Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Thatsthespirit
    • By Thatsthespirit 8th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 84Posts
    • 72Thanks
    Thatsthespirit
    0 WOW
    Advice on travelling Australia
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    0 WOW
    Advice on travelling Australia 8th Jan 18 at 7:55 PM
    Me and my girlfriend are planning on travelling Australia later this year and were toying with what to do and how to plan it. After a bit of research and asking a few people we came up with this idea, but I'm just checking it's viable and whether or not we've gone too much or too little.
    • Fly to Perth where she has family (stop for approx. 1 month)
    • Fly Perth to Melbourne (not sure how long to stop)
    • Van hire Melbourne all the way up to Brisbaine or Cairns (again not sure how long to stretch this over)
    • Fly Bris/Cairnes home

Biggest issue is how long we were planning on spending travelling in the van and what sort of budget we'd be looking at. I appreciate there's a lot to see on that East Coast but we'd sort of cross that bridge once we've figured out what sort of timescale we have with the van.

Does this seem route seem viable or not?
Page 1
    • eamon
    • By eamon 8th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 1,606 Posts
    • 1,133 Thanks
    eamon
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    Something to consider is flying Perth to Cairns and then a one way rental to Melbourne, appears to be the reverse of the more popular driving routes and may be a better deal.
    Note: Oz is now an expensive country for UK tourists you will need plenty of money. There are numerous campervan rental firms so do your research for all the pros and cons.
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 8th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 729 Posts
    • 861 Thanks
    ibizafan
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    Tripadvisor Australia forums have a wealth of information, including trip reports, so I would make this your first port of call.
    • martinthebandit
    • By martinthebandit 8th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 3,519 Posts
    • 6,042 Thanks
    martinthebandit
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:01 PM
    If your plan is to go for several months one option you may want to price up is for GF!!!8217;s family in Perth to buy a van (you send them the money for it obviously) then do a road trip of all the places you want to visit and when you get done they can sell it for you.

If a van works out to expensive consider a car and tent.
    Politics -
    from the words Poli, meaning many
    and tics meaning blood sucking parasites

(thanks to Kinky Friedman (or Larry Hardman) for the quote}
    • Thatsthespirit
    • By Thatsthespirit 8th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Thatsthespirit
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    If your plan is to go for several months one option you may want to price up is for GFs family in Perth to buy a van (you send them the money for it obviously) then do a road trip of all the places you want to visit and when you get done they can sell it for you.

If a van works out to expensive consider a car and tent.
    Originally posted by martinthebandit
    Good idea, I'll bare this in my mind.

Not sure what sort of budget I should be looking at. Looking at around 3 months over there in total.
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 8th Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    • 2,925 Posts
    • 2,907 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:32 PM
    Id look into what you want to do in each area as a lot of stuff you can do in several areas (like dolphin kayaking as an example)

The other alternative is look into itenaries on Loka (I did a Loka pass and they've added more bits now too), contiki and the like to get ideas. But it is a very expensive country. I went this time 2 years ago when at times I were getting 2.1 to the pound, now I think it's 1.7 to the pound and I still spent loads.

Highly recommend the show on the Gold Coast (it's a full show, you start off on a ride, can't remember the name but it's on trip advisor) - might be called Dracula I think
    My targets to end 2018:
    1) To get down to 11 st 7lbs then treat to a safari. At start 17 stone 7 lbs: *61lbs lost* *30lbs to go*
    1st started SW16st13lbs tues11/7/17 - 38 weeks -53lbs
    2nd sw 14 st 12lbs Fri15/6/18 -> 0 weeks -0lbs
    2) to find new challenges
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 9th Jan 18, 7:52 AM
    • 14,164 Posts
    • 18,770 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:52 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:52 AM
    Good idea, I'll bare this in my mind.

Not sure what sort of budget I should be looking at. Looking at around 3 months over there in total.
    Originally posted by Thatsthespirit
    Three months would make visas easy. Plus, if I remember correctly, after three months you will need to apply for a local driving licence.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

1,839Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin