Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • movilogo
    • By movilogo 8th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    • 2,336Posts
    • 1,569Thanks
    movilogo
    What thermostat for boiler?
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:20 PM
    What thermostat for boiler? 8th Jan 18 at 12:20 PM
    My combi boiler has built in programmable timer. However, because it is old, the LCD screen is no longer working. Boiler is working fine.

As a result, I cannot modify heating program anymore!

What I want, is to transfer the programming mechanism from boiler to thermostat.

I understand I can fit smart thermostats (like Nest etc.) but I don't really need a smart thermostat. I can live with a standard thermostat as long as I can program it touching it physically.

What are the options? Internet search brings smart thermostats only.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 8th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 25,163 Posts
    • 68,774 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:16 PM
    Having just had smart meters installed, I really think that smart thermostats are the way to go. Living in a builder!!!8217;s house, we didn!!!8217;t have a thermostat at all for about three years, it sat in a box. I hust switched it on and off - utterly ridiculous as we!!!8217;d always come home to a cold house or a boiling one when we!!!8217;d forgotten to switch it off.

We have a touch screen programmable thermostat now but I know that we would save even more if we had a Nest.

I was merry on NYE and turned the boiler on to constant because I couldn!!!8217;t be bothered to look for the thermostat. The spike on the smart meter reading just over a few of hours shows what a difference just having a thermostat makes

The thermostat learning, but also just me being able to switch it on and off from anywhere, I am absolutely sure will save more money again. Just thinking about Sunday evening when we went out - our existing thermostat would have simply kept the house warm as if we were in as normal.

I think a pound here and there can add up relatively quickly and the payback time on the smart thermostat well within its own lifetime.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 08-01-2018 at 1:19 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • premkit
    • By premkit 8th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    premkit
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    Get a Hive or Nest installed, very easy to use on your phone or the controller.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 8th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 8,180 Posts
    • 9,061 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    Loads of programmable thermostats, and a choice of wired or wireless.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/wired-thermostats/cat4600002
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 9th Jan 18, 10:49 PM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 3,110 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:49 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 10:49 PM
    As Owain said you want a programmable room stat
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • starving artist
    • By starving artist 10th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    starving artist
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    I got this one which is apparently a rebadged honeywell but half the price. I found a lot of thermostats baffling to use but this one could not be simpler and works like a dream.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 10th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 3,173 Thanks
    benjus
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:43 PM
    I had this one for several years. It's cheap and no-frills (no touchscreens and suchlike, you have to program it using buttons) but it did the job perfectly. I decided to switch to a Nest in the end, but the thermostat was still working fine.

(that one will need to be connected with wires to the boiler/wiring loom - there's also a wireless version - model TRT037 - but of course it costs more)
    Last edited by benjus; 10-01-2018 at 2:45 PM.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,889Posts Today

8,247Users online

Martin's Twitter