Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    • 8,714Posts
    • 5,075Thanks
    RFW
    What's the lowest you've been accused of ripping a customer off for?
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:59 AM
    What's the lowest you've been accused of ripping a customer off for? 8th Jan 18 at 11:59 AM
    Not had one of these for a while, customer felt like they were being ripped off. The (obviously unwitting) deceit amounted to 74p.

If I ever do decide to turn to the dark side I'd set my sights to at least above a pound

Also if a seller makes an error you'll probably get more by way of recompense if you don't accuse them of being a thief. This customer got a 74p refund as opposed to the few pounds of extra goods I would have sent if she'd been nice.
Page 1
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 8th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • 3,402 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:36 PM
    I once sold a second hand home phone and he complained saying the rechargeable batteries are an essential part of the phone as it is inoperative without them and therefore should be included. I said that they are as old as the phone and he said he still wanted them (think it was a pre-amble to him saying he wanted the cost of a brand new set of batteries). However I still had the scanky old batteries and sent them to him and he left positive feedback. I expect they lasted about half a phone call.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 8th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 60,477 Posts
    • 43,108 Thanks
    soolin
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    I was reading another forum at the weekend and a US seller was getting hassle over those little plastic hooks that you use to attach a bauble to the Christmas tree. Seller had shown each bauble hanging in situ and as is standard in the US had the disclaimer 'bauble only, tree and other items not included' . Buyer was complaining that the plastic hanging tag was not included and it was part of the bauble and not an extra. As seller pointed out, she bought them at around a buck per 1000 yet buyer still wanted a huge discount on an item not as described!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • zackyv6661
    • By zackyv6661 8th Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    zackyv6661
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:13 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 2:13 PM

I sold a few pairs of analogue thumb grips for Xbox/Playstation controllers. I checked all of them before sending out, but had one customer who complained that they arrived "completely destroyed". They simply asked for their money back. I asked for them to provide a photo of the damaged goods, as I know I would not send anything out that was in a sorry state. I also offered to replace them if the buyer would send the "damaged" ones back to me (at no charge to them) or provide a photo of the damage. No photo was provided and the buyer completely ignored any contact I made, so the claim was dropped. Bizzare!!
    Credit Card: 5350 (5210 remaining)
    Overdraft: 1498.68
    Loan 1: 5000 (2252.26 remaining)
    Loan 2: 1656.90 - PAID!!
    Very: 703.97 (553.97 remaining)
    Make 2018 in 2018 Challenge: 291.51/2018
    • RFW
    • By RFW 8th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 8,714 Posts
    • 5,075 Thanks
    RFW
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 5:41 PM
    I was reading another forum at the weekend and a US seller was getting hassle over those little plastic hooks that you use to attach a bauble to the Christmas tree. Seller had shown each bauble hanging in situ and as is standard in the US had the disclaimer 'bauble only, tree and other items not included' . Buyer was complaining that the plastic hanging tag was not included and it was part of the bauble and not an extra. As seller pointed out, she bought them at around a buck per 1000 yet buyer still wanted a huge discount on an item not as described!
    Originally posted by soolin
    Several years ago I sold a load of utensil racks for about 10p each. The buyer complained there was no utensils with them, the fact that they weren't mentioned or pictured didn't seem to matter.
    When they have radio phone ins of daft announcements on packets ("Warning: peanuts may contain peanuts") you can bet that they've most likely been triggered by a numpty customer.
    When I've sold in the US it has surprised me that some people asking questions could ever manage to turn a computer on. They do seem to have an abundance of "smart geniuses".
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 8th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 4,098 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:18 PM
    A friend works for Tesco.

A couple of years ago they had a 1 each deal on those one-off barbeque trays - the tin foil trays ready filled with charcoal.

A customer brought 6 of them back and threw them across the counter at my friend, screaming that she 'been diddled'.

Seems she expected each 1 pack to have steaks, chicken pieces, burgers and sausages as per the picture on the packaging.
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 9th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    epm-84
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    One left feedback for me complaining about poor quality packaging considering the high postage cost. I charged around 1.30 for an A4 cardboard envelope and Large Letter stamp. I had to buy one individual A4 card envelope from a local independent stationery shop, so it wasn't cheap to obtain.
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 9th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 1,377 Posts
    • 4,331 Thanks
    epm-84
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    A friend works for Tesco.

A couple of years ago they had a 1 each deal on those one-off barbeque trays - the tin foil trays ready filled with charcoal.

A customer brought 6 of them back and threw them across the counter at my friend, screaming that she 'been diddled'.

Seems she expected each 1 pack to have steaks, chicken pieces, burgers and sausages as per the picture on the packaging.
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    By the same logic she must think there's a bowl inside a tin of Campbell's soup!
    • Sam Fallow
    • By Sam Fallow 9th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 1,938 Thanks
    Sam Fallow
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 11:29 PM
    Last year I sold an air filter for a car (cheap at between 5 - 10) and the buyer wanted a partial refund because the original box was tatty. I had them listed as New Old Stock and I asked them to return the item, but they said the item was fine but the box was tatty and could they have a partial refund.

Unless they were putting the item on display or giving it as a gift I couldn't see what the problem was. They decided not to return it.
    I don't like morning people. Or mornings. Or people.
    • vacheron
    • By vacheron 11th Jan 18, 8:44 AM
    • 831 Posts
    • 764 Thanks
    vacheron
    I was once informed that I had stated 60p postage and packing on an auction, but the postage label "clearly" said 58p.

I told him I would gladly refund the 2p providing he returned the 10p padded envelope to me so that I could use it again!

No further contact.
    The rich buy assets.
    The poor only have expenses.
    The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

2,016Users online

Martin's Twitter