Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 8th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    • 93Posts
    • 95Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    Sunken's attempt to float...
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:56 PM
    Sunken's attempt to float... 8th Jan 18 at 4:56 PM
    Right, anyone who thinks they have a lot of unsecured debt on their SOA prepare to be stunned, amazed and horrified at this bad boy!

Household Information
    Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 2
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details[/b]
    Monthly income after tax................ 1300
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2328
    Benefits................................ 137
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3765

Monthly Expense Details
    Mortgage................................ 671
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property) 0
    Council tax............................. 133
    Electricity............................. 77
    Gas..................................... 77
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 45.75
    Telephone (land line) 24
    Mobile phone............................ 10
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 400
    Clothing................................ 30
    Petrol/diesel........................... 120
    Road tax................................ 16.62
    Car Insurance........................... 25
    Car maintenance (including MOT) 50
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 160
    Other child related expenses............ 88
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc) 10
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 25
    Buildings insurance..................... 18.45
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 50
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 30
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 150
    Holiday................................. 50
    Emergency fund.......................... 50
    christmas saving........................ 50
    grading fees............................ 30
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2422.82

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 200000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 400
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 200400

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 149588...(671)......2.89
    Total secured & HP debts...... 149588

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mum loan 1.....................11585.....331.......0
    mum loan 2.....................12852.....252.......0
    shawbrook loan.................15001.....231.......7.6
    credit card....................12000.....450.......0
    ikano..........................2500......69.45.... .0
    Total unsecured debts..........53938.....1333.45

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total monthly income.................... 3,765
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,422.82
    Available for debt repayments........... 1,342.18
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 1,333.45
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 8.73

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 200,400
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -149,588
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -53,938
    Net Assets.............................. -3,126

This is not a SOA of how things actually are at the moment, but how I'd like them to be from next month onwards. I could give you a picture of how things are at the moment, but it would be more akin to an internet meme showing a car falling off a pier or something.

We have LOADS of debt, but do you know what? I'm not actually that disheartened. A lot of that debt was accrued through buying our house (had to borrow deposit) and then doing it up.

For that debt we have a house with a new bathroom, new double glazing, new kitchen and redecorated, including installing a log burner.
    But now we have to sit in that house and never go out

Very irresponsible.

I have started and chopped and changed jobs recently, so my pay is a bit of a mystery and my tax code is so mangled even the bloke at HMRC sounded depressed when he tried to explain it to me, at one point he said I seemed to owe 11k in tax, which as I only earned 13k last year seemed a little unlikely, so I'm sitting tight til April when it will be one job, one tax code and potentially a small rebate due.

I really really really want to build up car/emergency/christmas funds. So bored of the December disaster and post christmas blues, which is where I am currently sitting. Doesn't help that my current car is MOTd in December!

We're lucky in that my OH has a company car and fuel card, naturally we pay highly in tax for it, but it does mean that on family trips/holidays we don't have to factor petrol into the equation.

My own car is a tiny rustbucket and kind on fuel, but liable to break at any moment.

Trying to decide what budget software to use. I got on quite well with YNAB last year when I had a free trial, but then it seemed to be costing over a fiver a month and it seems a bit daft to pay for that, so I'm looking around for something else.

Any thoughts and questions welcome. I think my fuel seems a little high, so am going to submit up to date meter reading and then potentially switch suppliers.

Phone and internet together are 25 - seems ok.

I've set the intended cc repayment high because I'd like to pay it off in 2 years. Of course the actual minimum will be much lower, but I figure if we pay it off asap then suddenly we have another 450 a month to snowball with.

Life insurance is high because my OH is not the slimmest chap and only a few companies will offer him insurance. Only 9.76 of that figure is mine.

Buildings and contents are included together.

I genuinely think that's not an unrealistic budget but more experienced people can give me their thoughts?
Page 6
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 3rd Mar 18, 11:11 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    Just updated signature and am pleased with progress. It's a shame I don't really know where we are with the loans, hopefully an annual statement will be sent for them in a couple of months (except my mum's - wish I'd kept track more of them -they seem to be lasting longer and longer!!)

Also pleased to be out of OH's overdraft. It wasn't a particularly expensive one, but still annoying to pay money for basically nothing.

Am trying hard with YNAB, and it's quite reassuring to have it tell me what I can afford - I keep worrying that I've forgotten stuff but I've checked and checked again and it's all there - so let's see how this month goes.

I'm feeling lucky that with my new job it's telephone based so I have been able to work from home in the Snow. Previously with my work as a carer I would have had to cancel shifts (most were in rural areas) and that would have severely impacted our budget. This has actually helped it as I haven't had to pay afterschool care or for petrol.
    End of last month as the money came in but I didn't have time to get a 'big' shop we did spend in local co op - which irritated me greatly, just so expensive compared to Lidl etc - so I compensated by doing a massive Lidl shop on Thursday. 120 - which is a lot to spend in there but I feel we are well stocked for food and household supplies for a while now.

I find there is a tendency as the savings grow to feel a little more relaxed about money - but I recognise that's a dangerous path. I want to keep the intensity of feeling I had at the beginning of the year. Will spend more time on this forum to help with that.
    Savings:
    Emergency 404.38/1000 Car 200/600 Christmas 250/800 Holiday 250/600
    Grading 30/90 presents 40
    Total debt Jan 2018 53,938
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 12th Mar 18, 3:46 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    Still keeping on keeping on. I think it's been more of a spendy month than planned (OH treated me to a couple of bits for mother's day ) but we're both very much keeping track of it all and I'm using YNAB like a demon. Husband keeps taking the mick as I can sit scowling at it for ages and he'll tell me to leave it and I'll say 'not until I've found that rogue 38 pence!', the feeling of satisfaction when the bank accounts match my working balance is immense!

Had the 125 switching bonus from First Direct, so that's gone straight into the Emergency pot which is currently sitting at a healthy 500, however I know 140 of that is earmarked for the loft insulation so I can't get too pleased. Slightly regret switching to FD though, I really did prefer TSB - they are much quicker to record pending transactions -nothing we have spent over the weekend has shown up on the bank account yet, and I didn't have to have a stupid security key/app with TSB. Oh well.....

Still enjoying the diaries on here. Really really want to be debt free. I want the money we earn to be OURS again.
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 14th Mar 18, 4:29 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    Feeling a little low. Been learning and playing with YNAB all day, which is good - but I have managed to work out how to list my debts there without them tracking. With the loans, because I can't figure out how to separate capital and interest etc, I have put the full amount if I make payments over the term of the loan, and it makes for depressing reading.
    So total of 54,866.56.

Now, I know that there is a few thousand of interest in that (particularly with my loan with 7%), and therefore once I have paid off a few other debts I can throw more money at it and bring my dfd closer.

I'll be honest, I do feel a certain amount of shame at that figure, I think I'll pop off to do a snowball now I have got all my exact figures together and see what it comes up with as a dfd
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 14th Mar 18, 4:48 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    Well, snowball says 37 months at the rate we're currently paying it off. If I've done the sums right. That seems ok to me.
    We are remortgaging this year (well, switching rates) and I was thinking about some sort of consolidation, but if I've learnt anything from this site it's that IT DOESN'T WORK!
    SO we'll just suck it up for 37 months.
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Bigskies
    • By Bigskies 19th Mar 18, 8:07 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Bigskies
    We (briefly) considered consolidation when we redid our fixed rate last month. It was so tempting as our equity is more than our (huge) debt, but like you decided that actually as nice as it would be, it wouldn!!!8217;t make us spend less, so sucking it up and getting it paid off makes more sense, even if it!!!8217;s going to probably be grim for five years (as we!!!8217;re juggling paying off sixty odd thousand and will be putting three kids through uni at the same time!)
    Jan 2018 68,274 May 1 2018 59,537
    Percentage of total debt paid 12.79%
    2018 target 10k So far: 8737
    Monthly target 833 January 1129 Feb 1278 Mar 1176 Apr 5152
    POAYDBX18 #124 8737/10,000
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 22nd Mar 18, 1:23 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    Yeah, We've been struggling with debt since we've been together and our solution has always been to consolidate, and then consolidate some more, and then some more. At some point we have to pay down the damn debt!

Again having a squeaky end to the month, because I've been focussing so much on a professional accreditation I have to submit, organised food shopping has again gone for a Burton and we have way overspent. We're still within total budget, just (as in have spent less on petrol and childcare than we planned to) but I'm disappointed it's coming so close. Bad habits slipping in again.

Also worried that I won't get paid much next month as work are spectacular at messing up my payslips and now I only have one job it all comes through them. Also OH's work have upped his compulsory pension contribution by an extra 80 quid with no consultation! That's not money we have right now.

However, we have no trips away planned over Easter so will just have to budget hard and suck it up - and remind myself that each month we live within our means and pay off debt we are making our lives better not worse.
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 22nd Mar 18, 2:11 PM
    • 6,617 Posts
    • 13,920 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Feeling a little low. Been learning and playing with YNAB all day, which is good - but I have managed to work out how to list my debts there without them tracking. With the loans, because I can't figure out how to separate capital and interest etc, I have put the full amount if I make payments over the term of the loan, and it makes for depressing reading.
    So total of 54,866.56.

Now, I know that there is a few thousand of interest in that (particularly with my loan with 7%), and therefore once I have paid off a few other debts I can throw more money at it and bring my dfd closer.

I'll be honest, I do feel a certain amount of shame at that figure, I think I'll pop off to do a snowball now I have got all my exact figures together and see what it comes up with as a dfd
    Originally posted by Sunkencosts
    Well, snowball says 37 months at the rate we're currently paying it off. If I've done the sums right. That seems ok to me.
    We are remortgaging this year (well, switching rates) and I was thinking about some sort of consolidation, but if I've learnt anything from this site it's that IT DOESN'T WORK!
    SO we'll just suck it up for 37 months.
    Is there no way of getting a current up to date balance on the loan without including the future interest if it goes on monthly?

Yeah, We've been struggling with debt since we've been together and our solution has always been to consolidate, and then consolidate some more, and then some more. At some point we have to pay down the damn debt!

Again having a squeaky end to the month, because I've been focussing so much on a professional accreditation I have to submit, organised food shopping has again gone for a Burton and we have way overspent. We're still within total budget, just (as in have spent less on petrol and childcare than we planned to) but I'm disappointed it's coming so close. Bad habits slipping in again.
    At least you are aware that bad habits are starting to creep in again and being aware goes halfway to solving the problem. It is learned behaviour to spend without thinking. You need to think before spending.

I cannot agree more about your comment about consolidating and consolidating being the reason for yours and many others high debt figures. At some point the debt has to be repaid. Delaying by consolidating can only be done for so long.

You seem to be doing really well and I am impressed by how you are trying to change your mindset. Choosing a camping holiday to keep the costs down is sensible and hopefully in a few years time you will be able to up the holiday budget and do these things with no problems. Just think 1300 pay rise once it is all gone just by having no debt repayments.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 27th Mar 18, 9:20 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    Thanks Enthusiastic Saver,

Actually we've just had our annual loan statement through, so I could update it. The problem is not knowing how much of our monthly payment is actually coming off the balance (I'm not super fast with aprs etc) as we don't have day to day access to our account - it's a peer to peer lender. I could phone up and check each month I suppose.

Feeling a bit boosted as we are actually finishing the month in the black. More through luck than judgement (had an unexpected bit of holiday pay etc) but have enough in the pot to put more petrol in the car, do another big food shop and still start next month with around 200 in the kitty. I think I'll get to Friday and then sweep this into the savings so we budget only what we earn.

This is good as my wages may be much lower than I'm expecting (so frustrating to never understand your payslip or be able to predict how much it will be!)

YNAB has been a godsend this month. Sure it's a bit laborious entering everything in (don't have bank accounts linked) but to be able to see where our money has gone has been brilliant. My God we've overspent on food! And it's been because I've been too tired (lazy!) to do proper food shops so again we've been to the local convenience shop.

It is completely in my power to change this!

It was lovely having the money saved for our martial arts grading fees, without having to scrape around and pay at the last moment.

Onwards! Obviously the school holidays are coming up but we're not going away so hopefully a couple of day trips will be enough for everyone.
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 28th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    I have updated my debt figures with today's totals, and it comes to an eye watering 48932.97, but it's definitely going down. As far as I can tell I pay about 88 interest a month on the peer to peer loan so I will just adjust for that in YNAB and at least I will know my total is either that or less as the interest will decrease a little over the year.

Have set my figures in for YNAB next month and am currently 1181.96 underfunded, so am hoping my wage slip shows either that or more. In truth, there is room for cutting back a little bit in the budget if we need to - but seeing how we managed to overspend last month I really need to keep on top of this!

Hoped today was going to be a non spend day but remembered the kids had to have sponsorship money for something this money so bye bye tenner! My 'stuff I forgot to budget for' category is growing by the day!

OH and I are a little bit at loggerheads over the issue of, well, logs. We have come to the end of a load and as it's April (nearly) I would like to leave it until autumn - however, with the predicted Beast from the East 3 coming in OH wants to get another load. Just seems so extravagant.
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 28th Mar 18, 6:57 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    phew - payslip is in and it's enough for this month, just!
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 30th Mar 18, 8:50 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    And in further good news, have submitted latest energy readings and they are refunding us another 169 and are finally dropping the DDs by 38 a month. Will be putting that to the emergency fund. Really want to see if I can get it to 1000 and then extra money can go towards other things.
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 31st Mar 18, 9:14 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    So I've moved to First Direct Bank but I'm not really sure it's working for me.
    Firstly they are not quick to update spends, my old bank TSB would record everything in Pending as soon as it was spent but FD don't track until it's cleared, which makes more work for me.

Secondly I have been charged because I went into an informal overdraft but when I checked the account in the morning it didn't show, so it must have cleared part way through the day - and I got sent a text at 7pm telling me to have funds in by 11.30 pm. I don't get texts at home because of poor signal so didn't get this til the next day. The really annoying thing is I had money in other accounts which I could have moved across.

Nope, don't like this bank. Think I'll spend a bit of today choosing a new one (or seeing if TSB will have me back!!)
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Bigskies
    • By Bigskies 1st Apr 18, 8:58 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    Bigskies
    Halifax have a great app and everything comes off your available balance the second you use the card.
    Jan 2018 68,274 May 1 2018 59,537
    Percentage of total debt paid 12.79%
    2018 target 10k So far: 8737
    Monthly target 833 January 1129 Feb 1278 Mar 1176 Apr 5152
    POAYDBX18 #124 8737/10,000
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 4th Apr 18, 9:41 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    So actually this month is turning out more spendy than I planned. My sister wanted me to buy some bedroom furniture off her, and last month I said no on the basis that we couldn't afford it but this month she dropped the price considerably and threw in some other stuff too - and it was things that we knew we were going to have to buy eventually (new beds for the kids) so we went with it.
    80 for an expensive (originally) set of bunk beds, and a large play table.
    Then we swapped the kids rooms round and I have ordered a new hi sleeper bed for my son (110). Was also looking at ordering a desk and chair (again, things he will need eventually), but was lucky enough to be driving past a charity shop when someone was dropping them off and got desk and office chair for a total of 6.50. Bought him that and a new lamp for 4 and he is nearly set.
    Both rooms really do need to be decorated though...... Also the carpets have been eaten to shreds by silverfish I think (bleurghhh) but am not forking out for new carpets at the moment - mainly because we'd have to take all the furniture out of the rooms and we've only just put it all in there!

Anyway, this can mainly come from the repayment of the electricity bill so we won't be much out of pocket.

Another thing we've spent on is a card for the zoo. My husbands work offers a years membership for one adult for 25. So he's bought one, arranged for me to use his colleague's one when we go, and kids will be half price - so a total family zoo visit for 11. Thought this could be a useful thing to have as we're not going away this year and will need some cheap days out.

First visit this Sunday!

Now need to log on and try and balance the books for this month.
    Have a horrible cold at the moment and have had to cancel some work which won't help things.
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 18th Apr 18, 8:30 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    60 day trial ended and I have now bitten the bullet and paid 86 dollars (!) for YNAB years subscription. Kicking myself for not buying it outright when they used to sell it like that.

It seems a huge amount, but I have to say it has really been helping with my peace of mind. It's a pain having to enter everything manually (not connected to accounts) but it really helps us to stay accountable for our spending and I find having peace of mind is nice.

Our "stuff not budgeted for" category gets out of control a lot of the time - this month OH needed a new passport for example, but we still seem to be a bit afloat.

Next month might not be great as OH's increased pension contributions kick in. When the budget is as tight as ours a couple of hundred quid less really notices! Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
    For now just plodding along. Easter holidays are at last over so routine starts again.

Exciting news though, OH has got us a night away with tasting menu and breakfast somewhere really posh I love - for free! Knows the manager. So that is definitely something to look forward to
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 18th Apr 18, 8:32 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    60 day trial ended and I have now bitten the bullet and paid 86 dollarshttp://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/speechless-smiley-040.gif (!) for YNAB years subscription. Kicking myself for not buying it outright when they used to sell it like that.

It seems a huge amount, but I have to say it has really been helping with my peace of mind. It's a pain having to enter everything manually (not connected to accounts) but it really helps us to stay accountable for our spending and I find having peace of mind is nice.

Our "stuff not budgeted for" category gets out of control a lot of the time - this month OH needed a new passport for example, but we still seem to be a bit afloat.

Next month might not be great as OH's increased pension contributions kick in. When the budget is as tight as ours a couple of hundred quid less really notices! Oh well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/frown.gif
    For now just plodding along. Easter holidays are at last over so routine starts again.

Exciting news though, OH has got us a night away with tasting menu and breakfast somewhere really posh I love - for free! Knows the manager. So that is definitely something to look forward to http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/action-smiley-033.gif
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
    • Sunkencosts
    • By Sunkencosts 18th Apr 18, 8:33 AM
    • 93 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    Sunkencosts
    Double post! Marvellous!
    Savings:
    April 2018 47,780.52
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

742Posts Today

6,792Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This tweet made me reread my 'How to Vote in the EU referendum' guide - quite interesting to realise how little has? https://t.co/lFQaSSqUGj

• Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Follow Martin