Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • halexis91
    • By halexis91 8th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 44Posts
    • 7Thanks
    halexis91
    Parking Charge Notice - myparkingcharge.co.uk
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    Parking Charge Notice - myparkingcharge.co.uk 8th Jan 18 at 11:31 AM
    Hi, I haven't had a car that long so I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light or give me some advice on how to handle this.

The week before Christmas I parked in a private car park in Leeds city centre. I paid for my ticke and displayed it in my windscreen but when I got back there was a warden hovering and a parking charge notice on my window

I spoke with the warden and asked him why i'd been ticketed. He advised the section I'd poked in was for permit holders only - apparently it was private land at the bottom of the private car park. I apologised but advised the warden that signage should be clearer as there was nothing major to say I couldn't park there. He advised I should appeal which I did online.

I've just received the attached email from them (link below). I'm slightly annoyed with myself as my boyfriend just advised that if I didn't appeal they probably wouldn't have been able to send a notice because they wouldn't have been able to find my address details out.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can give advice on what my next step should be. Should I just wait for the notice and pay it or should I stand my ground? I hear all sorts about private companies ticketing for the sake of it but have no experience at all.
    Thanks in advance!

https://ibb.co/nwWemm
Page 1
    • waamo
    • By waamo 8th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 3,392 Posts
    • 4,508 Thanks
    waamo
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:33 AM
    At the top of this board is a thread that tells Newbies to read it first. It contains a step by step guide to deal with tickets.
    This space for hire.
    • halexis91
    • By halexis91 8th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    halexis91
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    Oh apologies, I'll have a read of it now!
    • halexis91
    • By halexis91 8th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    halexis91
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    I've had a read through the newbie sticky, thanks for the recommendation.

However, I'm slightly worried after reading the following;

BUT IPC members are different:

In the case of CURRENT IPC AOS MEMBERS ONLY, we now advise to WAIT a month or so, for a Notice to Keeper to arrive and then challenge once online or by email, as the KEEPER, not driver, using the template appeal for IPC members, as shown below.

The fact I appealed the decision on the day, does this mean I now can't appeal using the template provided in the stickies thread? I wish I'd of seen the thread before appealing! I'm slightly worried that I've dropped myself in it and accepted liability in my appeal letter. Unfortunately, they dont even send a copy and I cant remember what I've said to them!

I'm guessing I should wait for them to send the notice through the post. So confusing.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 58,434 Posts
    • 71,937 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    • 9th Jan 18, 12:11 AM
    Makes no difference, as IPC firms will not cancel and IAS is considered a kangaroo court. Wait till BW Legal try a small claim this year (or whenever) and then you win with our help. Don't panic, we win on this forum.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• halexis91
    • By halexis91 9th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    halexis91
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    Sorry I'm not too sure what you mean. I've just received their appeal rejection letter. Can someone help me with what to do next?
    Are you advising I should wait until they start charging me for the money. Really starting to panic now
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 9th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 3,413 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    WHy on earth are you panicking? Havent you read around on these lot?

Hang tight. Ignore debt collectors. Come back if you get a letter before action or a court claim form. We have around a 99% win rate on here at small claims.
    • halexis91
    • By halexis91 9th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    halexis91
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 9th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    As I'm reading the stickies I'm realising I've done a lot of things the newbie stickies have said not to do (appealing right away, supplying personal details, admitting to being the driver etc). Wish I'd have read here before I appealed.

I have a lot of faith in you guys but I guess it's just because I'm a new driver and experiencing this sort of thing for the first time.

I will take yours and @coupon-mad's advice and ignore any debt collection letters that may come through.

THANK YOU
    • halexis91
    • By halexis91 22nd Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    halexis91
    • 22nd Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    BW Legal...letter before claim?
    • 22nd Mar 18, 12:27 PM
    Hi there, I've read all stickies and have a question about my situation. I know what I'm going through isn't unique to me but I just needed some advice on the letter I've just received.

I recently received a letter from BW legal about how VCS has passed my account to them. They threatened in the letter to take this to court proceedings.

Can someone advise if I should class this as my letter before claim?
    Then I know whether to respond using the template in post 2 on the newbies thread.

I've received the notice to driver already as I appealed early on like an idiot before reading the newbies sticky.

Many thanks in advance!!
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 22nd Mar 18, 12:38 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 7,393 Thanks
    KeithP
    I recently received a letter from BW legal about how VCS has passed my account to them. They threatened in the letter to take this to court proceedings.

Can someone advise if I should class this as my letter before claim?
    Originally posted by halexis91
    There is no way that anyone can tell from the info supplied.
    Please show us the letter.

I've received the notice to driver already as I appealed early on like an idiot before reading the newbies sticky.
    What do you mean?

A Notice to Driver is usually a windscreen ticket.
    A Notice to Keeper is usually sent through the post some time after the event.
    • halexis91
    • By halexis91 22nd Mar 18, 12:43 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    halexis91
    Thanks for the speedy response Keith. I'm really sorry I don't have the letter with me but happy to post one this evening.

I can confirm that I received a notice to Keeper on the day of the incident. I was advised to appeal by the warden which I did before reading on here.

A few weeks later I then received a notice to driver letter through the post.
    I've ignored everything I've received up to now but read in the sticky thread I should reply to anything legal like a letter before claim etc. Please correct me if I misunderstood.

Will get a photo of the BW legal letter uploaded later today! Should I upload images of the other letters I've received also?

Thanks so much.
    • halexis91
    • By halexis91 22nd Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    halexis91

Please find a photo of the BW Legal letter attached. The letter came with an accompanying letter from VCS.

Notice of intended court proceedings, notice to driver and notice to keeper also received. I'm able to send upload images of these letters too if required.

Thank you for your time so far!!
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 22nd Mar 18, 3:02 PM
    • 17,992 Posts
    • 28,489 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    I can confirm that I received a notice to Keeper on the day of the incident. I was advised to appeal by the warden which I did before reading on here.
    You wouldn't get a Notice to Keeper on the day - it would be a Notice to Driver (windscreen ticket, or handed to you by the parking drone).

A Notice to Keeper is received through the post - but why did you get that if you appealed immediately on getting the NtD. Is there just one parking charge you are dealing with?

Was there any admission in your appeal as to who the driver was?

Please find a photo of the BW Legal letter attached. The letter came with an accompanying letter from VCS.
    That hasn't worked - you can't post images direct to the forum as a newbie. This is how you do it.

To upload a photo/scan link, you first need to host it on a free photo hosting site (like Dropbox, Imurg or Tinypic), copy the URL, paste it here, but change the http to hxxp and we'll do the conversion. Newbies can't directly upload links to photos/scans until they've got a few posts under their belt.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • halexis91
    • By halexis91 22nd Mar 18, 3:08 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    halexis91
    Thanks for getting back to me. I do apologise...I received a notice to driver on the windscreen on the day of the incident and then a notice to keeper through the post.

I did in fact admit to being the driver on the generic appeal form on the myparkingcharge.co.uk website. Looking back I know this was stupid now but it was before I started researching the incident on the forums.

Here's another link...hxxps://ibb.co/ci3BVH

Please let me know if it's still not working and I'll try another image host.

I can confirm I'm only dealing with 1 parking ticket.

many thanks again in advance
    • The Deep
    • By The Deep 22nd Mar 18, 3:15 PM
    • 9,494 Posts
    • 9,252 Thanks
    The Deep
    This is an entirely unregulated industry which is scamming the public with inflated claims for minor breaches of contracts for alleged parking offences, aided and abetted by a handful of low-rent solicitors.

Parking Eye, CPM, Smart, and another company have already been named and shamed, as has Gladstones Solicitors, and BW Legal, (these two law firms take hundreds of these cases to court each year). They lose most of them, and have been reported to the regulatory authority by an M.P. for unprofessional conduct

Hospital car parks and residential complex tickets have been especially mentioned.

The problem has become so rampant that MPs have agreed to enact a Bill to regulate these scammers. Watch the video of the Second Reading in the HofC recently.

http://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/2f0384f2-eba5-4fff-ab07-cf24b6a22918?in=12:49:41

and complain in the most robust terms to your MP. With a fair wind most of these companies may well be put out of business by Christmas.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 22nd Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 7,681 Posts
    • 7,393 Thanks
    KeithP
    http://ibb.co/ci3BVH

So this is exactly the same incident that was being discussed in your earlier thread:

Please ask a board guide to merge your two threads.

You are able to post live links and have done so on that earlier thread. No need for the hxxp stuff.
    • nosferatu1001
    • By nosferatu1001 22nd Mar 18, 3:17 PM
    • 2,748 Posts
    • 3,413 Thanks
    nosferatu1001
    • halexis91
    • By halexis91 22nd Mar 18, 4:15 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    halexis91
    Sorry Keith I'm so bad at this...can you direct me to a board guide that can merge the threads?
    Also does it appear as though the letter I uploaded is in fact a letter before claim?
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 22nd Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 17,992 Posts
    • 28,489 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    Sorry Keith I'm so bad at this...can you direct me to a board guide that can merge the threads?
    Also does it appear as though the letter I uploaded is in fact a letter before claim?
    Crabman, savvy or soolin. Bottom r/h corner of the forum thread list, one page back from this one. Just click on one of their names then click 'Send Message' and then write your request.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Crabman
    • By Crabman 22nd Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 9,675 Posts
    • 7,095 Thanks
    Crabman
    Duplicate threads have been merged
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

466Posts Today

4,917Users online

Martin's Twitter