Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 8th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    • 104Posts
    • 18Thanks
    surfer9
    Who is responsible for GAS safety check...
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:02 PM
    Who is responsible for GAS safety check... 8th Jan 18 at 2:02 PM
    Hi,

Does anyone know who is responsible for the annual gas safety check, the landlord or the tenants?

I live in a shared house.....should the landlady be the one who oversees and is present during this check or is it down to the tenants?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 8th Jan 18, 2:04 PM
    • 1,289 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:04 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:04 PM
    Landlord - though you can be present.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:05 PM
    Always the landlord (obviously to be honest!)
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 8th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 7,809 Posts
    • 7,986 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:10 PM
    The only person who needs to be present is the gas person doing the testing. Though I'm sure they're always delighted to have an audience.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 8th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    The responsibility to get the certification is that of the LL.
    There is no requirement for anyone other than the registered person carrying out the check to be present,although there is nothing to say the tenant can't be there or indeed the LL if they give you sufficient notice of their attendance.

An annual GS certification is required by law and it is advisable that both tenants and the LL co operate with eachother to achieve it.
    in S 32 T 32 F 47
    out S 45 T 32 F 38
    2017 -32
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 8th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    surfer9
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:48 PM
    Yeah, I expected so. Just I read something that seemed to say the tenant needed to be.

Just our landlord tries to avoid doing anything. I think our landlord is expecting us to be here while they just sit at home with their feet up, even though it's their house to manage.
    • surfer9
    • By surfer9 8th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    surfer9
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:57 PM
    I'm not sure I will bother informing the landlord it is their duty. It is their problem.

No doubt the landlord will have a go at us for not arranging it and overseeing it, neglecting the fact it is their job to do so. Seeing as everything in this house is blamed on us and for us to manage, like fixing the internet because one one side of the house it didn't work - the landlord expected that tenant to sort it out himself. As well as her being our cleaner, but expecting the house to be clean for her before she comes around. As well as complaining she has to stay here for an extra few minutes more than an hour sometimes to clean, yet some weeks she doesn't even turn up.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 8th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    need an answer
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    So when does your current certificate expire?
    in S 32 T 32 F 47
    out S 45 T 32 F 38
    2017 -32
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 8th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    Slithery
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    I'm not sure I will bother informing the landlord it is their duty. It is their problem.
    Originally posted by surfer9
    So you're going to put your own safety at risk for no good reason.

Sounds like a stupid idea to me.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 8th Jan 18, 3:24 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    need an answer
    Yeah, I expected so. Just I read something that seemed to say the tenant needed to be.

Just our landlord tries to avoid doing anything. I think our landlord is expecting us to be here while they just sit at home with their feet up, even though it's their house to manage.
    Originally posted by surfer9
    I agree that the management of the property lies with the LL but they are not there to babysit the tenants.

I suspect your woes run deep with how they "manage" the property,but your posts also seem to suggest that you may nor be the most willing or proactive tenants either!
    in S 32 T 32 F 47
    out S 45 T 32 F 38
    2017 -32
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 3:28 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    I agree that the management of the property lies with the LL but they are not there to babysit the tenants.

I suspect your woes run deep with how they "manage" the property,but your posts also seem to suggest that you may nor be the most willing or proactive tenants either!
    Originally posted by need an answer

What's one of those? Is there a criteria?
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 8th Jan 18, 3:41 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    need an answer
    What's one of those? Is there a criteria?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    It's a new game,whereby you aim to match the PITA LL with the PITA tenant.

I'll be the LL,you can be the tenant!

minimum effort on both sides produces maximum agro for all...winner all round.
    in S 32 T 32 F 47
    out S 45 T 32 F 38
    2017 -32
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 8th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 2,970 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    Comms69
    It's a new game,whereby you aim to match the PITA LL with the PITA tenant.

I'll be the LL,you can be the tenant!

minimum effort on both sides produces maximum agro for all...winner all round.
    Originally posted by need an answer

I still don't understand.

What are your criteria for a good tenant? and a good LL?
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 8th Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    • 9,586 Posts
    • 12,899 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    Should anyone, particularly a tenant, find there is no valid current gas safety cert suggest they report via...
    https://extranet.hse.gov.uk/lfserver/external/lgsr1

Landlords can and have been fined or jailed for failing to abide by the (bleedin' obvious..) laws on gas safety.

It is the landlord who has responsibility: Too many landlords & agents seem to think they can demand tenants take time off work (& lose income) to do what is the landlord's responsibility. And then wonder why landlords are not, shall we say, universally admired.

General advice for tenants on gas safety..
    http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/faqtenant.htm

Artful: (Landlord)
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 08-01-2018 at 4:32 PM.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 8th Jan 18, 4:29 PM
    • 3,349 Posts
    • 3,580 Thanks
    cjdavies
    So you're going to put your own safety at risk for no good reason.

Sounds like a stupid idea to me.
    Originally posted by Slithery
    How many homeowners (Not landlords) bother having one done? I never have.
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 8th Jan 18, 4:32 PM
    • 721 Posts
    • 1,129 Thanks
    Slithery
    When I lived in houses that had gas I had one done every year when the boiler was serviced. All the homeowners that I know do the same.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 8th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 9,586 Posts
    • 12,899 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    How many homeowners (Not landlords) bother having one done? I never have.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Fairly typical: But I'll wager 5 to an agreed housing charity that for any new boiler installation you'll get & check the paperwork.

Best regards all!
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 8th Jan 18, 4:42 PM
    • 569 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    need an answer
    When I lived in houses that had gas I had one done every year when the boiler was serviced. All the homeowners that I know do the same.
    Originally posted by Slithery

As a home owner I have had my boiler serviced,although I will raise my hand up and say I have never had a CP12 issued as part of that service.

the CP12 certificate is not a requirement in privately owned homes and as such I have never requested one as part of the boiler service. I was last time given a similar form to confim a service had taken place but it was not a CP12.

Although it leads on to raise the question further of how many privately owned houses have co2 monitoring or smoke detectors which again are requirements in rental properties.(where applicable)
    Last edited by need an answer; 08-01-2018 at 4:46 PM.
    in S 32 T 32 F 47
    out S 45 T 32 F 38
    2017 -32
    • societys child
    • By societys child 8th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    • 5,219 Posts
    • 5,771 Thanks
    societys child
    I'm not sure I will bother informing the landlord it is their duty
    It is indeed their duty to provide a gas cert, but they don't have to be there.
    They could just give the person doing the testing a key so they can let themselves in. It's up to you whether you want to be there.

• G_M
    • By G_M 8th Jan 18, 6:09 PM
    • 44,392 Posts
    • 52,681 Thanks
    G_M
    I get my (home) boiler serviced/checked about every 2 years.

Until I made him get it serviced, my father had not had his looked at for nearly 20 years.

Other home-owners have annual breakdown contracts that include a service and get annual checks done meticulously.

Horses for courses. Balance risk and caution against cost and hasssle.

But when it comes to letting, then things are different because of the law. A LL who does not get an annual check done (note, it need not be a service) is a fool.

Whether a tenant prefers to be present when a stranger is in their home, or chooses to help out the LL by providing access, is entirely up to the tenant.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,146Posts Today

5,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • We all knew we'd win in the end. Never in doubt! ....walks away whistling

• Yeeesss. Phew. Wow. Uh. Oy yoy yoy

• It's interesting that 80% of the crowd are young women... According to the close ups we keep seeing anyway.

• Follow Martin