 Posts
    • 93,337 Thanks
    redruby
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:15 AM
    Morning all

Feels very cold here this morning although I don't think there is a frost, off to work for me its so quiet atm we are struggling with things to do at the moment there is only so much cake you can make or freeze ! and we are just not getting the customers atm.

Dinner tonight will be the chorizo creamy pasta thing which we didn't have the other night with salad and garlic bread.

OH has got up and put a wash on this morning so he will have to get that dried and put away tonight, and I need to have a sweep through downstairs.

So many poorly and injured on here atm, hugs to you all xx

Right I had better get on have good days all xx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 9th Jan 18, 7:43 AM
    • 2,836 Posts
    • 30,543 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:43 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:43 AM
    Good morning all,

Hollyharvey please be careful if you are going out. It took me two goes to get out of the house to the supermarket on day 10. I had planned to go to the sorting office then Asda but had to come in for a sit down after the sorting office which is at the top of our road and I went in the car.

nmlc I hope your mum is more responsive today. Hopefully her body was just helping her recover after all the stuff they've had her doing.

Today is another housework day here. Yesterday I did the freezer inventory (not so bad since I label everything properly these days) and cleaned downstairs. Today is the turn of upstairs, which probably isn't that bad but I feel better once the whole house is done.

aod I hope you have a warmer day than yesterday. There's no frost here this morning thank goodness but it's still cold.

TA I'm glad you're starting to feel a bit better. Soup making is on my hit list for Thursday.

Take care all of you
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 9th Jan 18, 7:52 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 19,831 Thanks
    dumpling
    Good morning everyone

It's not quite so cold here this morning and I have the tumble dryer going so the kitchen is warming up nicely. I have a little westie staying here at the moment. He has been living with my daughter while his owners take care of their other dog which unfortunately is going through cancer treatment. Anyway, my daughter had to go away for the night so asked me to keep an eye on him but I decided that it would be better if he came for a sleepover . He is absolutely gorgeous and I am a little bit in love with him to be honest. Max has taken to him as well to the point where they shared a bed last night and he let him play with his toys.

Phoebe is not doing so well at the moment. She didn't manage school yesterday and is going to stay home for the morning as well. She has a mock exam in the afternoon so she will hopefully go in for that. I don't know what to do for her. She will be 18 in a couple of months but has such crippling social anxiety that she can't cope with even the simple things like paying for a ticket on a bus or going into a shop and buying something over the counter. She has been having therapy with a lady at camhs for a while now but she doesn't seem any better and she will be kicked out of camhs when she turns 18 anyway.

Becky goes back into hospital tonight. This has been the best visit yet so I am hopeful she will be allowed home permanently soon. I am a bit cross with assertive outreach team though as they were supposed to come and visit her a few times while she has been at home but apart from a quick phonecall there has been no contact. I suppose if things had gone wrong I would have hopefully been able to get hold of them though. I was promised all sorts of support that hasn't materialised but as I said, we have been very fortunate in that we have been able to manage things ok.

Steve will be in charge of domestics tonight and I think he is going to make sausage, egg and chips for tea. I don't know what time I will get back from dropping Becky off but I have asked him to keep me back a couple of sausages .

Hugs to you nmlc, hope your mum makes a good recovery xx
    Hope everyone who is poorly or bumped and bruised feels a lot better soon xx

Hope you all have a great day whatever you are up to, take care xx

• TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 9th Jan 18, 8:12 AM
    • 4,027 Posts
    • 28,014 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela

Hollyharvey please be careful if you are going out. It took me two goes to get out of the house to the supermarket on day 10. I had planned to go to the sorting office then Asda but had to come in for a sit down after the sorting office which is at the top of our road and I went in the car.
    Originally posted by CRANKY40
    You are so right CRANKY, you don't realise just how much an illness has taken out of you until you venture outdoors for the first time. Mr TA dropped me outside Sainsbobs on Sunday morning and armed with my small trolley I meandered slowly round for the few bits I wanted.. By the time I got to the last aisle I felt as if my legs didn't belong to me. I couldn't believe how weak I felt. It's a horrible feeling.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • Gers
    • By Gers 9th Jan 18, 8:40 AM
    • 6,497 Posts
    • 41,361 Thanks
    Gers
    Good morning everyone.

Another cold and frosty start to the day and I have to go out for the first time since Saturday. Back to work for me for a two hour teaching session and one tomorrow. Iím really not looking forward to the Wednesday group as they are fairly horrible, still, only three more weeks of them until the end of the semester.

The new mattress makes the bed a bit higher than before. I slept well in it even though it didnít have the Ďmeí shaped dip in it.

Thereís plenty in the fridge so donít need any shopping. Washing all dry and dishwasher empty.

I wish you all a very happy and much better Tuesday.
    • Floss
    • By Floss 9th Jan 18, 8:43 AM
    • 4,591 Posts
    • 41,412 Thanks
    Floss
    Dumpling when your Becky goes back, maybe you could formally record that the promised help & visits didn't happen? I understand that you all managed ok without, but the whole point of the outreach support is to help ALL of you and if they are scrimping on Becky, they may be doing the same to other families who arent as able to cope as your tight-knit gang are. xx
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 9th Jan 18, 9:11 AM
    • 1,949 Posts
    • 15,759 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Good morning all,

Catching up on yesterdays post and it seems many of us are ill or sore in some way. I really hope you're all on the mend really very soon.

Football was cancelled last night due to frost. So i stayed late in work and then visited the SM, for some bits and bobs.

Not sure if I said, but I got a new car over the festive period. Not new new, but new to me. So I've to arrange a date for my finance company to collect my old car. My MOT runs out on the 12th of January, and they got in touch yesterday to say they earliest they can collect is the 18th. So I need to pay for an MOT for a car I'll never use. Very annoying, but needs must.

No plans this evening. Probably some ironing. Will endeavour to read more of my book too.

Oh, and I've got a coldsore. The joys.

HH - Have you got a cough bottle? I was drinking plenty of hot lemon and honey to soothe my throat.
    TA - Get a coffee/tea down you in the hope that helps. Glad you're feeling a bit better.
    Dumpling - Surely we needs pictures of this little chappy?
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 9th Jan 18, 9:46 AM
    • 285 Posts
    • 3,942 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Not so chilly here in Essex this morning Dolly has been walked and is now on neighbourhood watch along the top of the settee
    NMIC sorry to hear your mum wasn't so with it last night but hopefully she was just tired after physio and her visitors hoping you have a better visit today
    Dumpling sorry to hear you have been let down but great news on Beckys progress
    Today will be taking DS to the gym but no spends as i have a big expense week coming up DD2 graduates in London and we are all out for a celebratory lunch as well as it being DH birthday the same day and i need to pay for DD1 new blinds in her flat this is a part xmas pressie
    Dinner tonight is pie n mash bit boring but need to eat up from the freezer
    Hugs to all those with worries ,coughs ,colds ,trips, falls and those who just need one
    have a great day whatever you are up to
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 9th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 15,991 Posts
    • 135,717 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning chums another damp looking day ahead ,didn't sleep well last night ,unfortunately my bones and joints give my gyp when the weather is wet, one of the downsides of old age I'm afraid .

I shall be bright and sparky by lunchtime hopefully as I am taking my DGS Ben out to lunch He is off back to Uni tomorrow, so I always treat him to a good feed the day before he goes back. A good pot of strong coffee will get me going I expect.

DGS Danny who was hoping to go last Friday to the Virgin Islands on holiday from New York where he lives with his wife, has managed to get an alteration for the pair of them, and went to Mexico for a week instead ,at least he will get a bit of sun at least. I am hoping he might get the chance to meet up with my niece as she lives in Mexico City.

Right high time I was getting some of the coffee down my neck Have a good day chums and <hugs> to those who are in need

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 9th Jan 18, 10:12 AM
    • 12,457 Posts
    • 40,198 Thanks
    Nelski
    morning

Speky Who have you been kissing then

Sounds like the emergency room is getting quieter and everyone is finally on the mend.

Late posting today i have been up just doing some bits and pieces.
    got lots of work done yesterday which is good and i slept better so think things were buzzing round my head before.

had more turkey leftovers last night with a few roast potatoes released from the freezer and a big slaw salad. Sick of turkey now so no more for the rest of the week.

Mum day today so wish me luck. Going to pick up some goodies I ordered from next on the way home so at least I can look forward to that. Suspect most of it will be going back but hoping for a couple of gems. Did the same at M+S and everything went back bar a pair of pjs. Still its fun shopping in my front room

Need a couple of bits from Asda today not enough for a van delivery just some fresh stuff.

So thats my exciting day hope everyone elses is a little more newsworthy!
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 9th Jan 18, 10:13 AM
    • 2,075 Posts
    • 20,590 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((Hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Better nights sleep although it was 1am before I stopped reading, woke about 5am then then just before 8am.

The invalid has had his breakfast and is now courried down for a nap, will get him up for an hour this morning and then again this afternoon. No meds yesterday so they should come this morning. One thing is for sure, he is going to have to have one of those pick up things and I am going to have to dress him as far as shoes and socks etc are concerned, if he puts his head down he gets dizzy. Its very frustrating for both of us.

No news re the car, but I guess its a case of no news is good news....the garage will have had to order the light cluster and I guess its not going to be cheap.

I have to send OH's driving license back, now he has had this serious attack he will no longer be allowed to drive. I am also wondering if I can get his AA upped as I am going to have to do a lot more for him and I may need to pay a sitter to be with him if I have to go out.

Struggling with the low salt thing just now, looking at things like packet soup there is an awful lot of salt in a serving......so soup making skills are going to be severely tested.

I have a couple of muscle foods burgers I am going to cook one for him tonight with a few chips, he will have to eat his chips without salt, I can hear the moans now!!

Its a dull day here, a bit misty,cannot see the wind turbine on the hill.
    • maddiemay
    • By maddiemay 9th Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    • 3,499 Posts
    • 32,050 Thanks
    maddiemay
    Damp and misty here first thing (well first thing for me), but seems a little better now. OH is preparing to go cycling and meet up with the gang for lunch, I have visit to Osteopath this afternoon and may try going out earlier and going to the shops, but although there should be parking spaces I don't always feel able to take the route march from the far extremes of the car park

Sad news here is that our 94 year old neighbour died yesterday, she was a very active tiny little body, who at the beginning of the summer was still climbing up step ladders and pruning 8ft+ high conifers. Apart from cutting the lawns which her kind next door neighbour did for her, she did all her own gardening and house work, she was taken into hospital last Wednesday and died yesterday morning, not a bad end as things go, we will all miss her very much.

nmlc - hope there is better news of your mum today, Dumpling - I also think you should mention the lack of support that you have experienced.

Take care everyone and take it easy, these bugs really do knock the stuffing out of us.
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 9th Jan 18, 11:36 AM
    • 750 Posts
    • 8,643 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    HollyHarvey,
    Thanks for starting the thread and thanks to everyone who has made the effort to post.

I woke up 7:45 a.m. coughing fit to bust & feeling like someone was using a grater on my throat!
    Dressing gown on & a blackcurrant Bee...ms within ten minutes. Hope it helps!

Mind you the potential illness has been a spur to get a move on. One kitchen cupboard emptied & to be sorted. Wheelie case, hold-all & carrier bag filled ready for first visit of the year to cs (on the bus oh joy of joys) Just about to get ready to go out to cs & then straight home for baking, soup & scone making & sorting of contents of emptied cupboard.

Positive & wellness vibes to all,

Mrs SD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,269Posts Today

7,206Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin