Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chickabiddybex
    • By Chickabiddybex 8th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    • 1,299Posts
    • 1,607Thanks
    Chickabiddybex
    Pocket Money
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:19 PM
    Pocket Money 8th Jan 18 at 5:19 PM
    I read that the average pocket money for a 12-16 year old is £6.71 a week. [source]

It seems to have gone up a bit since I was younger but not a huge amount. What shocked me is people give their kids money for doing chores such as cleaning up after a pet which I had to do for free!

The other chores and amounts are:
    Cleaning the car: £2.54
    Mowing the lawn: £2.38
    Ironing: £2.19
    Sweeping the garden: £1.86
    Cleaning up after pets: £1.78

How much pocket money do you give your kids? And how much did you get when you were a kid?

Do you pay your kids for chores and if so how much?

How do you pay your kids? (Cash or digitally)

I was shocked to discover that kids these days often have pocket money cards and apps!
    You can read more about those on the original link above or here: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/cards-for-under-18s
    Last edited by Chickabiddybex; 10-01-2018 at 3:13 PM.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
Page 2
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Jan 18, 3:08 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Who pays you to run your household?
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    No one obviously that part of being a parent. But I want my kids to learn that work is rewarded and I canít send them down the coal mine...
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 9th Jan 18, 3:10 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Its not about working for free, it's about being a contributing member of the household in which they are part of. No one pays me to do the ironing, hoover, scrub the toilet etc.

I started getting pocket money at the age of 5 when I started school. Back then I could either afford a packet of stickers or some sweets. My dad would take me each week to the newsagent and let me choose which I wanted, on occasion he would buy me the item I couldn't afford (with a 'shhhh' don't tell mum) but that was always a treat and I never asked / expected it.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    Thatís fine, many people do get paid to do those things, theyíre called cleaners- not sure why you think their work isnít worthy of payment?

Each to their own.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Jan 18, 3:31 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    At that age (early 80s) it was 50p rising to £1. Nothing for chores.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • takman
    • By takman 9th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3,399 Posts
    • 2,998 Thanks
    takman
    The amounts are irrelevant now as time has passed..... but when they were teens I gave them monthly pocket money by direct debit so they learned to manage a bank account too.
    Originally posted by oystercatcher
    I can guarantee that you didn't
    • kerri gt
    • By kerri gt 9th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 7,120 Posts
    • 49,618 Thanks
    kerri gt
    Thatís fine, many people do get paid to do those things, theyíre called cleaners- not sure why you think their work isnít worthy of payment?

Each to their own.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Cleaners get paid for going into a property that is not their own to clean it - no one pays them to clean the home they live in.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Jan 18, 5:14 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    Originally posted by takman
    It does seem unlikely that the child(ren) would be a direct debit originators.
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 9th Jan 18, 6:23 PM
    • 1,824 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I never had pocket money, my parents just bought me what I wanted (within reason!). I think that was a mistake. I didn't value how hard it is to earn money.
    I give my 11 year old £40 a month. I find she is really responsible making sure her balance doesn't drop too low and she is more calculated when she makes purchases, looking for a bargain etc!
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 9th Jan 18, 6:42 PM
    • 1,901 Posts
    • 2,035 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Just out of interest, what age do parents start giving kids pocket money?

My two are both too young at the moment to even understand the concept of money and I have no idea when to expect them to be wanting their own money!
    Originally posted by AndyBSG
    I think I started getting pocket money when I was about 7, as my parents opened my first savings account at that age. Not that I was very good at saving it back then!
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 9th Jan 18, 6:52 PM
    • 4,282 Posts
    • 9,657 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I give my 11 year old £40 a month. I find she is really responsible making sure her balance doesn't drop too low and she is more calculated when she makes purchases, looking for a bargain etc!
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    I wasn't even getting 40p when I was 11!
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 10th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    NineDeuce

Each to their own.
    Why cant they do it out of kindness?
    • OnTheLadder
    • By OnTheLadder 10th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    OnTheLadder
    When growing up me and my sister got an amount equal to how old we were at the time. So when I was 10 I would get £10 a month, while my sister at age 7 would get £7 a month. My parents also paid our phone contracts. We were expected to help out with the household, while this was not directly related to our pocket money, my parents would threaten to/take it away if we had misbehaved.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Jan 18, 12:13 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Why cant they do it out of kindness?
    Originally posted by NineDeuce

Because that's not how I'm raising my kids? Without being funny you seem to think you get to tell me how I do that... you don't.

I want them to know that work is rewarded. They also learn about saving, budgeting and the value of time and property.

I don't want them getting money for nothing.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Cleaners get paid for going into a property that is not their own to clean it - no one pays them to clean the home they live in.
    Originally posted by kerri gt
    No obviously. But their labour is worth money.

So is my children's. It's not a lot, but if they do the assigned chores they get paid. If they don't, they don't get paid.
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 10th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,710 Posts
    • 4,348 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    Originally posted by takman
    OK silly mistake !!
    Post edited , with explanation for edit .
    • svain
    • By svain 10th Jan 18, 1:42 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    svain
    In our household we dont have chores ... The word is ridiculous in this day and age.

The kids are expected to tidy their room, put their washing in a basket and clear their own plates .... Everything else is down to us parents and i wouldnt generally ask the kids to do anything on a regular basis.

Pocket money from secondary school age to be about £5 a week but we wouldnt expect them to pay for anything whist with us.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Because that's not how I'm raising my kids? Without being funny you seem to think you get to tell me how I do that... you don't.

I want them to know that work is rewarded. They also learn about saving, budgeting and the value of time and property.

I don't want them getting money for nothing.
    Absolutely putting words into my mouth, dear. I havent told you to do anything. This is a discussion.

But it is staggering that while you preach about your kids learning about budgeting, you openly admit that teaching them kindness is not the way you want to raise them. In my opinion, kids should learn to be helpful without the inevitability of reward all the time. They see you running around the house cleaning for nothing but then get paid every time that they help you....

Not my style I am afraid, whatever your claims about the benefits of budgeting are. Kids inevitably receive monies throughout the year without being employees of their own household. Budgeting techniques can be learnt through many other examples.
    Last edited by NineDeuce; 10-01-2018 at 1:59 PM.
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 10th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,755 Posts
    • 6,702 Thanks
    ska lover
    The kids are expected to tidy their room, put their washing in a basket and clear their own plates .... Everything else is down to us parents and i wouldnt generally ask the kids to do anything on a regular basis.

Originally posted by svain

Do you think of how this will effect them? Sitting there watching whilst you run ragged?

It is not just about getting the jobs done, as we all know, its teaching them how to do them properly, how to run a home, how to cope when they move to Uni, they will know how to iron their own clothes, cook their own food etc

My friends husband came from a household where his parents did everything - and his expectation that the housework was not 'his business' resulted in divorce quite early on.

Household is a team, when kids are old enough, and able bodied enough to participate in that - they should - they have parents, NOT slaves. This is sending kids an awful message that they are superior to parents and all the dogsbody work should be done by the second class citizens of the household = the parents!

I never got pocket money as a kid but was expected to pull my weight at home. I did move out / leave home with a full understanding of how to cook many different meals, iron and wash my own clothes, and do basic DIY, whereas others were clueless of even how to change a bloody lightbulb

I must be right old fashioned, it shocks me to the core, that people are giving kids amounts like £40 per month - it really does. I am wondering are they buying their own clothes, lunches, out of it, or is it purely for extras? If so this is more than some working adults get spare each month lol
    Last edited by ska lover; 10-01-2018 at 2:26 PM.
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    Absolutely putting words into my mouth, dear. I havent told you to do anything. This is a discussion.

But it is staggering that while you preach about your kids learning about budgeting, you openly admit that teaching them kindness is not the way you want to raise them. In my opinion, kids should learn to be helpful without the inevitability of reward all the time. They see you running around the house cleaning for nothing but then get paid every time that they help you....

Not my style I am afraid, whatever your claims about the benefits of budgeting are. Kids inevitably receive monies throughout the year without being employees of their own household. Budgeting techniques can be learnt through many other examples.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    Yes it is a discussion, but you do seem a bit fixated and trying to get me to change my view point. (I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was making an observation on how I perceived your posts)

Teaching them about kindness doesn't mean working for free. Perhaps I've misrepresented, they aren't paid every time. Their daily pocket money is dependant on doing the assigned chores.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 10th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 766 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    Yes it is a discussion, but you do seem a bit fixated and trying to get me to change my view point. (I wasn't putting words in your mouth, I was making an observation on how I perceived your posts)

Teaching them about kindness doesn't mean working for free. Perhaps I've misrepresented, they aren't paid every time. Their daily pocket money is dependant on doing the assigned chores.
    If someone has a strong view on something then they can labour the point. However, it seems you are more bothered about me than the actual discussion.

Teaching them about kindness doesn't mean working for free? "Ok mum. I will do the washing up for you... but only if you give me money for it. Then you can do it tomorrow for free, mum"....

I never realised that doing the odd chore around the house was 'working'.....
    • svain
    • By svain 10th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 631 Thanks
    svain
    Do you think of how this will effect them? Sitting there watching whilst you run ragged?

It is not just about getting the jobs done, as we all know, its teaching them how to do them properly, how to run a home, how to cope when they move to Uni, they will know how to iron their own clothes, cook their own food etc

My friends husband came from a household where his parents did everything - and his expectation that the housework was not 'his business' resulted in divorce quite early on.

Household is a team, when kids are old enough, and able bodied enough to participate in that - they should - they have parents, NOT slaves. This is sending kids an awful message that they are superior to parents and all the dogsbody work should be done by the second class citizens of the household = the parents!

I never got pocket money as a kid but was expected to pull my weight at home. I did move out / leave home with a full understanding of how to cook many different meals, iron and wash my own clothes, and do basic DIY, whereas others were clueless of even how to change a bloody lightbulb

I must be right old fashioned, it shocks me to the core, that people are giving kids amounts like £40 per month - it really does. I am wondering are they buying their own clothes, lunches, out of it, or is it purely for extras? If so this is more than some working adults get spare each month lol
    Originally posted by ska lover
    Who is running ragged?, us parent in our house are not ... We have our busy times of course, but not to the point we are "ragged". If that is the case i would be looking to rectify that very quickly by managing time better or prioritising differently. Lets be honest with advent of washing machines, dishwashers, mod cons etc most of the daily stuff is done with far reduced input from us in this modern world.

Micro managing children with lists/chores is suffocating and pointless. Let kids be kids for the short period they are able. None of it is rocket science and they will (and have been) fine when the time comes when they move out.

Feeling like a slave or inferior to the children is more about the parents state of mind, and not as a result of whether the children do the odd task or not .... So long as the children are respectful and appreciative then I personally dont have an issue with it.
    Last edited by svain; 10-01-2018 at 2:58 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,606Posts Today

8,181Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin