Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • usthad
    • By usthad 8th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    usthad
    BT not allowing me to leave PB contract without penalty after price hike!!
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    BT not allowing me to leave PB contract without penalty after price hike!! 8th Jan 18 at 5:06 PM
    I have phone and broadband contract until June this year with BT. They told me they had send me an email about the price hike on 1st of december which I didn't receive(and I don't remember consenting to BT to communicate with me on email in the first place other than e-billing).
    So I asked them whether I could leave like MSE article suggested, but they refused to leave penalty free as 30 days have lapsed since the email they send and I didn't receive!! I will have pay the penalty and 6 months rental+BB charges.
    I have raised a complaint and they are sending me ombudsman details.
    To make things worse internet connection keep dropping off, which BT customer service is looking into(only 1 day since complaint was raised)
    Am I not entitled to leave without penalty? Is there anything else I could do?
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 774 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:11 PM
    So why did you ask to not have emails from them?

I can see this going one way, and it's not yours...
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 8th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 3,199 Posts
    • 19,110 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:18 PM
    Not a lot you can do apart from appeal to their better nature!

They will have evidence to prove they sent it, and as it was a communication BT were required to send by law, I imagine this overrides your communciation preferences about not receiving any emails.

• JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 9th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 4,441 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:51 AM
    Check your BT account and where it sends emails to .
    Yesterdays price rise has been well documented for the last three months .
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    as it was a communication BT were required to send by law, I imagine this overrides your communciation preferences about not receiving any emails.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    Correct, setting email preferences only applies to marketing emails. They can still send (rightly) emails pertaining to your account. They'll also be able to prove they sent it and even possibly if the customer has read it.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 9th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    boatman
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    Its a bit concerning the number of people on here that have not received the price rise notification. I'm sure some have ended in the junk folder and got deleted, but I do find it hard to believe that is the case with all of them.
    Should OFCOM be insisting that letters are sent as well as emails? It always used to be the case that it would be something sent out with a paper bill, is there a better way, be it text message automated phone message perhaps?
    At the end of the day BT or any other company don't have to increase prices mid contract, its their choice to do so, so perhaps they should be encouraged (and also pay for) to use every possible means to inform the customer, not just rely on one email.
    Last edited by boatman; 09-01-2018 at 11:07 AM. Reason: ii
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    Its a bit concerning the number of people on here that claim to have not received the price rise notification.
    I've corrected that
    • diane***
    • By diane*** 10th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    diane***
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:10 AM
    hey i have the very same issue.......... they put my costs up, i just wrote my story asking for help 2 minutes ago then found yours... i didn't get notification either. i also didn't know that agreed contract prices can rise and if they do you can cancel the contract, BT says they notified me, they didn't. i checked my emails, i had one email in November about caller display charge 1.75 , if i wanted it ''free'' i could follow a link.
    Now how does that qualify as notification of charge increases? i ask you.
    BT are not playing fair, i agreed 24 months paying 61.99 and now find i'm paying 73.24 , the only notification i received was about caller display 1.75 ... i did not get an email about contract renewal or choices.
    i thought signed contracts were binding on both sides, if they wanted to change the deal then they should have ended it and asked me to get in contact, not put the charge up and say it's my fault .
    This is poor practice and many people are getting caught out.
    i have complined and i am waiting for a snail mail letter to raise the issue further with BT complaints.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 10th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 4,441 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:32 AM
    <i also didn't know that agreed contract prices can rise >
    Thats in all the adverts and terms and conditions and your sign up .
    <Our prices and terms may change at any time while you're in contract with us

We'll let you know about any important changes before they happen.>
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 11th Jan 18, 3:42 AM
    • 8,536 Posts
    • 6,315 Thanks
    pmduk
    Its a bit concerning the number of people on here that have not received the price rise notification. I'm sure some have ended in the junk folder and got deleted, but I do find it hard to believe that is the case with all of them.
    Should OFCOM be insisting that letters are sent as well as emails? It always used to be the case that it would be something sent out with a paper bill, is there a better way, be it text message automated phone message perhaps?
    At the end of the day BT or any other company don't have to increase prices mid contract, its their choice to do so, so perhaps they should be encouraged (and also pay for) to use every possible means to inform the customer, not just rely on one email.
    Originally posted by boatman
    No matter how the notification is sent, there will be people claiming not to have received it.
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 11th Jan 18, 5:59 AM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 8,461 Thanks
    uberalles
    I have not received any type of communication advising the price rise.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 11th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 10,512 Posts
    • 4,441 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    No message in Martins weekly email , No heads up from MSE on this forum circa first week November .Followed by all the how to avoid increase posts .
    Nothing on your BT account pages ??
    • uberalles
    • By uberalles 14th Jan 18, 2:21 PM
    • 4,076 Posts
    • 8,461 Thanks
    uberalles
    I don't read the MSE page.

As I said, I've had nothing from BT. Nothing on my account page neither.
    • diane***
    • By diane*** 16th Jan 18, 10:15 AM
    • 52 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    diane***
    me neither Uberalles..... no notifications.
    The thing is my broad band is very good with BT .
    I wasn't unhappy until they insisted that I got notified,'' their computer says so''
    I just didn't, maybe I would have stayed maybe I wouldn't.... the point is I didn't get a choice, and when I raised it I got a tired ''seen it ,done it, tired of it, go away'' response from the customer service.

JJ Egan says there were other ways of finding out, I was on a contract, so price rises didn't apply to me.
    like when gas prices go up..... i'm on a contract until September, it doesn't apply to me.

I gather i'm dumb, and my stupidity is my down fall. I can't see that changing any time soon, the best thing to do is to buy only the essentials, have ''free view''...you can't get caught out then by bills you weren't expecting.
    • DeepPockets_ShortArms
    • By DeepPockets_ShortArms 17th Jan 18, 12:27 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    DeepPockets_ShortArms
    I arranged to leave BT due to the price hike (within the 30d). They confirmed via WebChat that there would be no early termination charges.

Then they sent a message saying there would be charges.

Another web chat, and a call back from their retentions dept they again confirmed there would be no charges.

Then they sent me a final bill - with guess what - early termination and hardware charges.

I've lost any confidence they will sort it out in a timely fashion, so I have written to them enclosing copies of the chat transcripts, and blocked the direct Debit at the bank for good measure.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th Jan 18, 1:11 PM
    • 2,234 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I've lost any confidence they will sort it out in a timely fashion, so I have written to them enclosing copies of the chat transcripts, and blocked the direct Debit at the bank for good measure.
    Originally posted by DeepPockets_ShortArms
    They can't now organise a timely refund of any owed monies.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 17th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 18,811 Posts
    • 12,996 Thanks
    molerat
    They can't now organise a timely refund of any owed monies.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    Yes they can. I have had several refunds from companies after the DD has been cancelled.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • boatman
    • By boatman 17th Jan 18, 4:46 PM
    • 3,945 Posts
    • 2,808 Thanks
    boatman
    I arranged to leave BT due to the price hike (within the 30d). They confirmed via WebChat that there would be no early termination charges.

Then they sent a message saying there would be charges.

Another web chat, and a call back from their retentions dept they again confirmed there would be no charges.

Then they sent me a final bill - with guess what - early termination and hardware charges.

Originally posted by DeepPockets_ShortArms
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/complaints/queue_id/462
    Send in a written complaint using the online 'e-form' in the above link, stating exactly what you want to happen.
    Last edited by boatman; 17-01-2018 at 4:47 PM. Reason: ii
    • Mattalia
    • By Mattalia 17th Jan 18, 8:11 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mattalia
    Has anyone got anywhere with this?

I've just found out after getting my bill and realised I have missed the email. I feel pretty stupid because I'm quite hot on these kind of things but one email?

I've had this in the past and I've had a letter sent to me. I feel a bit cheated now (and I admit a little stupid) but just one email? Surely they can make things a bit clearer.
    Now I've missed the 30 days I'm a bit stuck with it....
    • usthad
    • By usthad 27th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    usthad
    Nice to know that I am not alone. I also have additional problem of internet connection dropping and speed issues. Twice engineer came and reconnected the wire inside the property from the faulty two to non faulty. Speed improved for a bit then it dropped again, few days later connection dropping again.

Does any one know what percentage variation from upto adversited speed is unacceptable? For EG: my connection is 56 mbps. on average I am getting anywhere between 24-36mbps.

With regards to price hike only option BT left me is to go to OFCOM. I will keep you updated. If any of you have any success stories please share.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,926Posts Today

6,756Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin