Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Juju1987
    • By Juju1987 8th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Juju1987
    Advice needed on accident that was not my fault
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:39 PM
    Advice needed on accident that was not my fault 8th Jan 18 at 5:39 PM
    Hello,

So today as I was exiting a round about a van driver stuck the front of his van out (from the right lane that was full of traffic) without putting a signal. He scratched the whole back passenger side. He was driving a company vehicle.
    The accident is not my fault but I donít want to claim on my insurance as I do not want to lose my no claim bonus and the minimum I have to pay as agreed on my policy would be £450 so more expensive that fixing it myself.
    The driverís company is calling me back tomorrow and are saying that claiming wonít affect my no claim bonus as itís not my fault but I donít think itís true. I donít want to call my insurance as Iíve seen on a post on here that they will record the incident anyway and that it will affect future premium.
    Iím a bit lost about what to do and would appreciate some help.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Page 1
    • loskie
    • By loskie 8th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 770 Thanks
    loskie
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    you have to at least notify your insurer to not do this is fraud.

Claim directly off the van owners insurance if they admit liability (which it sounds like) it will be easy.
    Your own NCB should not be affected and premiums not increase if you do this.
    • Juju1987
    • By Juju1987 8th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Juju1987
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:45 PM
    Thanks a lot.
    So should I call insurance today or wait to hear from the company?
    On a previous thread here someone said that they called their insurance and that they recorded it- well it was their fault in that case so I suppose this is different.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 35,908 Posts
    • 20,164 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    Well....... unfortunately any reported loss often affects future premiums irrespective of whether or not a claim is made.

In this case the OP should notify his own insurer about the incident for information only. Failing to do so breaches the policy conditions allowing them to cancel the policy.

And be aware it will go on his record as a loss which must be disclosed to other insurers approached for quotes in the future. Insurers usually ask for your history over the last 3,/5 years
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 8th Jan 18, 5:49 PM
    • 390 Posts
    • 843 Thanks
    pramsay13
    As loskie says you have to phone your own insurer and notify them.
    You will also have to declare it each time you renew car insurance for the next 5 years although it will be noted as a non-fault claim assuming the other party do admit liability.
    • Juju1987
    • By Juju1987 8th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Juju1987
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    Thanks a lot.
    So it!!!8217;s clear that I need to call my insurance.
    I just hope that it won!!!8217;t have a negative effect on my premium given that it was not my fault
    • Juju1987
    • By Juju1987 8th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Juju1987
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    Before calling my insurance should I wait for the company to call me back? I!!!8217;m asking that as they may be keen to not claim themselves and therefore calling my insurance and causing a note on my file that could cause me issue in the future seems silly.
    If you get agreement with the person then insurance don!!!8217;t need to be involved? Or is it legally required?
    • littleredhen
    • By littleredhen 8th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 3,080 Posts
    • 3,333 Thanks
    littleredhen
    • 8th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    You should always tell your insurance as op said your premiums will go up on renewal anyway (they always do) although your no claim bonus won't be affected
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesnít work unless itís open.

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Jan 18, 6:00 PM
    • 35,908 Posts
    • 20,164 Thanks
    Quentin
    It is a condition of your policy - check your policy wording.

So it's your call.

What will you do if the other side refuse to pay you privately or at all?

If you have to contact their insurer then you can expect them to record the issue
    • z1a
    • By z1a 8th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    z1a
    "So today as I was exiting a round about a van driver stuck the front of his van out (from the right lane that was full of traffic) without putting a signal. He scratched the whole back passenger side."

Sorry, can't visualise how this happened.
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 8th Jan 18, 6:02 PM
    • 35,908 Posts
    • 20,164 Thanks
    Quentin
    Thanks a lot.
    So itís clear that I need to call my insurance.
    I just hope that it wonít have a negative effect on my premium given that it was not my fault
    Originally posted by Juju1987
    You can find out now what difference it makes by doing dummy quotes online with and without the claim in your history
    • Juju1987
    • By Juju1987 8th Jan 18, 6:16 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Juju1987
    Z1a...
    It is a round about with 4 lanes.
    I was on the far left to exit. The lanes on the right where stopped by traffic/traffic lights. I suppose the van driver decided that he wanted to exit the round about and stuck the front of his van out without a signal just when I passed by which scratch the rear right side of my car.
    • Juju1987
    • By Juju1987 8th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Juju1987
    I will call my insurance and see what they say given that it could be a breach of contract not to call them.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 8th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 1,303 Thanks
    z1a
    z1a...
    It is a round about with 4 lanes.
    I was on the far left to exit. The lanes on the right where stopped by traffic/traffic lights. I suppose the van driver decided that he wanted to exit the round about and stuck the front of his van out without a signal just when i passed by which scratch the rear right side of my car.
    Originally posted by juju1987
    OK, so not passenger side, as in OP.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 8th Jan 18, 6:28 PM
    • 1,153 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    you have to at least notify your insurer to not do this is fraud.

Claim directly off the van owners insurance if they admit liability (which it sounds like) it will be easy.
    Your own NCB should not be affected and premiums not increase if you do this.
    Originally posted by loskie

If you say so.
    • lotteryman
    • By lotteryman 8th Jan 18, 6:41 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    lotteryman
    My daughter had a push cyclist crash into the car whilst stationery and eventually they claimed off the cyclist. It went down as a no fault claim on her insurance and she got back her no claims discount and her excess.

Therefore if you prove it is not your fault it goes down as a no fault claim on your insurance which will not affect your no claims in the longer term (although it may take a while to sort out)
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    cjdavies
    If you believe it's not your fault, tour NCB will not be affected.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Jan 18, 6:55 PM
    • 16,539 Posts
    • 41,758 Thanks
    elsien
    By the way, you are not a kept woman.
    Your husbands contribution over the years was financial. Your contribution was childcare, running the house and looking after parents. Without you doing that, he would have had to pay someone else to come in and do.
    Your contribution to house and home was just as valuable, just in a different way. So all marital assets are joint ones, the house the savings and the pension. It's not his money that he is kindly sharing with you.

So if you're both worried about how you're going to manage, then there's nothing stopping both of you working and building up the coffers a bit more.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Juju1987
    • By Juju1987 8th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Juju1987
    Z1a lol yh my bad... I thought ďpassengerĒ as was at the back!! I can see why you were confused!
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Jan 18, 7:08 PM
    • 3,357 Posts
    • 3,587 Thanks
    cjdavies
    By the way, you are not a kept woman.
    Your husbands contribution over the years was financial. Your contribution was childcare, running the house and looking after parents. Without you doing that, he would have had to pay someone else to come in and do.
    Your contribution to house and home was just as valuable, just in a different way. So all marital assets are joint ones, the house the savings and the pension. It's not his money that he is kindly sharing with you.

So if you're both worried about how you're going to manage, then there's nothing stopping both of you working and building up the coffers a bit more.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Wrong board?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

126Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LaraLewington: ...and mine suggested I'd achieved a lifelong ambition of being sawn in half by a magician - at our wedding. Wasn't. Don?

• We are working on it - I think BA has behaved awfully on this. Those flight were no obviously a glitch. It should? https://t.co/8pvtXtUEqi

• RT @thenicolabryant: Absolutely. We need mental health and financial health as advocated my @MartinSLewis , to be taught in schools. So muc?

• Follow Martin