Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • johntaylor1980
    • By johntaylor1980 8th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    johntaylor1980
    Solicitor trying to charge more money after sale
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:38 PM
    Solicitor trying to charge more money after sale 8th Jan 18 at 9:38 PM
    Hi,

I recently completed on a house purchase, all paid up then the solicitors contacts me last week saying the land registry fee is a transfer of part so are demanding an extra 135. Any advice on how I should deal with this?
    Last edited by johntaylor1980; 12-05-2018 at 2:57 PM.
Page 2
    • johntaylor1980
    • By johntaylor1980 9th Jan 18, 5:05 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    johntaylor1980
    Hi,

Thanks all for the replies, I have just checked the final completion statement and it says 135 for land registration which I have obviously paid. Surely this is the solicitors fault?
    • Tiglet2
    • By Tiglet2 9th Jan 18, 10:39 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    Tiglet2
    Prices for registration are based on the price the property sold for, for example if a property sold for 350,000, the Land Registry cost for this would be 135 for a normal "Transfer of Whole" by an electronic application.

However, if the solicitor has to make their application for registration by post, the cost is doubled to 270. If the application is a "Transfer of Part", this also will double the fee to 270. There are various fees listed on the Land Registry website for all kinds of variations. It is not apparent at the outset which is the correct fee for the property.

It would often be a fairly junior clerk who would provide the initial disbursement estimates. During the course of the transaction, these disbursements should be adjusted as and when new information comes to light. Sadly, this doesn't always happen and projections are sent out with the initial quote still listed. It might only be at the end of the transaction when the accounts department realise that there is a discrepancy and they have to work out where the discrepancy is. I think this is what happened to you. No, it's not very professional and you may have a case for complaint.

However the land registry fee is set by the government. If the solicitor does not have enough money on account to pay the land registry fee, then they do have to ask you to provide it. If you don't provide the shortfall, then your solicitor will not submit an application to register you as the new owner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,007Posts Today

8,358Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin