Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Possom
    • By Possom 8th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 401Posts
    • 15Thanks
    Possom
    Scheme for replacing lead water pipe?
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    Scheme for replacing lead water pipe? 8th Jan 18 at 8:59 PM
    My mains water from the main isolation tap in my house back out (presumably) to the street, is a lead pipe.

A plumber suggested to me, though he didn't know, that perhaps there might be some government scheme to replace this.

Would anyone happen to know if there is one in NI?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Possom; 08-01-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Page 1
    • KiwiCoop
    • By KiwiCoop 9th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    KiwiCoop
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:37 PM
    No scheme as such but NI Water will make the connection to the toby in the street from your boundary free of charge a few weeks after you lodge the application form. However you are responsible for everything on your side i.e. digging a trench, supplying & laying the blue pipe etc. Depending on what's involved in getting the new pipe from your own stopcock to the boundary, the cost/hassle may not make it viable unless your current water pressure is particularly poor (or you're overly worried about the whole lead thing).
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 9th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 1,061 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 5:38 PM
    No scheme as such but NI Water will make the connection to the toby in the street from your boundary free of charge a few weeks after you lodge the application form. However you are responsible for everything on your side i.e. digging a trench, supplying & laying the blue pipe etc. Depending on what's involved in getting the new pipe from your own stopcock to the boundary, the cost/hassle may not make it viable unless your current water pressure is particularly poor (or you're overly worried about the whole lead thing).
    Originally posted by KiwiCoop
    Indeed though it is a very easy job do do yourself. Yes the digging is hard work but I did it in my last house in order to get the water pressure from pathetic to very good!.
    • Possom
    • By Possom 9th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 401 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Possom
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    No scheme as such but NI Water will make the connection to the toby in the street from your boundary free of charge a few weeks after you lodge the application form.
    That would be a distance of 12 inches from my front gate.

(or you're overly worried about the whole lead thing).
    That was my concern. I presumed a lead water supply pipe was automatically hazardous and should be extracted.
    Last edited by Possom; 09-01-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

91Posts Today

2,284Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin