Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ChangesAhead
    • By ChangesAhead 8th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ChangesAhead
    Giant Step Back To Work - I Think
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:38 PM
    Giant Step Back To Work - I Think 8th Jan 18 at 2:38 PM
    10 years out of work due to long term mental health problems. I currently claim ESA Support Group, not been re-assessed for close to 5 years (think they have forgot about me!)

I don't claim PIP or DLA.

I am thinking of going back to work part time for 16 hours, in fact I have secured an interview with my first job application this week!

I would earn min wage of £7.50 so £120 per week. Unsure what tax and NI I would pay on that. Aware I have to contribute to a pension now, but again unsure how much.

I believe I would get working tax credits for having a disability, the gov.uk calculator tells me this would be £381.57 per month, so about £95 a week.

Would I still get help with housing benefit or council tax support?

This is a big step for me, so I don't want to rush in, 16 hours a week is all I need for now, especially as I am a carer for someone else, I will not be claiming carers allowance if / when ESA ceases as less than 35 hours a week as a carer when working. I do currently get a Carers Premium on my ESA of £34.95 for caring over 35 hours.

Single, no children, 40, social housing (2 bed) rent of £91.20 per week.

I am currently getting ESA at £160.05 per week, made up of £73.10 living expenses, £36.55 support group and £15.90 for enhanced disability premium and a carers premium of £34.95.

Can anyone help with calculations, those online calculators are driving me crazy!

EDIT: Seems I would only be £5 better off working 16 hours and coming off ESA... Read something about permitted work? Never heard of this before. If I did 12 hours permitted work earnings of £90 would be ignored? This may be a better option, given I have not worked for 10 years.
    Last edited by ChangesAhead; 08-01-2018 at 4:47 PM.
Page 1
    • w06
    • By w06 8th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 627 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    w06
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 4:51 PM
    not sure on the money side of it but good luck!

It will probably be daunting and exciting in equal measure to start with, and very very tiring in my expereince. Worth it though
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 8th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 5,008 Posts
    • 5,417 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    You certainly need to investigate Permitted Work. Hours have to be under 16 per week i.e. 15 hr 59min is fine, but 16 hr 00 min is not. Earnings are ignored if doing Permitted Work.
    Permitted work would give you a safety net in case the job doesn't work out as there would be no need to reclaim ESA if the job ended.
    • ChangesAhead
    • By ChangesAhead 8th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ChangesAhead
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:46 PM
    You certainly need to investigate Permitted Work. Hours have to be under 16 per week i.e. 15 hr 59min is fine, but 16 hr 00 min is not. Earnings are ignored if doing Permitted Work.
    Permitted work would give you a safety net in case the job doesn't work out as there would be no need to reclaim ESA if the job ended.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01

Thanks, been doing a little more reading on Permitted Work rules, seems ideal for me. I initially applied for 16 hours but know that they are recruiting for 8 hours + so will bring this up at interview!
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 8th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 2,140 Posts
    • 2,495 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    You are correct in thinking that if working at least 16 hours the disability element of WTC would be paid.

https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/disability-element

"Condition A - At any time in the last 26 weeks before you claim WTC you were getting higher rate of short term incapacity benefit (IB), long-term incapacity benefit (IB), severe disablement allowance (SDA) or employment and support allowance (ESA: providing you have been entitled to it for at least 28 weeks !!!8211; including linked periods and periods on statutory sick pay (SSP))."

Good luck.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,486Posts Today

8,284Users online

Martin's Twitter