Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marytee
    • By marytee 8th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 24Posts
    • 2Thanks
    marytee
    Car choice advice please
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    Car choice advice please 8th Jan 18 at 6:56 PM
    Advice appreciated please

I have a Nissan Qashqai 63 plate (top spec) which I have loved, however, i wonder if it is time to trade in for a different car

Someone knocked my wing mirror off which cost 500 pounds to replace. The brake pads need replacing in a couple of thousand miles as does the cam belt I wonder if i should go for a more 'standard' car

I drive around 16K miles a year, motorway and general town driving. We buy any car have offered 8.2K for the car, I can add another 4K to this

I would appreciate advice about what might prove a good alternative please. I have been looking at Seat Leon diesel 17 plate.
    Thank you
Page 1
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 8th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 3,146 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:54 PM
    I reckon that's about 4 years old, with about 64K miles.

So far as I'm concerned, that's nearly new. I wouldn't consider replacing a car until at least 10 years or 100K miles. And even then, I'd only replace it if it has expensive problems.

And regular servicing and maintenance doesn't count as a "problem".
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 8th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 11,311 Posts
    • 6,481 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    Advice appreciated please

I have a Nissan Qashqai 63 plate (top spec) which I have loved, however, i wonder if it is time to trade in for a different car

Someone knocked my wing mirror off which cost 500 pounds to replace. The brake pads need replacing in a couple of thousand miles as does the cam belt I wonder if i should go for a more 'standard' car

I drive around 16K miles a year, motorway and general town driving. We buy any car have offered 8.2K for the car, I can add another 4K to this

I would appreciate advice about what might prove a good alternative please. I have been looking at Seat Leon diesel 17 plate.
    Thank you
    Originally posted by marytee
    How did the mirror get knocked off?
    Cam belt and brakes will cost a lot less than upgrading, the car is already well spec'd , you'd be hard pushed to get a similar spec'd different car for the 4k difference.
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 8th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 887 Thanks
    Jonesya
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    A cam belt change and brake pads are just service items, they're not a reason to change cars, unless the car is so ancient it isn't worth spending several hundred on. Which doesn't apply to anything with a 63 plate.

The wing mirror is just bad luck but again no reason to change cars.

If you want a new car then get a new car, but nothing you've described is a real reason for needing to change cars.
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 9th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 1,944 Posts
    • 2,724 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:08 AM
    The brake pads need replacing in a couple of thousand miles as does the cam belt I wonder if i should go for a more 'standard' car
    What's this mystical 'standard' car which doesn't need brake pads or a cambelt?
    • parking_question_chap
    • By parking_question_chap 9th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,628 Posts
    • 1,409 Thanks
    parking_question_chap
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:33 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 7:33 PM

Thank you
    Whats the budget?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,157Posts Today

5,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin