Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BradZ
    • By BradZ 8th Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 1Thanks
    BradZ
    Exchanged on a new build and meeting booked in with site manager
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    Exchanged on a new build and meeting booked in with site manager 8th Jan 18 at 11:00 AM
    We have exchanged contracts on our first home which is a new build.

We have just had the developer ring up and booked a meeting with the site manager this week at the house. She said it will take 90 minutes and they will go through how to use things etc.

Has anyone done this and know what to expect? Im having to go on my own as my partner is working, my partner said to mention any snags etc.

Just wanted some advice as its all new to me and never done it before so want to know what to expect and if theres anything i need to look out for.

thanks.
    Last edited by BradZ; 08-01-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Page 1
    • Lucky Duck
    • By Lucky Duck 8th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 173 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    Lucky Duck
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    Presumably the house is substantially complete?

If so then its a good opportunity to identify anything that needs attention prior to legal completion, otherwise I'd expect to the agent to give you a brief introduction as to how the heating and other systems works and the process for 'drying out' the house.

They should take you through this again when they give you the keys on legal completion.
    • BradZ
    • By BradZ 8th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BradZ
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:20 AM
    Yes the house is complete, we are due to completed and get the keys on the 19th.
    Thank you
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 8th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 4,733 Posts
    • 1,758 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    Is there someone, a parent perhaps, who could go with you? They can have a good look without rose coloured glasses, at the house build quality, check garden fences and all the usual new build problem areas.
    See here for an idea of what to look for, http://www.nhbc.co.uk/nhbcpublications/literaturelibrary/homeownerdocuments/filedownload,42392,en.pdf
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 8th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 25,194 Posts
    • 68,802 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:22 PM
    Mention any snags? You need to go around that house with a fine tooth comb and a notebook so you can document it all room by room. Mentioning things is going to get nothing done - neither a proper list or a remedy!

You won!!!8217;t have time to snag properly at all in that meeting.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • JoJo1978
    • By JoJo1978 8th Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 350 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    JoJo1978
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    If you cannot take anyone with more experience with you, then take lots of photos. You've exchanged so you have a legal interest, it will also help partner who can't be there and serve as evidence of snags and show to other people for 2nd opinion.
    Hamster in the wheel (London) 1999-2017
    Mortgage free since 2015; Pension pot sorted 2017
    Part-time gigger and charity volunteer 2018
    • tim9966
    • By tim9966 8th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 440 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    tim9966
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    I had 2 meetings before I moved into mine. The first about a month before and the house was still being painted, and neither the bath room or kitchen had been fitted, but it was a chance to see the layout, and make any late minute adjustments.

The second was a proper check over where they showed me the boiler, central heating controls, stop !!!!, electric and gas meters, and how everything else worked.

Taking lots of photos is a great idea as well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

891Posts Today

6,418Users online

Martin's Twitter