Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trent
    • By trent 8th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    trent
    Alternative to First Direct Internet Banking Plus on Mac
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    Alternative to First Direct Internet Banking Plus on Mac 8th Jan 18 at 3:40 PM
    Hi there, I have recently moved from PC to Mac and found that the really useful First Direct Internet Banking Plus service which allows me to view and login to all my bank accounts does not work on a Mac! ( in the past I used the Egg money manager until that was discontinued)

Are there any alternatives, that will save me manually logging in to multiple bank accounts.

As an aside, I have seen some online aggregation services, but for me, the most useful part is being able to login with one click to multiple banks - and the aggregators did not seem to offer that.

thanks
Page 1
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    john22
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:25 PM
    Hi there, I have recently moved from PC to Mac and found that the really useful First Direct Internet Banking Plus service which allows me to view and login to all my bank accounts does not work on a Mac! ( in the past I used the Egg money manager until that was discontinued)

Are there any alternatives, that will save me manually logging in to multiple bank accounts.

As an aside, I have seen some online aggregation services, but for me, the most useful part is being able to login with one click to multiple banks - and the aggregators did not seem to offer that.

thanks
    Originally posted by trent
    What do you mean it does not work on the Mac?

Is it a program that is downloaded onto PC or is it web based and does not work on the safari web browser. If itís the latter then why not use google chrome browser?
    • djohnst
    • By djohnst 8th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    djohnst
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:46 PM
    I can confirm - Internet Banking Plus is an ActiveX web application so only works on Internet Explorer.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    john22
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    I can confirm - Internet Banking Plus is an ActiveX web application so only works on Internet Explorer.
    Originally posted by djohnst
    Sorry thatís me stumped.

Unsure why companies still design there online presence without making it compatible with safari or at least google chrome browser, very backward thinking.

Hope someone else can help you!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Jan 18, 2:00 AM
    • 27,231 Posts
    • 10,970 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:00 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:00 AM
    First Direct are a pain already without them trying to add more

I mistyped by security question, 1 character slipped. It forced me to create a new security question. Thats daft. 1 slip and you have to change it?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Mr_Toad
    • By Mr_Toad 9th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 2,420 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    Mr_Toad
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    First Direct are a pain already without them trying to add more

I mistyped by security question, 1 character slipped. It forced me to create a new security question. Thats daft. 1 slip and you have to change it?
    Originally posted by forgotmyname
    I'm sorry but you mistyped your message.

Please create a new message...........
    One by one the penguins are slowly stealing my sanity.
    • trent
    • By trent 9th Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    trent
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 1:41 PM
    Yes, the technology active x is only on Internet Explorer and so doesn!!!8217;t work on a Mac.
    It seems strange to build software that is not compatible across devices... but that is how it is.

Has anyone used any software programs that will aggregate different bank accounts and also allow you to login to the various banks automatically ?

This seems to be the one thing I can!!!8217;t resolve so far on my PC to Mac journey.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 9th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 3,850 Posts
    • 5,291 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:16 PM
    You could always run a Windows Emulator on the Mac.

That's what I did when I tried a mac for a while, before switching back to a PC!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 27,231 Posts
    • 10,970 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 6:05 PM
    I'm sorry but you mistyped your message.

Please create a new message...........
    Originally posted by Mr_Toad
    See why its a big issue for me One mistryped charactar amd i havv to reset mt parsword orr sekuritty quistion again
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 10th Jan 18, 8:29 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    wongataa
    Originally posted by trent
    You should be complaining to First Direct that they will only let you use outdated web browsers (which only work on a particular system so alienating everyone that prefers to use a different one) that are becoming security risks. They should let you use modern browsers that adhere to standards so you can use any one on any type of system.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 10th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 3,850 Posts
    • 5,291 Thanks
    Nick_C
    You should be complaining to First Direct that they will only let you use outdated web browsers (which only work on a particular system so alienating everyone that prefers to use a different one) that are becoming security risks. They should let you use modern browsers that adhere to standards so you can use any one on any type of system.
    Originally posted by wongataa
    You can use the very latest version of IE on a PC running Windows.

You should complain to Apple that they don't support Active X.

Or complain to Android that they don't support iTunes.

Apple's share of the "PC" market is shrinking, and is now just over 7%. I can understand businesses not spending money developing apps for a small minority. Especially in the case of First Direct Internet Banking Plus which is free for anyone to use - you don't even have to be a FD customer!
    Last edited by Nick_C; 07-02-2018 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added the word "Plus"
    • toshi
    • By toshi 10th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 180 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    toshi
    Internet Explore has been patch works for SpyGlass Mosaic Browser (remember ? lol) Active X is an old technology, and Microsoft wants to get rid of it as MS new Edge Browser does not support Active X.

https://www.computerworld.com/article/2920892/web-browsers/microsoft-nixes-activex-add-on-technology-in-new-edge-browser.html

People also shift to mobile, tablet as well. I won't be surprised even Active X based services would disappear in near future. Let's hope we will have more cross-platform open services ...
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 11th Jan 18, 11:35 AM
    • 1,343 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    wongataa
    You can use the very latest version of IE on a PC running Windows.

You should complain to Apple that they don't support Active X.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    Why? Microsoft are stopping support for Active X.. Internet Explorer is now deprecated in Windows 10 and their replacement browser doesn't support it. The only software that support Active X is at the end of its life. Companies should be aware that no modern browser supports Active X and they should create web sites that work in all current browsers.
    • Rosie1980
    • By Rosie1980 6th Feb 18, 11:09 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Rosie1980
    Did you find an answer
    I am interested in the answer to this question, did you find a solution? I too used Egg Money Manager and then onto First Direct Plus; and now I am using a Mac. It's a real pain logging into all the accounts separately.
    • mro
    • By mro 7th Feb 18, 10:29 AM
    • 681 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    mro
    Especially in the case of First Direct Internet Banking which is free for anyone to use - you don't even have to be a FD customer!
    How can use FD internet banking without being customer ?

You have to login, you have to have account to manage.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 7th Feb 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3,850 Posts
    • 5,291 Thanks
    Nick_C
    How can use FD internet banking without being customer ?

You have to login, you have to have account to manage.
    Originally posted by mro
    I use First Direct Internet Banking Plus. I have a user account for that system. I don't have any bank accounts with First Direct.
    Last edited by Nick_C; 07-02-2018 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added the word "Plus"
    • Rosie1980
    • By Rosie1980 7th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Rosie1980
    It's a different log in, it's their internet banking plus service. However they have changed it and you do now have to have a First Direct current account.
    • mro
    • By mro 7th Feb 18, 12:23 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    mro
    I use First Direct Internet Banking. I have a user account for that system. I don't have any bank accounts with First Direct.
    So FD let you manage bank account from a different bank.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 7th Feb 18, 12:30 PM
    • 3,850 Posts
    • 5,291 Thanks
    Nick_C
    So FD let you manage bank account from a different bank.
    Originally posted by mro
    Yes!.......
    • Rosie1980
    • By Rosie1980 7th Feb 18, 1:36 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Rosie1980
    You can only use this in Internet Explorer only as it requires ActiveX. Your bank details are stored securely on your PC, not by FD. If you use multiple PCs you have to set up your details on each PC. It's brilliant, one log in and you can see the lot. The only downside is it isn't supported on any other web browser.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

284Posts Today

3,525Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ah these care free days of watching #ENG score 5 goals in the first half of a World Cup match. It reminds me of... Never.

• Then it should be. It's not some accident. It's deliberate grappling https://t.co/UxVTuUSNio

• Penalty yes but time someone was sent off for these wrestling moves #WorldCup

• Follow Martin